cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 11,567

Question

I have a ThinkPad W500 laptop, and in the specs, it says that it has 512 MB ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 graphics card that is switchable to Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 MHD. I want to switch to the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator but I can't seem to figure out how to do it- I was told it was easy, but I'm not having much luck. 

Answer

Note: The switchable feature only works under Windows Vista and Windows 7.

1) Ensure the graphics are configured to switchable in BIOS.

2) To switch graphics adapters within Windows, left-click on the ThinkVantage Power Manager battery icon in the system notification area. At the bottom of the pop-up menu there will be a Switchable Graphics sub-menu.

switchable graphics.gif

Note: Changing ThinkVantage Power Manager from Basic mode (default) to Advanced mode will cause the menu to look different. The menu will no longer be transparent and the slider is replaced with a list of schemes. The Switchable Graphics sub-menu is still at the bottom."

See the support page:- http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT002512 for more details.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
3d1l

Laptop is W500 4061 2HU running Windows 7

Latest drivers are installed

BIOS is properly setup to switchable graphics

I can not see the switchable option or any reference to the Intel card in the power manager app.

What can I do?