Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hebla
Paper Tape
Views: 7,813
Message 1 of 9

How to upgrade W520 to windows 10?

Hi

I have been trying to update my windows 7 64 bit machine to windows 10 for about a week and a half. By that I mean for hours and hours every day. 

I first tried it through the "Get windows 10 now" symbol on the update tray. It stopped for a full day at 32% total, 6% features and drivers, and never rebooted, so I did that manually, it restored, and I got no error message. I tried this again a couple of times, after checking that drivers and windows update was all updated(through windows update and Lenovo system update), but same result every time. 

I then started trying to fix this based on different solution on the forums here: 

- Disable/uninstall antivirus program

- Performed a clean boot

- Disable LAN (Local Area Network), Bluetooth, Wi-Fi

- Disconnected my external hard drive and all USB devices

- Unninstalled (and later reinstalled...) .NET Framework 4.5.2

- Updated windows update

- Reset windows update with fixIt and manuall(that's a long list of dll files to input manually...) (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058).

- Edited entries in regedit according to many forum entries

- Used the windows update readiness tool and debugged the errors found there: (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821)- Used the windows update troubleshooter(is this the same as update readiness tool?) - No errors showing here now, in clean boot mode)

- Downloaded media creation tool and tried burning a DVD with windows 10 and install from there

- Only keep settings and files, not apps while updating

- Clean install, not keeping anything(here it stops at 40%, 25% drivers and features)

- Tried telling it not to download updates when installing

- I once got it to install!!! But it lacked all drivers etc when starting windows 10. I ran windows update, but after that the computer couldn't restart, and I could not roll it back, so restored the system using a recovery disc. Have now spent 2-3 days getting every update and everything fixed again, but it's still stopping.

It just seems impossible for me to get this working. I am the CEO of a IT consultancy firm, I have updated several other computers, I have a masters degree in computer science and engineering. this should be that hard, but it's kinda become a thing I just have to be able to fix...

I did read somewhere that there was a new update tool for windows 8.1 fixing the 32/6 % issue. Is this the case? Will this come for 7 as well? Why can't I do a clean install of windows 10? I have also run diagnostic tools on the computer, and it's nothing wrong with it or it's components. Is it a way for me to get a tech person to remotely log on to this computer and fix it? 

Guru
Views: 7,781
Message 2 of 9

Re: How to upgrade W520 to windows 10?

First, let me say that I feel your pain. I too have been trying to fully install Windows 10 on my W520 with partial success. One of my systems has had minimal program upgrades since its original install and the Windows 10 upgrade went smoothly. I did not have to remove anything for the upgrade, but I did install the latest Lenovo drivers for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

My other system is totally another story. I've had this machine since June 2011 and still have the original OS load on it. I can run the upgrade and have it install the latest drivers, but the final result is that I wind up with no internet access from any network adapter. I've tried the direct download, created an .ISO and installed from there, but the result is always the same. Now for something more interesting: I created a new HDD from the original factory recovery  discs, ran all the updates for Windows 7SP1, Office 2010, etc and then installed Windows 10 on top of that. Viola!! The installation completed and I now had internet access on all the adapters. I've no idea what is different, but all of the hardware is the same, just a different OS starting point.

I'm staying on Windows 7SP1 for now as I don't see much advantage in the W520 for the upgrade (except for the eye-candy). A couple of my devices no longer will work with Windows 10 because of outdated drivers (my HP Laserjet 6MP for one), and I am already using IE11. Microsoft will continue to support Windows 7 SP1 Pro until 2020, so what's the rush. Still, it is puzzling why one system upgrades w/o a hitch and the other is driving me nuts.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.29, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.21,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
mjmn
Paper Tape
Views: 7,671
Message 3 of 9

I upgraded my W520 on Aug 26. It went smoothly. I just ran the upgrade, upgrading from windows 7 to Windows 10. Everthing is working properly, for last three days. I have a docking station, and I have two external monitors that are working with no issue, but only when Extending. The only issue is if I want to clone my Laptop monitor to an external monitor, with this not working, but I can clone on two external monitors. This has more to do with the Nvidia 1000m or 2000m Optimus mode. On windows 7, I had to use the Nvidia Control Panel to clone the Laptop Monitor and an external monitor. Nvidia does have an updated adapter for Windows 10, for the 1000m and 2000m. On their web site though, it stated that they do not support cloning across display adapters and windows 10 is supposed to handle this:

• Clone mode across graphics processors is handled by the Windows 10 OS and not by the NVIDIA driver. Consequently, there are no controls for cross-adapter clone mode in the NVIDIA Control Panel under Windows 10.

This is true. If  I go into the bios and change the Display Mode from NVIDIA Optimus to Discrete Graphics, and boot into Windows 10, I can clone my laptop display and an external monoitor. But after a few minutes, windows 10 just freezes, no blue screen or warning and have to do a manual power down of the laptop. Then I went back into the Bios settings and changed back to display to NVIDIA Optimus and everthing works great, except of course if I want to clone my laptop monitor to an external. Maybe Micorosoft will fix this in windows 10. 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 7,606
Message 4 of 9

Moderator comment: A non-contributive and personally-directed derogatory post has been removed. Community Rules.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 7,598
Message 5 of 9
Moved:

>>> Two posts moved to, and responded to in, Forum Housekeeping

Hebla
Paper Tape
Views: 7,572
Message 6 of 9

I'm not sure what this discussion might gain the others on this forum, but I'll give it an answer anyways. 

I started the company back in 2013, and since, I have had 3 non billable days total, being the first 3 days when I started, so that is not the reason why I have been spending time on this. I got early born twins this Juli, meaning I have been at home until today(breakfast before my first day back writing this...), and doing this on my personal computer in the short breaks between feeding and cleaning the kids. At the same time I have also onboarded a new employee, landed a one year contract with scandinavias biggest bank and lined up 8 new sales meetings to get my new employee started up as fast as possible. 

I do understand that it would seems weird for me to spend so much time on this upgrade, and I would never have done so if I was working as normal. Hope this answers you questions/conserns.

maglarp
What's DOS?
Views: 6,557
Message 7 of 9

I have struggled many weeks with te upgrade. My problem was that the first partition, SYSTEM_DRV was lacking space.

I solved it by getting a new 1 000 GB disk instead of the original 500 GB, made a 1 GB partition on the new disk, cloned the SYSTEM_DRV to the new disk and extended the partion up to the full 1 GB. Then I cloned the C:-disk partion to the new disk. I let the Recovery partion alone. Then I copied the two new partions to a third SSD disk that now hold 2 partions. Then I booted this up (Windows 7) and went for the update that worked ok (but not Thinnkpad Bluetooth and Parallells Desktop that I now have to work with)

Hope this can help someone.

Regards Bo Ganslandt

Exbuster
What's DOS?
Views: 1,963
Message 8 of 9

I upgraded 2 W520 laptops to Win10Pro 64-bit.  The the actual upgrade was successful and painless.  Lenovo does not appear to have updated W10 drivers for this model on their support site.  However, the drivers installed by W10 as of Fall 2016 were sufficient to run the computer seamlessly.  Later, I personally tweaked the control panel power plan.  I did have to go to the HP website to download the latest printer drivers/install app.  General steps upgrade steps were as follows: 1) I verified I met all hardward and software requirements 2) Before the upgraded I installed all Win7 patches from Lenovo and Microsoft 3) I purchased an upgrade license  4) I downloaded the W10 upgrade tool from Microsoft and from inside Win 7 initated an upgrade.  Once upgraded I used my upgrade license key to enable Win 10 inside the OS.  5) Although not required, as per recommended best practices on the web, I then used the upgrade tool again but this time did a clean WIndows 10 install instead of an upgrade.  This requires booting from a USB instead of Win 7. You may need to tweak your BIOS Startup Order to prioritize the USB. (This may seem like double the effort) but a clean install ensures that you overcome any inefficiencies from the upgrade process.  Microsoft servers automatically recognized my machine as a licensed machine afterwards from the previous upgrade process  6) Ran Lenovo Companion from the Windows App Store including updates and diagnostics (optional) 7) I did notice that the fan was working a bit more than usual in the beginning but did stabilize after a while.  I downloaded Core Temp 1.10.2 which is a simple software that reports CPU temperature noting that temps should be ideally 20 degress less than the TJmax (recommeded manufacturer).  To achieve this I had to manually edit the power plan in the control panel under "processor power management" / Maximum processor state and lower the plugged in max to 80% although I could probably go to 95%and still be ok.  Since my work is not CPU intensive and I have an SSD, 80% was sufficient for me to not notice a difference in my user experience.  8)  On another machine I was required to lower the CPU to 90% or the CPU would overheat and shutdown the laptop during extended used at 100% utilization as noted in the Task Manager.  This machine also had a GPU card which the other did not. They both work fine now.   9) Under Win7, the Intel power management driver gave the user the ability to change processor power pretty conveniently on the desktop tray, but it was my impression that in Win10 you have to dig a few more levels in the generic contol panel to get there.  10) In my case, I believe the core temp issues I was having relates to the amount of dust in the laptop. In my first case, I openned up the laptop and removed the keyboard easily using Lenovo manuals for users.  This makes the CPU fan visible as well as the top of the motherboard.  Cleaning out a heapload of dust, especially in the fan area, with a can of compressed air helped the heat situation.  I would definitely do this again.  It also forced me to give my W520 some much needed cleaning and maintnance.  They are functioning bettern than ever probably with extended life spans now.

mjmn
Paper Tape
Views: 1,949
Message 9 of 9

I would go the extra mile and replace the Thermal paste on the CPU and GPU, these laptops are getting long in the tooth. The original thermal paste was basically dried out on mine. I followed this video, to replace thermal paste, used Arctic Silver worked great. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPGvKNuapzY

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors