cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamesG2000
Paper Tape
Views: 389
Message 1 of 4

Help adding WWAN module and antenna to P52 (Not WWAN Ready)

Hi all,

I need some assistance in adding LTE/WWAN options to a P52 laptop that wasn't ordered as 'WWAN Ready'

The laptop has a SIM Card slot but no M.2 WWAN Module or WWAN Antennas connected to it.

I have been back and forth with Lenovo many times and they say it's not possible to upgrade this unit as it wasn't purchased originally as WWAN Ready.. which I think means the laptop would be installed with an M.2 WWAN Module and the WWAN antenna

I am able to find the M.2 WWAN Module which is compatible however not finding any WWAN antenna. Lenovo said they don't stock them for this Laptop. 

Lenovo ThinkPad Fibocom L850-GL CAT9 WWAN - wireless cellular modem - 4G LT - PART # 4XC0R38452

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 346
Message 2 of 4

Re: Help adding WWAN module and antenna to P52 (Not WWAN Ready)

Lenovo persons were right - wwan antennas for P52 laptop aren't sold separately but as a set with wlan antennas. So, there isn't Lenovo p/n for the wwan antennas kit only. In contrast, wlan antennas could be bought separately.

"WWAN ready" or "wwan upgradeable" mean the sim-card reader and wwan antennas kit are factory installed in the laptop.

Lenovo branded L850-GL like the one you mention is applicable to P52. But installing the wwan antennas into the LCD lid isn't easy task. Note, the upgrade you plan to perform is your deal and risk since both antennas and wwan modem are the parts for servicing by Lenovo technicians onlly, might cause the warranty violation in case of something damage.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

JamesG2000
Paper Tape
Views: 301
Message 3 of 4

I don't think this laptop was WWAN Ready or wwan upgradable however it did have a SIM Card slot under the battery. When I opened up the laptop there was no sign of any of the WWAN Antennas.

Do you know which WWAN antennas are compatible with the L850-GL?

The L850-GL module should be an easy install directly into the M.2 slot however the antennas will be a different story..

I am not finding any antennas anywhere
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 260
Message 4 of 4

WLAN+WWAN Antennas kit for P52 - Lenovo service p/n (FRU) 01HY777 or 01HY776, they differ just by the manufacturer.

To make sure whether the laptop is not WWAN ready provide, please, the laptop MTM code. I'll try to check out. If it's a CTO model the laptop s/n is needed instead of MTM. Don't share the s/n here, send it me via Forum Private Messages service.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors