Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pantheist
Punch Card
Views: 889
Message 1 of 13

I NEED HELP FROM SUPPORT!

I recently bought a p50s from the outlet, and to begin with it had lesser specs than advertised (sata ssd instead of m.2, ddr3 ram instead of ddr4- see this thread for details: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Laptop-ordered-from-outlet-has-lesser-parts-tha... )

Now, it has been freezing regularly whenever it's moved when on- it gets a few squares with multi-colored pixels and gives no error message. I just have to force it to turn off by holding the power button or it will sit like that until the battery dies. Lenovo email support has been "down for maintenence" for weeks and chat says they aren't able to help me. Please stand behind your product.

JensDavid
SCSI Port
Views: 853
Message 2 of 13

Re: I NEED HELP FROM SUPPORT!

Hi.

The lenovo online store does not display if the selected SSD is in m.2 or 2,5''-formfactor. You might have a receipt or specification of the laptop you bought showing the SSD you paid for. The ThinkPad P50s is equipped with DDR3L-ram because the low-voltage Intel CPU is not compatible with the faster DDR4-ram.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool%5CSys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20P50s/ThinkPad_P50s_Platform_Specificat...

Pantheist
Punch Card
Views: 837
Message 3 of 13

The ram does have some weird specs since i don't think ddr4 comes clocked at 1600mhz, but that's less important to me since there would be little practical benefit. The m.2 is a big difference because it would mean I would have had an open 2.5" drive bay in addition to a significant transfer speed gain. Specs from receipt are attached.

The randomly turning off is also an issue.

edit: I've also tried calling support twice. First time I was hung up on by the system after waiting on hold for awhile, the second time I was forwarded directly to a survey asking how customer service did.

Pantheist
Punch Card
Views: 785
Message 4 of 13

I've figured out it freezes when there's pressure on the bottom right side (closest to me on my right). What would that be?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 751
Message 5 of 13

I think it would really be in your best interest to physically call support and get an official ticket opened on your issue.  If you're truly seeing the symptom show up when applying pressure to a specific part of the chassis, that's not a good thing.  And I'm not sure there's much that can be done within this forum to help with that.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 714
Message 6 of 13

the receipt clearly says M2, DDR4 so if I were you, I would demand a refund.

personally I dont think the P50s comes with DDR4 nor M2 so I think it is a typo from their side, but that is inmaterial, as you were promised what the receiept says.

Pantheist
Punch Card
Views: 696
Message 7 of 13

@psuturtle wrote:

I think it would really be in your best interest to physically call support and get an official ticket opened on your issue.  If you're truly seeing the symptom show up when applying pressure to a specific part of the chassis, that's not a good thing.  And I'm not sure there's much that can be done within this forum to help with that.

Like I mentioned earlier, I already called twice and didn't even get to speak to a human. I don't have time to keep calling and waiting on hold without getting anywhere. I'm also concerned about how lenovo will handle this since I need the computer for both work and school and don't have a backup. Why is there no way to open a ticket online?

Pantheist
Punch Card
Views: 691
Message 8 of 13

@jdrodrig wrote:

the receipt clearly says M2, DDR4 so if I were you, I would demand a refund.

personally I dont think the P50s comes with DDR4 nor M2 so I think it is a typo from their side, but that is inmaterial, as you were promised what the receiept says.

I've considered that, but I do like the computer (besides the predictable crashing with pressure on the base) and it suits my purposes well. I'm just annoyed that I got less than I paid for, and usually companies would rather give freebies than a refund anyway so I'm hoping for a little upgrade for it to even things out. So far it seems like they'd rather ignore the fact they shipped less than I ordered than to do anything though.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 657
Message 9 of 13

There's really little that we can do here other than regurgitate the correct specs to you for P50s.  

The file you posted (this is a receipt?) looks strange in the way it calls out both the memory and storage:

- PC3-12800 DDR4 is contradictive....the "PC3" indicates DDR3, not DDR4.  I would assume this is some sort of typo

- The storage calls out "512GB Solid State M.2" and doesn't specifically indicate SATA or PCIe.  Not sure why this wouldn't be listed more specifically, but to simply assume it means PCIe because it says M.2 is not correct either.  M.2 form factor supports both types.

I'm not trying to make excuses for how the situation came about, but simply trying to explain that there is not much that can be done from a forum perspective.  You need to call in to support (or possibly sales) to discuss the spec concerns.  And you'll definitely need to call in to support to address the freeze issue.  This will be the fastest way of getting your issues addressed.  

The only way I know of possibly creating a support ticket online is to go to the support homepage (support.lenovo.com) and then click the contact us link in the blue bar at the top.  From there you should see an option to submit a service request.  If that's not working, calling support directly is the next best option.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Pantheist
Punch Card
Views: 644
Message 10 of 13

Yes, that's a receipt. The DDR4 is odd like I mentioned earlier, and I'm not as bothered about that. As far as I can tell there are no Lenovo laptops with a SATA M2 drive- they're all 2.5" SATA drives or a M2 PCIe drives. Regardless, it shipped with a 2.5" drive.
ssd.JPG

Thank you for the info on the support site- it's different than the one I was linked to before.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors