Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altoid666
Token Ring
Views: 1,432
Message 1 of 6

Help Needed In Setting Up Sierra Wireless EM 7455

So far, after purchasing a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) Page Plus Dual Sim Card, I have learned that only certain Sim Cards are compatible with the internal Sierra Wirless EM 7455 Wireless/Cellular modem of my P51.  Page Plus is not compatible.

I want to get an inexpensive Prepaid BYOD Sim Card (month by month without automatic renewal)...any suggestions?

After an unsuccessful activation attempt with Page Plus..(Which was convoluted an unintuitave) ...can anyone describe a successful activation with a BYOD prepaid Sim Card?...

I have tried using theWindows 10 Wireless/Cellular App...Not compatible with my P51.

The Internal Sierra Wireless EM 7455 Model is capable with 4G Wireless/Cellular connections with fall back to 3G when the signal isn't strong enough.  

Visited my local Verizon Wireless Store and they just look at me funny when I say I want a prepaid Sim Card for my Lenovao Laptop.

Thanks,

Altoid666

P51, 1535M Xeon, 512GB SSD x2,64GB DDR4 ECC, Nvidia M2200M, Win 10 Pro, 4K IPS , Intel vPro, Sierra EM7455, WWAN, Model 20 HH.
T530,Core i7-3820QM,16GB Ram, Samsung 850 SSD 512 GB, Blutooth 4.0,Ultimate-N 6300, 15.6 FHD, Nvidia NVS 5400M., All software current.,Windows 10 Pro x64 , Office 2013 Professional
GTgamo
Token Ring
Views: 1,401
Message 2 of 6

Re: Help Needed In Setting Up Sierra Wireless EM 7455

If you are sure the Verizon sim is what you need - i found this after a simple google search.

Verizon 4g sim activation kit

Did you find any useful information? Everyone in the Lenovo forums can thank other members by clicking on the kudos star to the lower left.

Altoid666
Token Ring
Views: 1,388
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the info on Verizon's 4G Sim Activation Kit.  I was unable to determine that the Sierra Wireless/Cellular EM7455 was compatible with this kit.  I went to Verizons web site and entered the Sierra EM7455 into the compatibility search and no answer came back.  I am not committed to Verizon for my carrier; any BYOD Prepaid Sim Card would suffice.  The root of my original question comes into play "Has anyone successfully installed a Sim Card" and "Which one was used"?  Also any issues that came up during the activation/installation?

I am reluctant to pay for a particular Sim Card and later to find out that it is incompatible.  All carriers are focused and have experience on Smart Phones not Laptops with a built in modem.

Thanks,

Altoid666

P51, 1535M Xeon, 512GB SSD x2,64GB DDR4 ECC, Nvidia M2200M, Win 10 Pro, 4K IPS , Intel vPro, Sierra EM7455, WWAN, Model 20 HH.
T530,Core i7-3820QM,16GB Ram, Samsung 850 SSD 512 GB, Blutooth 4.0,Ultimate-N 6300, 15.6 FHD, Nvidia NVS 5400M., All software current.,Windows 10 Pro x64 , Office 2013 Professional
Omiomio
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,358
Message 4 of 6

Hey, I have a P50 with the same network card and got a Tmobile sim to work in it. If it helps they had a promo that gave me 2 gb data for 10$, not sure how good a deal that is but sounded good to me. Good luck!

GTgamo
Token Ring
Views: 1,347
Message 5 of 6

Why don't you remove a sim card from a phone with a data plan and insert it in your laptop to determine if it works?

Did you find any useful information? Everyone in the Lenovo forums can thank other members by clicking on the kudos star to the lower left.

Altoid666
Token Ring
Views: 1,342
Message 6 of 6

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-prepaid-plans-132352/

https://www.sierrawireless.com/sitecore/content/developer-zone/resources/airprime/minicard/74xx/airp...

Thanks to all who have contributed to my original question regarding setting up, installing, and activating a prepaid sim card for the EM 7455 built in Wireless Card on my P51.

Here's what I have found so far:

The first link above lists the "best" prepaid sim card plans in the us.  There are usually two charges; one to purchase the sim card itself and the other is the monthly charge that typically runs about $30.00/mo.  Additional usage and data limits can be added for about $10 per increment.  Also monthly plans are good for one month and then you need to pay for the next month usually on an automatic renewal plan with your credit card on file.  Usually no roll over for unused minutes/data.  Be aware that there are two basic configurations of the types of wireless carriers, CDMA and GSM.  The EM 7455 supports both.

The next issue is compatibility.  There is little information about sim compatibility with Lenovo's EM 7455 or any other laptop's built in modem.  I have found that buying a sim card online seems to be somewhat problematical as

I have read that best results occur when one takes their laptop directly into a carrier's store for activation.  That way any install/activation issues can be dealt with directly on the spot.  The most helpful to me was the T Mobil representative who thoroughly explained my options.  

The above Sierra Wireless Link lists the technical specifications for the built in EM 7455 wireless modem.  You will note the carriers supported listed in the specifications.  T Mobil works with the EM 7455 even though they are not specifically listed as an approved carrier in their technical specs.

After going through all of my machinations I have decided NOT to buy a sim card since my usage is primarily at home and I have High Speed Internet, a land line and my cell phone.  Therefore no need to spend any additional monthly dollars for my communication needs.  I wrongly thought that I could just buy a prepaid sim and have it available as a backup, just like a burner phone.; sitting there as an additional communication option.  N ow obviously not true.  In the end I did educate myself though.

So again thanks to all.  I hope my summary here will be of benefit to anyone looking to use the built in EM 7455 wireless modem and help make for better choices.

Altoid666

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors