cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adante
SCSI Port
Views: 205
Message 1 of 4

If I install from a Window 10 USB, can I use the windows 10 key on the underside of my P51?

I've attempted to factory reset my PC and had a horrible experience. As this does not appear to work, I am considering a fresh install of windows 10.

I've extracted the key using a key extraction tool. What I'd like to know is if I use the Windows installer to get a fresh install of Windows 10, will I be able to use this key?

One would think so but I appreciate there are all sorts of comical licensing issues, the nuances of which I don't particularly care about. My main concern is just having a working computer that is not riddled with crap I do not need. 

If this is not possible, what are my options in this regard?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 197
Message 2 of 4

Re: If I install from a Window 10 USB, can I use the windows 10 key on the underside of my P51?

If your machine was originally licensed for Win 10 (either with a Win 10 preload or Win 7 downgrade preload) the key is in BIOS and should be recognized by the installer.  If it (or any) machine ever had an activated Win 10 running on it, that info should be stored on the MS activation servers and also should be recocognized by the installer or the OS when initially run.

Your subject line is a bit puzzling.  I'm not aware that there was ever a Win 10 key sticker on the bottom of any Lenovo laptop.  If you actually have such a thing, I need to update my notes...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

adante
SCSI Port
Views: 157
Message 3 of 4

Re: If I install from a Window 10 USB, can I use the windows 10 key on the underside of my P51?

Regarding sticker - yes, apologies I forgot where I obtained it from and misspoke. There is no sticker at the bottom of my laptop. I obtained it from a the Magic Jelly Beans Key Finder.

My machine was purchased with Windows 10 professional. As far as I know it had an activated Win 10 running on it.

Edit: specifying 'I do not have a key' and then moving forward with a Pro version seems to work so far.

I just tried the Windows 10 installer and it prompts me for a key. I put the key in and it says "The product key entered does nto match any of the Windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key".

Are there any other options here? How should I be moving forward? How can I validate my system has a license that I can use for a fresh install of windows?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 155
Message 4 of 4

Don't put in the key.  BIOS key detection and activation should be automatic - but may be delayed until internet access is available.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors