Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LCHDR
Paper Tape
Views: 220
Message 1 of 4

Installing M.2 NVMe drive in P52

Hello, everyone:

I am new to posting here. I purchased a new P52 just over a month ago as a mostly base unit with thoughts of upgrading myself after I received it. This was only due to the very high costs Lenovo charges to upgrade memory and drives. I upgraded the memory with Crucial already and it looks to be working fine.

I want to install a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe drive to use as my main drive instead of the included 500GB HDD. I am thinking of removing the included 500GB HDD after I get the Samsung 970 EVO installed and working.

I had a few questions about doing this properly and exhausted all options with Lenovo. They have no one that can talk to me about it and answer my questions. Nor do they have any way to contact the person with the knowledge to answer the questions by email. So far my experience with Lenovo customer service has been very bad. I have talked to different Lenovo departments and people trying to get my answers. They are no help at all. So, I have come here to see if someone can give me some answers.

First of all let me say that I only know enough to sometimes get by with computers.

1-There is a type of thick gray tape where the M.2 drives go. The tape is soft and thick with a thin film over the top of it. The thin film can be removed if you are careful and pull it up from the gray cushioned tape and it kind of looks like a thinner type of the mylar flap that you have to hold up to gain access to the slot. I am not sure what the thick gray tape is there for. Does anyone know if it is for just cushioning or is it some type of heat sink? Another question is if I am to remove the top layer of thin tape off of it before I install the M.2 NVMe drive?  Lenovo could not answer these questions, even though they built the machine. They don't address this in the P52 User Guide nor in the videos they show changing out the drive.

2-What would be the best way to transfer everything over from the OEM HDD to the new M.2 drive after I get it installed? Samsung has some software I can use, but I want to use whatever is best. I want to be sure everything moves over and I don't lose anything.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

LCHDR

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 190
Message 2 of 4

Re: Installing M.2 NVMe drive in P52

Hello,

In response to your questions:

1.  The soft, thick gray tape is a thermal pad, and is meant to transfer heat away from the SSD.  Removing the top layer of film will allow it to make contact with the components on the SSD's circuit board and maximize thermal transfer.  Be careful when removing the film so that you do not touch the thermal pad.  It is not toxic, but I would imagine that any oils, dirt, dead skin cells, etc., that came between the drive and pad would reduce its effectiveness.

2.  I have always used the recovery media downloaded from Lenovo in order to perform a clean installation of the operating system, so I do not have any personal experience with disc clong software to share.  If you check the documentation which came with the ThinkPad P52, there should be instructions for using the Lenovo Digital Download Recovery Service in it.  I think it requires a blank 16GB USB flash drive these days.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Morfinas
Punch Card
Views: 138
Message 3 of 4

@goretsky

1.  The soft, thick gray tape is a thermal pad, and is meant to transfer heat away from the SSD.  Removing the top layer of film will allow it to make contact with the components on the SSD's circuit board and maximize thermal transfer.  Be careful when removing the film so that you do not touch the thermal pad.  It is not toxic, but I would imagine that any oils, dirt, dead skin cells, etc., that came between the drive and pad would reduce its effectiveness.

SSD oem installed on film.
When i installed second ssd, first i removed that film, but after i searched info (nothing found), i looked how ssd is factory installed.
So i placed film back. Without film ssd was stiked to that thermal pad.
Some force was needed to remove (unlike oem).

So i think, not nessary to remove that film. Temps ar ok.

Highlighted
LCHDR
Paper Tape
Views: 92
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for the replies. It sure is odd that Lenovo cannot give an answer to this question. If the manufacturer does not know why they build a product the way they do and will not address the question in any literature or videos they offer, how can you believe anyone at the company knows the product that they sell? I guess it really doesn't matter what you do with the "thick gray tape", as Lenovo doesn't know what to do with it themselves.

Thanks, again for both replies!

LCHDR

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors