Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LD12
Serial Port
Views: 777
Message 1 of 3

Installing a Sierra Wireless card into a P50

A friend of mine has a P50, and was interested to know that he could have gotten it from Lenovo with a Sierra Wireless card already installed.  Is this something that he and I can do (I'm a hobbyist desktop builder), or is there some unchangeable difference in the motherboard?  Which Sierra Wireless card fits best and works in the US on the Verizon network?  

rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 711
Message 2 of 3

Re: Installing a Sierra Wireless card into a P50

@LD12 wrote:

A friend of mine has a P50, and was interested to know that he could have gotten it from Lenovo with a Sierra Wireless card already installed.  Is this something that he and I can do (I'm a hobbyist desktop builder), or is there some unchangeable difference in the motherboard?  Which Sierra Wireless card fits best and works in the US on the Verizon network?  

Use's this one for the US market and should work with Verizon per their device page. It goes under the keyboard next to the RAM slots in the mini pci-e slot. you may need more cabling though as the sim goes under the battery I believe when you remove it. From what I can find the cabling should already be there but I would make sure you have the sim tray.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/acc100290

https://www.sierrawireless.com/products-and-solutions/embedded-solutions/products/em7455/

chrome_2017-04-17_12-22-53.png

I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, P50 4K, X1C5
LD12
Serial Port
Views: 676
Message 3 of 3

Re: Installing a Sierra Wireless card into a P50

Okay, so a couple of observations and questions:  

1) I know the Sim card slot is in place, because I took the battery out and put a sim card into it.  It pops in and out, just like a normal sim card holder would. I do not see a sim card holder in the device manager.  

2)  I called Sierra Wireless "sales" number, and they recommended me to the seventh circle of hell (Lenovo customer service) for the upgrade.  The process of shipping a computer to Lenovo, having it upgraded, and shipped back (in working order) seems like something that should be measured on geologic time-scale.  The Sierra Wireless sales guy specifically was doubtful that simply installing his M.2 PCI-e wireless card would function, claiming the factory bios had to be upgraded.  I call BS, but what do I know?

3) I took the back case off, it looks like there are two possible slots for the card (unless it is in that blank space under the battery), but that for another M.2 PCI-e device I will need an additional slot/holder thingy, which seems manufacturer specific.  Any ideas where I can get one of those?  

4) The good news is that IF (big if) I can just plug and play, and find an M.2 holder, the EM7455 Sierra Wireless card seems to be readily available online for about $100.  Seems like a simple fix, but nothing is simple in the world of Lenovo, is it?  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors