cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Magnitus
Paper Tape
Views: 1,071
Message 1 of 3

How Do I Reset My Laptop To Factory State From DVD?

Hi, I recently purchased a Levono Thinkpad W530 and creating/testing a recovery media is giving me a world of pain.

I really wish they had just sent me a recovery DVD(s) with the laptop like Fujitsu did when I purchased my laptop from them years ago.

Anyways, I saw that there was no recovery medium with the laptop, but then when I booted, I spotted the "restore" partition and found out by clicking on it that it would create a recovery media.

Brilliant I thought... that means that I can create 2-3 recovery media in case the first one breaks... yeah, that was a bit naive.

So, anyhow, I did my first (and as I later discovered, only) factory restore backup using some cheap writable DVDs (hey, they must have written that you were only allowed to make one somewhere in the fine prints) and now, I'm not sure that worked out.

I mean, it tried writing out to 4 DVDs and 1 of them turned out not to be bogus (I have DVD0, DVD1 and DVD2, not sure if there was supposed to be a DVD3 or a startup DVD... I searched, but did not find the answer).

I explored most of the BIOS menu and did not find a way to restore the system to factory state from the DVDs (I tried all 3, I'm hoping I'm not missing 1).

I managed to do a factory recovery, but only by using the recovery partion on the hard disk (it did not use any of the DVDs).

Could someone let me know how you recover to factory state from a recovery DVD so that I can determine if my recovery DVDs work?

And assuming that the recovery DVDs that I made don't work, does this mean I'm stuck without a recovery medium (meaning if the hard disk gets corrupted in any way, here goes Windows 7 professional)?

Is there any way I can get Levono to send me a recovery disk or reset my recovery partition so that I can try again to make a recovery backup on a sturdier medium?

And if it's the second option, does it mean I have to ship my laptop back to China, pay for shipping and wait for a month to get it back Smiley Sad?

Needless to say, I'm feeling quite frustrated right now.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,055
Message 2 of 3

Re: How Do I Reset My Laptop To Factory State From DVD?

Good day and welcome to the community.

With new machines, I have had great luck calling Service and requesting a factory recovery set. So far, I think because I've called in the first week or 2 of getting the machine, I've not had to pay for the set. Others report that they've been charged a fee, though, so YMMV. To be clear, I also make my allotted one copy of the recovery set from the on-disk mechanism.

In case you don't have it, here is the Service contact info:

Country or RegionProductLanguageTelephone numberHours of operation
Canada THINK-branded products English, French 1-800-565-3344 24 hours/day
7 days/week

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Kaso
802.11n
Views: 923
Message 3 of 3

Re: How Do I Reset My Laptop To Factory State From DVD?

>> Could someone let me know how you recover to factory state from a recovery DVD so that I can determine if my recovery DVDs work?

The first disc (either CD or DVD) is the boot disc. Insert that disc into the optical drive and power on the system to boot from that disc. You will be eventually asked to insert the other discs (DVD) in the right order.

I hope you label the factory recovery discs properly.

By the way, if you restore from the recovery partition to factory state, you can make another set of recovery discs.

Bonne chance!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors