cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Max1985
Paper Tape
Views: 5,817
Message 1 of 9

Help! Lenovo P51 is plugged in, but the battery is not charging and the power led is off.

Hello everybody,

Since today I have a problem with my Lenovo P51 workstation laptop. 

When the charger is plugged in and the laptop is turned off, the small ac adapter plugged-in indicator led on the back is turned on as normal. When I power on the laptop, the led will turn off and the laptop will receive no power at all. When the battery is removed, it is possible to boot into Windows, but after a few seconds the laptop will turn off.

I hope you guys can help me! This laptop is mandatory for my study.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Max

andrewlg
Punch Card
Views: 5,801
Message 2 of 9

Re: Help! Lenovo P51 is plugged in, but the battery is not charging and the power led is off.

I'm no expert, but I believe that this is normal behavior for Airplane Mode, in that it will charge the laptop when turned off only. Is this mode turned on?

Max1985
Paper Tape
Views: 5,796
Message 3 of 9

Re: Help! Lenovo P51 is plugged in, but the battery is not charging and the power led is off.

Yes that was it! I mis clicked the airplane mode, but disabled it immediately after. The next time I started up the computer it acts like no power cord is connected to the laptop. 

But the issue was the airplane mode in the power management window in Windows. When you disable the airplane mode at the internet options, the airplane mode in the power menu will still stay active! After resetting this to high performance the problem was fixed.

This is really something that should be patched by Lenovo or Microsoft! People can return their laptops to the shop because they might think it is defect if they don't troubleshoot themselves....

Thanks you some much for the help! Now I can finally take a shower after the heavy sweating haha.

andrewlg
Punch Card
Views: 5,756
Message 4 of 9

Good news! Glad to help. I do agree with your additional comments.

needhelpwithp51
Paper Tape
Views: 5,199
Message 5 of 9

Hello, I am having the same exact issue, but my computer will only flash on for like half a second, so I am not able to check the airplane mode option. Is there any additional information you can give me leading up to how you were able to/how I might be able to fix my Lenova P51? 

Max1985
Paper Tape
Views: 5,155
Message 6 of 9

In my situation it was possible to charge the P51 when its was turned off. When I turned the laptop on, the power was shut down after about half a second like in your situation. Is it possible to charge the battery for a while and boot in to Windows? 

DaveW530
What's DOS?
Views: 5,139
Message 7 of 9

when my new Lenovo P51 is plugged in the battery is not charging and the power led is off. When the laptop is shut down the power led is on and the battery is charging. Windows 10 professional is updated and the airplane mode is off. I've no idea how to solve this terrible issue, there is anybody can help me please ?

Max1985
Paper Tape
Views: 5,135
Message 8 of 9

DaveW530, did you also check the power options? When you disable the airplane mode you also have to change this in the power settings manually. image_thumb_7C11566C

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,094
Message 9 of 9

I believe a 90w charger will charge the battery when the laptop is turned off

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors