How do I change the USB 3.0 mode in BIOS on W540 and W541 ThinkPads?
On Haswell and Broadwell series laptops, enabling USB 3.0 mode is optional. The default setting for USB 3.0 mode is "Auto". In some cases, the performance of USB 3.0 mode may be more consistent when the setting is set to "Enabled."
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to change the USB 3.0 mode setting from "Auto" to "Enabled".
1. Boot into BIOS by either powering on or restarting the device and tapping the "F1" key repeatedly.
2. Tab once to select the "Config" tab.
3. Arrow down to "USB". Tap the enter key to select "USB".
4. Arrow down to "USB 3.0 Mode". Tap enter to select the options.
5. Setting choices for USB 3.0 mode will appear in a pop-up window. Arrow up to "Enabled." Tap the enter key.
6. The setting for USB 3.0 mode has now been changed to "Enabled."
7. Tap the "F10" key to save changes, close BIOS, and boot up the laptop.