Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Transpower
Serial Port
Views: 903
Message 1 of 10

How to Overclock P72

I just received my brand new Thinkpad P72.  I ran PCMOVER and transferred files and settings from my desktop, including CPU-ID.  This utility shows that I'm running at a mere 2.9 GHz; obviously I purchased the P72 to run at 4.8 GHz.  I looked into the BIOS but found no "advanced" or "overclocking" settings.  I also downloaded Intel's overclocking utility--but that wouldn't install.  Help!

pjg
802.11n
Views: 856
Message 2 of 10

Re: How to Overclock P72

Transpower
Serial Port
Views: 847
Message 3 of 10

I already tried that; it won't install!

Transpower
Serial Port
Views: 833
Message 4 of 10

By the way, I have the Xeon 2186M CPU.  The BIOS looks rather primitive; I'm wondering if the CPU clocking is somewhere else.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 827
Message 5 of 10

The Xeon 2186M CPU has a locked multiplier.  This is a peer-to-peer forum, but it is a Lenovo-sponsored board.  Overclocking would certainly affect any warranty and would change cooling requirements.  I would not expect any BIOS support or help in this area.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Transpower
Serial Port
Views: 821
Message 6 of 10

I bought the P72 Xeon specifically to get the 4.8 GHz CPU.  2.90 GHz is worthless.  There has to be a way to do this!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 796
Message 7 of 10

Then you know more about it than I do.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Transpower
Serial Port
Views: 772
Message 8 of 10

OK, thanks.  I did some more research on this issue, and it does appear that Turbo Boost works automatically.  However, Intel does not have a monitor so that users can see what's happening.  I'm still researching this issue.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 764
Message 9 of 10

You didn't ask about Turbo Boost.  You asked about overclocking, which is manipulating the core frequency or multiplier to run the processor faster than tested speed.  As I said, I believe your processor is locked.  Overclocked processors tend to use more power and generate more heat, which are not good in most laptops.  Turbo boost is an automatic process to run high-demand threads at higher than the published speed in cases where all threads are not equally loaded.  There is an old (2008) Intel white paper that has a good description of the theory.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/INTC/0x0x348508/C9259E98-BE06-42C8-A433-E28F64CB8EF2/TurboBoo...

Rich

Transpower
Serial Port
Views: 746
Message 10 of 10

I just downloaded the latest version of CPU-Z; unlike my previous version, this one does show the Xeon speed dynamically, not just the base clock.  So I feel much better now!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors