cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 9,604

Question

I am  thinking of replacing my main drive bay HDD to a 7200 rpm drive and installing an SSD on ultrabay as my OS/boot drive.

I have an Intel 7 series C216 SATA AHCI Controller and want to check if the SATA controller is an SATA III.

Answer

Yes, both are SATA3.

From the detailed specifications of the W530 listed here:

Hard drive features
  • 320GB, 5400 rpm, 7mm or 9.5mm high, SATA 3.0
  • 500GB, 5400 rpm, 7mm or 9.5mm high, SATA 3.0
  • 1TB, 5400 rpm, 9.5mm high, SATA 3.0
  • 320GB, 7200 rpm, 7mm or 9.5mm high, SATA 3.0
  • 500GB, 7200 rpm, 7mm or 9.5mm high, SATA 3.0
  • Supports one additional hard drive which can be us

Was this information helpful?

Comments
bosleyjr

Yes, the main hard drive is SATA III (6mb/s).  The hard drives Lenovo offered for the W530 were all SATA III.  My Samsung Disk Magician confirms that my SSD is connect using SATA III.  I believe that the ultrabay drive is also SATA III.  At least, when I recently migrated some data using a drive in the bay, it screamed.

As I understand it, though, the mSATA/PCI Express slot (where either an mSATA SSD or your WWAN card plugs in) is only SATA II. 

I can tell you that Samsung 840 Evo or 850 Pro SSDs roar on this thing.  Very cool.  The animal is pleased.

szh

> As I understand it, though, the mSATA/PCI Express slot (where either an mSATA SSD or your WWAN card plugs in) is only SATA II. 

Yes, it is SATA II ... as I discovered a short while back.

I have a very large mSATA SSD from Samsung (an EVO family, as I recall) and use it for music storage - that does not tax the drive or interface at all.

I had bought it with an intent to make it my boot drive ... but nope! Ended up keeping the OS on the standard hard drive SSD (a Vertex 4 from OCZ Technology) ... it is double the speed of the Samsung 850 EVO mSATA according to the benchmarks I ran.

brhams

Hi ! I also use 3ssd on my W530,in the main bay for OS win7x64 i use a Samsung 850 Pro 256gb,in the dvd bay with a caddy i use a Samsung 860Pro 512gb for storage and in the msata slot i use a Hynix SH920 256gb also for storage and according to Samsung magician sata 3 is available at 3gb/s Hynix.jpg