cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrmelp
Punch Card
Views: 543
Message 11 of 13

Re: I was just told by a Lenovo CS rep that the W520 doesn't support 6Gbps for "data integrity&

I put it in one bay and I get 500-600MB/s seq read speeds, I put it in the other and I get 250-300MB/s seq read speeds. This is using several different benchmark tools and various versions of the RST driver, all on Win7 Pro x64.

kimocal
Punch Card
Views: 428
Message 12 of 13

Re: I was just told by a Lenovo CS rep that the W520 doesn't support 6Gbps for "data integrity&

I just got my Ultrabay adapter and the results mimic your's. 

Primary Bay Results

Ultrabay Results

It's a 64 GB c300 with 007 firmware.

Did you happen to get a better response from them yet?

teksimple
Paper Tape
Views: 152
Message 13 of 13

Confirmed the exact same thing with a PNY Prevail Elite 480GB SSD, in my 4270 CTO W520.  Intel Storage Manager reports SATA transfer rate of 3Gb/s in the primary drive bay, and rate of 6Gb/s in the Ultrabay with the same drive.  Of course a call to Lenovo support yields the same canned question and answer: is the drive a Lenovo brand?  No? Sorry, we can't troubleshoot or otherwise support any drive that is not Lenovo.

Some more information:

1. My Samsung 830 512GB drive transfers at 6Gb/s in both bays of the W520.

2. The PNY 480GB drive transfers at 6Gb/s in both bays of the later W530 Thinkpad model .

So there is something about certain manufacturer drives and the W520 primary bay.  It seems odd that it would matter which bay it would be in.  To me, this all suggests something deliberate in the BIOS firmware to cripple hardware from manufacturers that are not on the apporved Lenovo list. Would love to have an explanation showing otherwise from Lenovo, but so far I have no reason to believe otherwise.

With such a massive chunk of the market in higher end laptops, such a trivial cripple in the BIOS by Lenovo--were it deliberate--could obviously have a negative effect on PNY and other American manufacturers of after-market hardware. Come on, show us this is not the case, Lenovo, with a technically sufficient explanation.

W520 CTO BIOS rev 1.37. Core i7-2760QM, 32GB PC3-10600, NVidia Quadro 1000M, Samsung 830 512GB, SanDisk pSSD-S2 32GB, x64 tri-boot: Win2k8R2, Fedora 17, Ubuntu 12.04

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors