Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rick139
Paper Tape
Views: 769
Message 1 of 5

Hard Drive for the Thinkpad Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter II

I purchased the Thinkpad Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter II P/N 43R1980 as one step to have a Raid configuration for my W500 with Windows XP.  My question is, will any serial ATA hard drive fit the adapter? Lest you think the answer is obviously yes, my former computer was a Toshiba Portege. Toshiba's hard bay adapter required a special fitting for the hard drive, presumability so one would have to buy the hard drive from Toshiba rather than a third-party vendor. Clever - a ten-cent part increased the cost of the hard drive by several hundred dollars. From the Thinkpad manual the adapter appears to have a standard fitting, but I would like conformation.

Many thanks for an information.

Rick

JimW700
Token Ring
Views: 747
Message 2 of 5

Re: Hard Drive for the Thinkpad Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter II

I have exactly that Media Bay Adaptor II for my W700. I purchased a 2.3 inch Seagate 320 7200 RPM for this adaptor. While it fits and works, with out the special attachments that apparently come from Lenovo with the drives yo9u purchase from them, it is slightly loose both vertically and laterally. I have been looking for the p/n for this skinny adaptor shims/rails, but have been unsuccessful. So I have just taken two rubber bands one for each side to limit the vertical fit and it did the same for the lateral. The drive is pretty snug in the adaptor.

One of this forum's moderators, AndyP, has been very helpful on this issue. He has used the significantly cheaper HDD from other vendors with out having the Lenovo HDD special pieces and he said he has not added anything to minimize vertical or lateral motion possibility.
Jim

JimW700
Token Ring
Views: 726
Message 3 of 5

Correction, 2.5 not 2.3 inch Seagate
rick139
Paper Tape
Views: 701
Message 4 of 5

Jim:

Thanks for the info. I have ordered a hard drive and will see the type of connection. The old hard drives had a double row of short, stiff pins - I thought they were the standard. The hard drives for my last Toshiba had gold? plating on a plastic strip - sorry I do not know the technical term - call them type 2 connections. The Thinkpad Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter II has a type 2 connection. Hopefully type 2 connections are now the standard and the hard drive I have ordered will also have type 2.

I will update after it arrives.

Rick 

rick139
Paper Tape
Views: 669
Message 5 of 5

The hard rive arrived and it indeed had a type 2 connector so all is well in Lenovo Land.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors