Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JoeyT9
Paper Tape
Views: 711
Message 1 of 5

Help. Opinions needed. New thinkpad p1 arrived.

Hello,

So I got a new thinkpad p1 and just received it. When I went to turn it on for the first time right out of the box (did not plug it in to charge or anything) it did NOT turn on. I immediately called customer service and they said this is not normal and to try to plug in the charger. So I did that and it turned on, but when it came on the battery was at 43%. There is no way the battery charged to 43% in just a few minutes. I am considering a return and to get a new replacement as I am within the 30 day window, as I have lost confidence in the machine. I turned it off and on without the charger plugged in and it appears to be working now, but with a brand new and expensive machine that initial issue may be a sign of things to come. What do you think? Could this be normal? Or would you return?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 701
Message 2 of 5

Re: Help. Opinions needed. New thinkpad p1 arrived.

Hello and welcome,

I don't think I've ever tried turning on a new ThinkPad before plugging it in, so no idea if it's normal or not.  It would be useful to know if others have had a similar experience.

To ship with the battery half charged, and disabled via the BIOS switch (if a P1 has such) seems reasonable - although I can't say if  that's how it is done these days.  I can say that if the battery has been disabled, plugging in AC power re-enables it.  That's normal.

Sorry about the useless reply, but I'd like to know too.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 696
Message 3 of 5

It is absolutely normal and it must ship that way.  After assembly and test the internal battery is switched off the way you would do it via the BIOS before servicing..  The battery is logically disconnected until A/C is attached.  This is to guard against the machine being accidently switched on during transit or during a Customs inspection.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
dThirteen
Punch Card
Views: 551
Message 4 of 5

I can confirm that my P1 did not switch on straight out of the box, either. Plugged in the charger and it was all fine. I was scratching my head at how the battery would have been dead flat out of the box, but now I know.

Haven't had a minute of trouble since I first turned it on. Love this laptop. Smiley Happy
Matt.
ThinkPad P1: i7-8850H, P2000, FHD, 32GB, 512GB.
catperson
Punch Card
Views: 535
Message 5 of 5

I was scratching my head as well when I received mine and it would not turn on. After plugging in the charger for a few hours it started up and that was it. No issues since.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors