Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flysurfer
Punch Card
Views: 3,057
Message 1 of 7

LCD Display flickers or just stays black

Hey there!

I just received my brand new W500 with the 1900 resolution display. 1 minute after the first system boot the screen turned black but the backlight still seems to work. The system is not hybernating it is fully working.

After playing around for a bit (moving around, pressing at the battery, reboot) the screen startet flickering and came up again and worked until the next reboot....seems to me like a loose cable or sth...

.is there anything i can do on my own before driving miles to the support center on monday? everything else seems to work fine besides a occasionally buzzing sound from the top left region....

thank you so much for your help!

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 2,995
Message 2 of 7

Re: LCD Display flickers or just stays black

it sounds like a bad or loose cable.   there are a few 3.3V power leads on the cable itself and if those are disconnected or broken then you'll lose the whole image.   if the inverter were bad then you wouldn't see the backlight.

you can try removing the keyboard, then removing and reseating the LCD cable on the planar.   this link has video instructions for the T61--just apply the same method to your W500.   if "pressing at the battery," as you say, sometimes helps the issue then it could very well be loose on the planar.

if that doesn't work then it's either loose at the LCD or somehow damaged, or something completely different like a GPU problem.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad P40 · 600

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,991
Message 3 of 7

i would just send it back to Lenovo for servicing, it is a new laptop afterall so you shouldn't be taking it apart to fiddle around so the screen should work. Let the depot do the work of checking and fixing the problem, it is better to be safe than sorry.
Message Edited by wjli2 on 09-23-2008 03:01 PM
flysurfer
Punch Card
Views: 2,973
Message 4 of 7

Well thanks for your info!

I've actually spent the whole day to drive around all of vancouver to get my laptop serviced: 1st location told me it will take up to 4 weeks to fix ma laptop (to replace a cable!!!!!) the second was a bit better and said it will take only 2 weeks ...hahaha well but the lady suggested me that i simply should return my laptop to place where I've purchased it.

Which i did and after 2 hours discussion and not willing to take my laptop back they offered me to exchange it with another one which they had in stock.

Now here starts the fun: because of that i did some more research about warranty of my model: 4062 27U

Based in the sales person it has 3 year global warranty, Based on the Lenovo site it can only be serviced in antigua and based on lenovo Germany it onl can be under warranty in the states and canada...now who is right?

I wanted to purchase a model with global warranty which can be serviced in germany since i will be living there for the next 2 years on exchange.

I am under time pressure since i will relocate on october 4th so is there a possibility to fully return it or somehow to obtain iws in germany???

Thank you so much in advance for your help!!

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,957
Message 5 of 7

I think Lenovo is still trying to sort out much of the IWS warranty with the new T,R,W,X laptops, i would try to contact Mark_Lenovo regarding this issue and ask them about the exact IWS status of your laptop. Isn't the exchange laptop a similar model. 
Former Administrator
Views: 2,926
Message 6 of 7

flysurfer,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.   I'm investigating with our IWS teams to clarify and update the published coverage for the 4062 model.

In the meantime,  if you are considering an exchange for a different model at your business partner, you might check out the 4058 model W series that has broad IWS coverage

Mark

Former Employee
Views: 2,897
Message 7 of 7

Hi flysurfer,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

For your machine, unfortunately, the warranty is not covered in Germany.

You can check the list of the countries covered here 

You might want to check out 4058 model W series just as Mark had said since it has wide coverage, Germany included.

Hope the info is useful to you.

Cheers,

Timo

Message Edited by Timo_Lenovo on 09-23-2008 11:47 AM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors