Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

09-07-2011

New York, NY

2 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 1 of 5

HueyPro color calibration too green on W700ds

2011-09-07, 2:15 AM

Hi! I have had a W700ds for 2 years now and HueyPro color calibration always worked like a dream. When I did the usual two-weekly calibration a few days ago, the result was way too green. I tried it again, installed the latest version of HueyPro, reset HueyPro, etc., but the same greenish color remains. Is it that my color sensor has given up the ghost? Anyone had the same problem and what was the solution? Thanks in advance.

Options

325 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Views: 7524
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: HueyPro color calibration too green on W700ds

2011-09-09, 21:28 PM

Roemrijkewolf, the sensor may have gone bad, which happens in some cases. On my W700, the screen has a visibly greenish cast if I switch off the calibrated results within the huey PRO software. Call tech support.

I recommend that you read this before having your ThinkPad serviced. If you're familiar with doing electronic repairs yourself and want Lenovo to just send you the part, it's a fairly straightforward repair, and the procedure is in the W700ds "Hardware Maintenance Manual." They'll probably send you a new palmrest.

Also, by now, many of the little air intake slots (each about 5mm, or just under 1/4" long) on the underside of your laptop are probably clogged with dust. You can see this with a flashlight and magnifying glass, particularly if you look at the patch of slots in the rear corners of the underside of the machine (that's where the two fans are). I recommend that you turn the laptop off, disconnect it from everything, close the lid, flip it over onto a cushioned surface, attach a crevice tool to your vacuum cleaner, and use that to suck the dust OUT OF ONLY those little vent slots on the bottom surface of the laptop. That helps keep the laptop's cooling system running at maximum efficiency. NEVER use compressed air to blow the dust INTO the laptop, because you don't want all that dust on the inside where it can cause problems.

Good luck!

Options

23 Posts

08-26-2011

Milan

133 Signins

451 Page Views

• Views: 451
  • Message 3 of 5

2011-09-09, 22:24 PM

I had the same issue using a Lenovo ThinkPad W520.

Here is the related thread:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-FHD-LED-TFT-95-Gamut-Display-and-Color-Sensor-with-Pantone/td-p/519097

I just stopped using the calibration unit.

It would be nice, if you will let us know your progress. Good luck!

Options

325 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Views: 7524
  • Message 4 of 5

2011-09-09, 23:48 PM

125, you have a DIFFERENT problem. The color calibrator that Lenovo ships with their laptops works fine with the W700/W700ds machines, whose displays are FLUORESCENT-BACKLIT.

But it apparently DOES NOT work fine with displays that are RGB-LED BACKLIT, such as the wide-gamut displays that ship(ped) with the W510/W520/W701.

So, were talking about the same calibrator, but we're talking about TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT TECHNOLOGIES for the displays. It's extremely important to make that distinction. 

As Roemrijkewolf said, he has a W700ds, which shipped with a fluorescent-backlit display, and the calibrator "worked like a dream" for him for two years, before he recently had a problem. I have a W700, again with a fluorescent-backlit display, identical to that of  Roemrijkewolf's machine, and the calibrator "works like a dream" for my machine too. There's no oversaturation, there are no color casts, when I print images (I have graduate degrees in engineering in image processing) on my beautiful Canon printer, I get a virtually identical beautiful picture to what I see on the screen.

YOU MUST KEEP IN MIND THE DISTINCTION BETWEEN THE FAMILIES OF MACHINES WE'RE TALKING ABOUT, AND THE DIFFERENCE IN TECHNOLOGIES USED FOR THEIR DISPLAYS!  The color calibrator does not perform the same on those entirely different displays of those different families of machines! I've seen a number of people pop up and say that the calibrator works poorly on all models of ThinkPads, and that's simply incorrect.

But I sympathize with your plight, 125, and you've done a commendable job in working around the W520's problem. If you'd like Lenovo to provide default profiles for that display, using a high-end calibrator, you might want to pipe up in the "reliability" thread that's going on right now, since Lenovo seems to have been paying attention to that thread.

Options

23 Posts

08-26-2011

Milan

133 Signins

451 Page Views

• Views: 451
  • Message 5 of 5

2011-09-10, 12:33 PM

Yes, you're definitely right, Jimbo. Thanks for your valuable input! The hardware environments are different, but the outcome is the same--a greenish display. That could point to a common cause. Let's say, a corrupted update version of the calibration software, for example.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms