cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zoopy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,099
Message 1 of 9

Installed new M.2 SSD in my P50 - Drive burned up, damaged laptop and drive. Warranty refused.

I just bought a new P50.

Bought a Crucial mx300 M.2 SATA SSD drive to install, bought the mounting kit and everything. Read over all the documentation including the hardware maintenance manual. 

Installed the drive LABEL UP, with 6 pins on the left and 5 on the right. Turned on the laptop, instant electrical burning smell, SSD error. Turned off the laptop and found this..

ssd.jpg

There is also damage to the bay and the board.

NOW... I tried putting this drive in flipped over and went with the LABEL UP standard. I could not find ANY INFORMATION ON WHICH WAY TO INSTALL THE DRIVE... there is NOTHING about m.2 drives being asymmetrical.. no information anywhere for the p50 in regards to this. Not to mention you cannot even see the bay as you install it.

Lenovo is currently refusing to cover damages by my warranty (I also purchased an extended warranty)

Crucial sent me a new drive and is looking into it. 

I'm waiting to hear from a repair technician, but basically customer service (who literally knew nothing about computers btw ) told me that it would not be covered because it wasn't a Lenovo drive. 

Anyways, just wanted to vent and warn you all. I still can't find a definitive answer on which way to install it, or even if it was installed improperly. Lenovo simply called and told me it wouldn't be covered and they literally just said what I wrote down on the piece of paper.. they didn't even do a diagnostic or anything.. 

I LOVE lenovo, and I have been supporting them for years, but this is a new low in my opinion. The drive fits in the bay both ways, the bay isn't keyed. AAAAAANyways, I'm gonna continue fighting. 

adamtoday
SCSI Port
Views: 6,975
Message 2 of 9

Re: Installed new M.2 SSD in my P50 - Drive burned up, damaged laptop and drive. Warranty refused.

That is so unfortunate. I  planned to get a 2T NVMe SSD and  I was not aware storage can burn the device if you insert it opposite.  by nature, everybody would insert new storage with label up so it can be cooled by air follow.  I think Lenovo could prevent the issue by adding a simple sticker to warn user how to insert a storage device because that is a very common task. From hardware design, the device simply should keep beeping and stop working if storage is inserted reverse. I am now afraid my new storage can burn even if I insert it the right way.

JensDavid
SCSI Port
Views: 6,960
Message 3 of 9

Re: Installed new M.2 SSD in my P50 - Drive burned up, damaged laptop and drive. Warranty refused.

The drives are CRU, customer replaceable units, so it doesn't matter if the drive is a lenovo-brand or not. There are different types of NVMe connectors on the market and lenovo is clearly marketing their P-series to be compatible with NVMe and doesn't mention which standard to be used (except for in the psref).

There is also a design flaw with 5 and 6 pin-standard that makes it possible to fit 6 pin -> 5 pin socket. Lenovo could have expected this and just have designed the drive bays more user-friendly so it is easy to see the sockets and some critical information about the number of pins that are supposed to fit in the small socket?

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 6,927
Message 4 of 9

Lenovo servicetraining video shows install Label side down. [best I can see].

https://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/showcase?sid=1129&key=TGVuZw==

As stated above, this 5pin 6pin /up label/downlabel error should not occur. 

If you establish a gofundme account, I will contribute. This is a should not occur nightmare.

zoopy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,905
Message 5 of 9

Hmm I never knew about these videos! 

I read the text version of the install guide (the hardware maintenance manual) and it doesn't say anything about orientation.

Still waiting to hear from a repair technician. 

Thanks all

zoopy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,828
Message 6 of 9

UPDATE:

The "service repair technician" called me. 

I answered and he simply said he was a techinician and was told to call me, I asked him if he knew anything about my laptop and he said "uhhh let me look at it" I wait on the phone for awhile and he basically reads what it says on the piece of paper THAT I FILLED OUT.

I explain the situation and ask him if he could put in a new m.2 drive and see if it works.

He told me he would have to SEND IT TO ENGINEERING. So I said, whatever, do that. 

He calls me back in like 10 minutes and "engineering" says they have to send it to "billable." He doesn't explain what that means and I have to ask.. he says I would probably get charged. I explain that they probably dont understand computer parts or why this even happened, and that none of the documentation for installing parts covers this issue.. 

They are hung up on the fact that it is a "third party drive". 

So my laptop is being sent to "billable" now where I await their call and get to argue my case some more.

BASICALLY I am never buying another Lenovo product again. I'm a lifelong fanboy of IBM and Thinkpads and the whole product line. This is my 2nd brand new thinkpad I've purchased and it's really sad to me that, in my mind, the last real staple of true PCs built for PC enthusiasts has such terrible customer service.

Everyone I've talked to has literally no idea what is going on with my laptop, they just read the piece of paper that I filled out and at every opportunity try to send it to someone else. 

I've watched those service repair videos, and they make no mention of which orientation the m.2 drive should be installed. It's an a-symmetrical drive. This laptop is designed for ENGINEERS and with expandability in mind...

phew, ok, I'm done. Thanks for listening.

zoopy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,756
Message 7 of 9

TLDR:

Install your m.2 drive CHIPS FACING DOWN.

Lenovo won't cover this damage. Their documentation doesn't mention this. 

Horrible customer service, although they did finally offer to fix it for $350, after lots of phone calls and talking to different people sending me to other departments practically every time.

raj2986
Paper Tape
Views: 6,249
Message 8 of 9

Just had this exact same thing happen to me! Its very easy to flip the drive around. In my case the drive should be installed label down but I installed it Label up (San Disk X400). Lucky i still had the cover off and pulled power before any serious damage was caused (buring smell gave it away). I am acutally writing you from the PC this happened in. The M.2 Drive pins are were fried and the Mo Bo pins dont look any better but somehow the drive and PC survived and are both working. Lucky its my secondary drive and my primany is a Samsung EVO 850 2.5 drive which didnt suffer any damage. I bet I would be in the same situtation as the OP had the MO BO took a crap! 

This is a bad desgin! not from Lenovo's standpoint but the M.2 standered. Although the Tray design is annoying... The keying is so close is doesnt take much to cause serious issues like this! Hope everyone take note because I wont be the last person to do this. 

GTgamo
Token Ring
Views: 6,231
Message 9 of 9

ssd replacement does require understanding of the pin mappings. It does indeed appear that the drives in question were keyed.

Did you find any useful information? Everyone in the Lenovo forums can thank other members by clicking on the kudos star to the lower left.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors