cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peter8899
Paper Tape
Views: 1,725
Message 1 of 7

How to connect 2 Monitors with Thinkpad W530 ?

Hi,

I am using:

1 Thinkpad W530 type 2447 with Quadro K1000m + Intel HD Graphics 4000 + Windows 7

2 Dell monitors both model U2414H

1 DP to Mini Displayport

1 DP to VGA cable

The problem is: I can not connect my second dell monitor with my pc using VGA. 

I have already tried a different cable with VGA and it did not work either. 

Using the DP to mini displayport cable works with both monitors, but I only have one mini displayport outlet on my pc. 

I also checked some other posts but I have not found a solution for this problem. 

Do you have a clue?

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,706
Message 2 of 7

Re: Connect 2 Monitors with Thinkpad W530

Are you trying to connect your second external monitor using a cable with VGA at one end and DP at the other end, with the VGA end connected to the VGA connector on the W530?  NOT POSSSIBLE.  You are actually using that cable in the opposite way for which it was designed, which is to go FROM A DP CONNECTOR ON THE COMPUTER TO A VGA CONNECTOR ON THE MONITOR.

DisplayPort target monitor connectors are only usable with a DP source connector on the PC.  DP source is very flexible, being able to support a DP, HDMI, DVI or VGA connector on the monitor.  That's why you find all four 2-ended cable types for sale.  But you have to use the DP end on the PC in order to support DP, HDMI, DVI or VGA target connector on the monitor.

But a DP target on the monitor can ONLY be handled by a DP source on the PC.  You can't connect it to the VGA connector on the W530.

Sorry... you can't use two external monitors both of which are connected through DP.  Only one on the W530.  You'll have to use a monitor supporting a VGA connection if you must use a second external monitor.

Newer laptops (e.g. P5x/P7x) have DP and HDMI, which would provide additional flexibility for connecting two external monitors with a digital connection (i.e. not analog VGA).

Peter8899
Paper Tape
Views: 1,690
Message 3 of 7

Thank you very much for replying to my post.

Well, my Dell monitor also offers hdmi.
In this case is it possible to connect another cable with VGA end connected to the VGA connector on the W530 and the HDMI connector connected to HDMi on the external monitor?

Or would you recommend to buy a mini displayport splitter which splits the mini displayport socket on the W530 to two mini displayports?

P.S. I want to extend both external monitors and I do not want to duplicate them.

p600
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,670
Message 4 of 7

If you get a normal VGA-VGA cable, the rest should be easy unless something is defective (either monitor or cable or laptop): it's a supported configuration ( https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/migr-76617 ).

Alternatively, your displays have DisplayPort MST hub built in, so it may be possible to daizy-chain these (refer to monitor documentation how to enable),  and avoid external splitters. This is a bit finicky, but worth a try. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,660
Message 5 of 7

Your U2414H monitors don't have VGA connectors.  Only 2xHDMI and DP and miniDP.  So you can't use the VGA connector on the W530.

But as was pointed out, the U2414H does have support for DP MST (daisy chaining of multiple monitors through DP cabling), when you enable the DP 1.2 feature through "Display Settings" on the monitor.  However this also depends on the K1000m graphics card and nVidia driver supporting DP 1.2 as well as this MST functionality.  I'm not sure this is all present (although I think the K1000m could be DP 1.2) , but it certainly would only take another cable (say a second miniDP -> DP) to go from your first external monitor (already connected miniDP->DP to your first external monitor) to your second monitor in order to try it out and see if it works. Cheap enough to give it a shot.

Remember that the K1000m only has 2GB of DDR3 memory, so supporting two external 24" displays (plus optionally the laptop screen) as a very large extended desktop may not perform quite as well as you might hope.  So have reasonable expectations.

Of course there are other definitely supported multi-monitor all-DP configurations supported by the W530, but going through and external dock.  So that might be needed if the MST daisy-chain experiment doesn't work.  You can look at this Lenovo support page which shows all of the multi-display configurations available through docks.  The page seems to include Optimus (using the built-in Intel HD Graphics for the laptop screen and the nVidia GPU for all external monitors supported through the minDP connector on the laptop as well as via the dock), but I wonder if you could just change the BIOS of the W530 to specify "discrete graphics" in order to also get the nVidia GPU to support the laptop screen as well as all externally connected monitors, which is what "discrete graphics" really means.

I'd try the daisy chain method first, since all it takes is another miniDP->DP cable to experiment and see if this is successful.

The dock method is guaranteed to work, but it's a more expensive solution (though it might be perfectly acceptable).

Peter8899
Paper Tape
Views: 1,634
Message 6 of 7

Daisy-chain works very well!!!

I also found a video, which shows how to connect the same dell monitors, I am using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leNkQoJpz9M

p600 + DSperber thank you so much!
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,621
Message 7 of 7

Excellent!

I still recommend that if you aren't already configured to use "discrete graphics" that you make that tweak in the BIOS.

Config -> Display -> Graphics device -> DISCRETE GRAPHICS (instead of the default NVIDIA OPTIMUS)

The nVidia GPU is ALWAYS in use 100% (with NO involvement of the built-in Intel HD graphics) for any externally connected monitors, such as your now two Dell U2414H screens.  But the W530 laptop screen is normally controlled by the built-in Intel HD graphics when the BIOS is set to NVIDIA OPTIMUS. As determined by firmware the nVidia GPU will kick in to provide additional graphics horsepower for the laptop screen should the performance need arise when running programs.  And optionally through nVidia Control Panel 3D settings you can theoretically manually pick specific programs to force nVidia GPU to be used on the laptop screen.

The theory behind Optimus on the laptop screen is simply to use less power when running on battery, since the built-in Intel grpahics uses less power than the K1000m. The cost of this is less graphics horsepower (which normally isn't critical) than the K1000m would provide. 

But if you're plugged into wall power anyway (as you obviously are in your dual-U2414H setup) and never running on battery, why not get that absolute maximum graphics capability for your laptop screen as well, and not just your external monitors.  This is what will result when you switch from OPTIMUS to DISCRETE GRAPHICS in the BIOS, namely that the Intel graphics will be "disappeared from the machine" and it will be like you only had the nVidia K1000m. So the K1000m will be used exclusively for ALL grpahics needs, i.e. on not only the external monitors but also on the lapotp screen.

You paid for the K1000m... why not benefit from it on the laptop screen as well, when the W530 is plugged into wall power and battery usage or lifetime before needing a recharge is of zero concern?

That's my feeling.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors