Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mindriot
Fanfold Paper
Views: 495
Message 1 of 21

Has anyone tried to re-paste the P72?

When running extensive benchmarks, my P72 did not thermal throttle or hit the 90s. I installed Adobe software and got to work. After about an hour or two, I noticed that my P72 became very warm which surprised me as I read these machines stay cool and quiet. At this point I ran a simple benchmark and two cores throttled. 

I'm starting to think XEON chips just don't belong in laptops. Has anyone tried to repaste? From what I can gather getting to the CPU and GPU in the P72 may not be a simple task. Has anyone tried?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 465
Message 2 of 21

Re: Has anyone tried to re-paste the P72?

Certainly, it's your machine and you can do what you want with it, but it's a common story on the internet that you can do a better job of spreading paste than the factory where the machines are made.  I spent some looking at the results from people I think of as the "overclocking crazies" who were testing various methods of spreading paste onto chip dies.  Lines, spots, x-patterns, etc. were all tried.  They used a transparent heatsink to press against the chips so they could see and assess the coverage.  The tiny dot pattern applied to the fan at the factory gave MUCH better results than any of the manual application techniques.  It is also silly to think that a computer maker will try to save $0.10 by using cheap paste on a $3000 computer.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
tecknot
Fanfold Paper
Views: 452
Message 3 of 21

I don't think the heat issue is exclusively a CPU or Xeon problem.  I have a P72 with an i7 8750H and it is continually getting hot and the fans go on quite regularly, much more than my previous (ASUS) laptop did.  It's a bit of a let down, but I guess there is not much I can do about it.  I just bought mine and have been using it daily for only a month.

Kind regards,

tecknot

P.S.  If you ask me, it's not worth repasting until the laptop has aged a year or so.  Not sure how much affect the heat will have on this machine, so repasting sooner might not be a bad idea.  I understand repasting can be tricky and the use of a special vise may be necessary particulary for Xeons.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 437
Message 4 of 21

These are 45-watt CPUs.  I would expect the fans to run much of the time the machines are being used.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
bobbie424242
802.11n
Views: 417
Message 5 of 21

If you do a heavy CPU workload for a long time, it's not going to keep cool and quiet.

That's an unrealistic  expectation.

Though an undervolt can help to keep temperatures lower in normal usage and keep higher turbo frequency.

Thunderbolt 3 and connected external monitors also contribute to augment the temps by a few degrees.

Also in my experience, idle temps are a few degrees higher on Windows than Linux, possibly because Windows has more stuff running in the background.

Lenovo ThinkPad P72 - i7-8850H / 16GB DDR4-2400 / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / 1TB HDD / 17.3" UHD / Intel UHD 630 / Quadro P600 / 99W Battery / Linux distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed
tecknot
Fanfold Paper
Views: 409
Message 6 of 21

That's a good point, Rich.

Hi Bobbie, it just so happens that my fans are going off right now and all I am doing is reading the Lenovo forums which seems to be typical.  Perhaps I should try undervolting.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Mindriot.

Kind regards,

tecknot

djthumpdj
Fanfold Paper
Views: 270
Message 7 of 21

Has anyone undervolted their P72? I'm curious but completely lack experience

Vapormatt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 241
Message 8 of 21

I think all this under volting should not be needed, all the W station laptops should be able to run at full load 24/7 with out throttling the CPU through over heating. reducing the voltage can help but its not the long term solution to poorly installed heatsink, with poor thermal paste application.

If lenovo choose to use a poor quality thermal paste, with poor application why should the end user have to suffer with a throttling CPU not running at the spec it should. after changing my thermal paste to thermal grizzly i saw very good results to the point i can now run flat out and maintain full turbo boost in single core applications with zero throttling. Even running all cores stress test its now fine and dosnt throttle down like it did before i changed the paste.

Its upto lenovo the make sure the thermal paste used is good enough, it should not harden and crack which is common on the thermal paste used on thinkpads. mine was nearly set hard with poor application and visible cracking across the paste used.

If you have a new laptop RMA it for thermal issues, dont just put up with it. why should you! all these laptops should run at full spec 24/7

djthumpdj
Fanfold Paper
Views: 223
Message 9 of 21

I fully agree that they "should" be using the top spec materials... but we all know they aren't :-\
Do I need to remind anyone of all the reports and complaints about the P71? I waited a loooong time after release to order my P72, wanted to hear any reports of throttling complaints.
I have the Xeon 2186 with a base clock of 2.9 and a boost clock of 4.8
Under stable loads on 1/2 the cores I'm seeing 3.4Mhz after running for ~10 minutes.

Whats your definition of throttling? Would you call it anything below 2.9Mhz? or anything below full throttle?

I would like to squeeze the most out of this "mega machine" and considering repasting or trying to undervolt.

Any/all input would be appreciated Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Vapormatt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 177
Message 10 of 21

If your boost clock is 4.8ghz it should be abble to maintain 4.8ghz and remain below the throttling temp under load. no point advertising a boost clock of 4.8ghz if the machine canot maintain this level. 4.8ghz boost for 30 seconds is no good if it then throttles to a lower speed of 3.4ghz thats 1.4ghz slower than the advertised speed.

Speedstep is a tech that allows your CPU to run at a lower clock speed to save power, so at 2.9ghz your CPU is at idle and not using much processor power, ask your computer to encode a video or compress a large file and it should boost to the spec of the CPU and maintain that speed until the video is encoded or file compressed. if the CPU starts to heat up and get to the recommended Max delta TJC ( intel provide the specific specs for each CPU) say 97c then the CPU will slow down to try and maintain a temp below TJC. If your machine throttles down because its getting hot it can only mean inefficient cooling, either the cooling is of poor design, or the thermal paste has hardened and no longer provides a good thermal interface to the heatsink to transfer the heat away from the CPU. When the machine is under load encoding ect and the temp rises the cooling fan increases speed to cool the CPU and remove heat so the CPU can maintain its recommended boost clock speed.

The fan speed is controlled by the logic board or motherboard which ever you wish to call it, it reads the temp of the CPU see's that its getting hot so increases the fan speed to take the heat away from the heatsink that sits over the CPU and GFX card which with good contact and good condition thermal paste it should be able to do. and also maintain the Full speed of that CPU keeping it with in its Max TJC delta.

Some will say you can under volt your CPU using software to do so. this is true you can under volt your CPU to produce less heat, we are talking only a few C difference with 0.1mv to 0.12mv but with the risk that 30 mins into a video decode your machine might crash as the CPU is running on less than the recommended voltage. ( each intel CPU comes with its VID which is recommended voltage )so if you choose this method make sure its 100% stable before doing anything important, you could lose your current work or at worst corrup windows completely.

If your machine is under warranty and you suffer from over heating then an RMA back to lenovo to fix is recommended. if you are tech minded and wish to replace the poor thermal paste with a better one you will see substantial results doing so. but of course this is at your own risk. personally i have replaced mine with thermal grizzly which has transformed my machine with over a 20c drop in load temps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors