cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Juniper2000
Paper Tape
Views: 376
Message 1 of 2

Installing a second 512GB SSD PCIe MLC OPAL2 for the purpose of running linux on it.

Hi, I have a p51 thinkpad with one 512GB SSD PCIe MLC OPAL2 currently running Windows 10. I wish to add a second 512GB SSD PCIe MLC OPAL2 drive to the ssd port with linux os on it. Will I need a boot manager or will the bios detect the second os and give me an option of which os to boot? I also will be upgrading the ram. My p51 came with 16GB DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM and I would like to at least double this. I have a Intel Xeon E3-1505M v6 Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.0GHz) processor and hope to be able to run monte carlo simulations after the upgrades are made. Is their any compatability issues installing a different brand ssd? To optimize speed during the millions of calculations during a monte carlo sim, is their any particular make and model ssd you reccomend? Also, would you reccomend upgrading the cpu? Im a college student working on particle physics research at PSU and hope to be able to run the monte carlo sim off the server, maybe im dreaming, maybe im not. Thanks.

PhilippeElie
Punch Card
Views: 222
Message 2 of 2

Re: Installing a second 512GB SSD PCIe MLC OPAL2 for the purpose of running linux on it.

Hi Juniper2000, just wanted to know if you managed to make this work. I am about to do the same and am also not clear regarding the need or not of a boot manager. In any case, I plan to remove the W10 original SSD before I install Linux Mint on the new SSD so I do not take the risk of screwing up the W10 configuration, but any input would be welcome. thanks ! Philippe

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors