cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pagmar
Paper Tape
Views: 759
Message 1 of 7

Is my graphics card causing my P51 screen to freeze?

Hi!

I have recently bought an almost fully specced Thinkpad P51 for around 3900 euro with almost all of the best components except the SSD and RAM. The SSD is 250GB and i have two 16GB RAM

When a use a program like Adobe illustrator, Rhino or Google Sketchup my screen freezes and im forced to restart the computer with the power button. Literally no other options are available once this happens, the screen is completely frozen.

Can this be caused by a hardware fault in the graphics card?

The computer i fully updated and the operating system has been through a full factory recovery to ensure that the operating system isn't making my problems.

Thank you very much in advance for the help

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 753
Message 2 of 7

Re: Is my graphics card causing my P51 screen to freeze?

Are you forcing the programs to use nVIDIA or are you using integrated graphics?  Freezing is hard to diagnose.  First, look in the event log and see if there is a message.  Run a windows memory diagnostic.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Pagmar
Paper Tape
Views: 748
Message 3 of 7

How do i find out if im forcing the programs to use nVIDIA or not? All i know is that i haven't changed any of those kind of settings. Lenovo helped me with a 5 hour long analasys of the computer which ended up in diagnostics result code and according to them the code was fine.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 737
Message 4 of 7

In general, if you are not forcing nVIDIA for a program, it uses integrated graphics.  I don't have a P51, but I am looking at a P70, which has similar options.  You could try opening the nVIDIA app in the control panel and forcing applications that are having problems to use the nVIDIA graphics.  The current Intel (integrated) drivers can be flaky.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Pagmar
Paper Tape
Views: 727
Message 5 of 7

I opened the NVIDIA Control Panel and pressed "Adjust image settings with preview" and as soon as the nVIDIA preview image came on the screen, the screen froze.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 721
Message 6 of 7

That seems poor.  When I look at that screen, I get a rotating graphic.  Perhaps, someone with more similar hardware can add something. (I have Quadro M600M), but I would call support and describe what you are seeing. 

Rich

Pagmar
Paper Tape
Views: 719
Message 7 of 7

I will call them (Lenovo). Thank you for the advice, it means alot to me!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors