Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bazinger
SCSI Port
Views: 1,663
Message 1 of 13

Help! P70 "W" key popped off half way!

I just opened my P70 and when I hit the "W" key, it popped halfway off. It's still connected by the top two hinges, but the bottom is hanging free, which makes the key open like a car trunk. This machine is only 8 months old, so I'm a bit shocked.

Anyway, how to I reattach the bottom of the key? When I press the bottom down with moderate force I hear a slight click or snap, and the key settles back into place, but only until I hit it anywhere above dead center. Then it pops halfway off again.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,645
Message 2 of 13

Re: Help! P70 "W" key popped off half way!

The bad news is that it sounds like one of the small pins on the hinge that hold the key into place may be broken off, but the good news is that just that parts can be replaced for about 10 bucks.  

You could send the system in to be repaired under warranty and have the keyboard removed and replace,, but that can often take quite some time, and can sometimes opens a whole new can of worms, so you might consider just repairing it yourself, which is really fairly easy.    

http://www.laptopkey.com/Guides.php/Lenovo/Thinkpad/P70/L220

The site below is pretty good, and has some good videos on how to replace the keys, which might help you re-attach the one that is loose if not broken.    Laptop keyboards come in several styles, so the first thing you need to do is look at the link below to determine what type you have

https://www.laptopkey.com/KeyboardKeys.php/Lenovo/Thinkpad/P70

Or if you have any questions, contact them directly using the link below.

Laptop key Contact info.

http://www.laptopkey.com/contact_us.php

Best of luck,

Bazinger
SCSI Port
Views: 1,603
Message 3 of 13

I may just have to mail order a replacement key. I'm in Chile, and Lenovo's support is apparently non-existent. I wrote to over 60 of the local companies that Lenovo lists as service partners on their site, from ordinary to platinum level. About 20 bounced, of which 12 or 13 did so because their domain names have expired, meaning they probably don't exist anymore!  Of the remaining 40 or so, about 25 answered me. Some don't work with Lenovo, others don't do repairs at all, and none --not a single one-- said they could even special order a local or US keyboard for me.

Abysmal!

Clearly Lenovo has absolutely no quality control when it comes to service partners -- these local companies undoubtedly filled in a form at some point to be able to add the Lenovo logo to their page, and that's that, while Lenovo gets to claim they have a huge international service network, which is sheer fiction.

Utterly disappointed.

p600
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,596
Message 4 of 13

Sorry to hear that. In North America these matters are resolved easily with a phone call, and the new part arrives in a few days, even with most basic 'depot' warranty.

Still, https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht118678 lists only a few providers in Chile capable of dealing with Thinkpads, not 60.

If these are useless, I'd try to contact Lenovo global number, as Thinkpads are supposed to have International Warranty Service.  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/pd004172

Failing all that, ebay has plenty of P50 keyboards for about $50, and replacing these is 5 minutes work and 2-3 Philips screws.

Bazinger
SCSI Port
Views: 1,582
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for the tip about e-bay. Are P50 keyboards identical to P70 ones? I'd imagine they'd be smaller.

As to the "service providers", the Lenovo list I used didn't specify what products each one deals with. And considering I've never in my life seen a Lenovo smartphone (or anything else other than laptops), it's hard to imagine what all those companies (the ones that still exist, that is) service.

p600
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,575
Message 6 of 13

I'd imagine every man and his dog, capable of Copy/Paste, can put "Lenovo Authorized Service Provider" or whatever logo, on their one-man-shop website. But the list of service providers above, linked from International Warranty Service page, is probably more credible than others, and in Chile there seems to be about 3-5 of those (by eliminating entiries with the same phone number and/or email), that handle Thinkpads. I'd give it a try, if there are entries there you haven't contacted before.

P50 keyboard is the same as P70. Part number 00PA247  for the US version (from https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/p50_frubom_20160119.pdf ), there might be a few others as well.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,552
Message 7 of 13

I am sorry to hear that Lenovo warranty support in South America is so poor.    

You could replace the entire keyboard, but that seems rather extreme to fix just one key.    You might check the videos online at Laptopkey.com to make sure your existing key or hinge assembly is actually broken, and that you are simply not resetting the key properly.    If indeed part of the key or hinge is broken, it is very easy to repair using the replacement kit.  

Best of luck,

Bazinger
SCSI Port
Views: 1,503
Message 8 of 13

I finally managed to get in touch with Lenovo's warranty service. It's an 800 phone number, which sounds good in theory, but it turns out that in Chile phone companies charge 800 line owners extra to receive calls from mobile phones, and so line owners have the option to autoreject calls from mobiles. When this happens, you as a caller don't get any sort of warning message -- you just get some dissonant, fast beep that is like a cross between a strident busy signal and what you get with an invalid number.

Incredibly, Lenovo chose this penny-pinching option to autoreject calls from mobiles for their international customer service number! And this in a country with one of the world's highest mobile penetration rates, where public telephones are nearly non-existent, and pretty much nobody has a landline anymore.  So for about four days I thought the number was either always busy or simply invalid, since I was calling from my mobile. Finally, someone told me about this particularity of 800 numbers here, and I tried calling from a land line... and got through.

(At this point, if anyone from Lenovo happens to read this, the standard solution to this issue in Chile for cheapskates is to offer an ordinary, non-800 number for mobile users to call. It's not free to them, but they can actually make the call, which is... priceless. And it costs the company nothing. An even better solution for a massive trans-national corporation that pulls in millions or billions each year is to not block mobiles, of course.)

Anyway, the Lenovo call center guy noted down my case details and gave me the phone number of the local service provider to call to get an actual solution. This time, they actually did give me an honest-to-god non-existent number! So following another lost day, I showed it to a local, and they immediately told me what the problem was -- all Chilean landlines gained an additional digit -- in 2014!! And the number Lenovo gave me didn't have it. So no one at Lenovo has even tried calling their service center in three years. Seriously?

So I ended up googling the company and after about three calls, I finally got the right people.

They say they've ordered me a new keyboard, and will install it as soon as it arrives, apparently at no cost to me.

Here's hoping Lenovo didn't send it by pony express!

Moderator note: post recovered from automated spam filters.

Bazinger
SCSI Port
Views: 1,500
Message 9 of 13

[As the post above was undeleted by the mod that deleted it, I'm removing my summary of it]

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,489
Message 10 of 13

@Bazinger wrote:

[As the post above was undeleted by the mod that deleted it, I'm removing my summary of it]

For the record, your assumption is incorrect - and offensive.  Your previous post was captured by the automated spam filters. I noticed your complaint, searched the filters, and restored your post.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors