cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nuspieds
Punch Card
Views: 1,870
Message 1 of 14

Has anyone been able to install Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 on W700 ?

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 on my W700 and am unable to install Vista SP2.  It always says "Installation was unsuccessful."  Furthermore, the System Readiness Tool freezes (I let it run for 5 hours and it never ended!  The CPU utilization was idle).

If I restore to the factory installation, SP2 installs OK.  However, when I uninstalled my apps and even booted in Safe mode WITHOUT non-Microsoft apps and services, SP2 still didn't work.

Has anyone gotten SP2 to install on their W700 running Vista Ultimate x64?

Thanks.

JimW700
Token Ring
Views: 1,867
Message 2 of 14

Re: Has anyone been able to install Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 on W700 ?

I am a one week old W700 with Vista Ultimate 64 bit and am now up through SP1.  I have had difficulties with system and sppoken via telephone with Tech Support.  They do not recommend SP2 at this time.  They say it is too new and too many things are happening unexpectantly.  They need time to sort it all out. 

As a consequence I am slugging through this W700's problems.  I have installed many of the newest drivers in hopes of complete resolution.  I will likely be back on the telephone Tech Support by Monday morning to resolve residual issues.

Jim

nuspieds
Punch Card
Views: 1,862
Message 3 of 14

Jim,

What problems are you having?

I've had mine for 6 months now and it has been working fine.  I only have Vista issues, which explains why I so desperately want SP2 installed (hoping, of course, that it resolves a lot of those issues and not creating any ones that are worse! Smiley Wink ).

-Nusaram

Message Edited by nuspieds on 05-31-2009 04:50 PM
Message Edited by nuspieds on 05-31-2009 04:50 PM
JimW700
Token Ring
Views: 1,851
Message 4 of 14

Hi Nusaram,

As for problems read both W700 threads on nVidia and BD-RE BlyRay DVD polling.  I am not the only one with these problems.

Jim

system11
Token Ring
Views: 1,822
Message 5 of 14

SP2 installed cleanly on mine, it hasn't made any difference to the issues I had though. 
nuspieds
Punch Card
Views: 1,798
Message 6 of 14

That certainly is an odd and annoying issue with the nVidia card, but no such problems like that for me though.

If I restore my system to factory (Vista SP1), then the SP2 update runs fine. I called Vista SP2 support and they remote-controlled in to my machine, MSConfig'd it to only load MS drivers and that still didn't work. Booting in safe mode didn't work either.

I also uninstalled most of my custom apps, and still the same result. But since SP2 worked on the factory state, the issue is obviously related to some sort of software installation. Since I removed most of mine, I'm thinking it could be due to one of MS' own patch.

Message Edited by nuspieds on 06-02-2009 07:18 AM
GatorBob
HDMI
Views: 1,770
Message 7 of 14

I installed SP2 mid-May and observed no issues.  W700 built 12/08, Vista Ultimate 64, 4 megs RAM, max speed processor and max mem NVidia.
cosooner
Paper Tape
Views: 1,624
Message 8 of 14

I have the same system as GatorBob and my only issue after installing SP2 was that I needed to reinstall the nVidia drivers.  (HueyPRO has not worked since the Vista 32 to 64 upgrade.)
JimW700
Token Ring
Views: 1,615
Message 9 of 14

I am still having the difficulties I have described in several threads.  I am still at SP1 and based upon many posts and observation of what is happening, believe as a techical investigative system administrator/IT expert, that problem revolve arond the Intel firmware on the board being less than debugged ... both a Lenovo and Intel problem that we the customers are trying to jury rig or get lucky to resolve.  A great uprising of cusomers at Lenovo tech support is required to provide a computer worthy of over $6,000 purchase price.  This is now going on for more than three months that I can tell at that is not reasonable at over $6000 in my humble opinion.

What do you think?  Let's join forces in synergy since our individual voices can go without definitive action.

Jim

GatorBob
HDMI
Views: 1,609
Message 10 of 14

"I installed SP2 mid-May and observed no issues.  W700 built 12/08, Vista Ultimate 64, 4 megs RAM, max speed processor and max mem NVidia."

I cannot believe I was so stupid as to write the above reply.  For whatever reason, I thought I had installed SP2 ... but I had not.  I install and play with a lot of stuff and somehow I concluded that I had installed SP2.  My bad.

I finally did install SP2 yesterday.  So far, it's been without incident.  After installing SP2, I deleted TVSU, then reinstalled TVSU 3.14, then installed Lenovo's TVSU patch.  Nothing negative or positive to report at this point in time..  Everything appears to be running OK.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors