Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcc5169
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,354
Message 1 of 17

Lack Of Warranty Support

Has anyone had problems with the Lenovo Warranty not being honored?

I sent my laptop to the Depot (USA) and they kept my laptop for 3 weeks and sent it back without repairing it.  The symptom was the laptop was overheating and shutting off. I have only owned the laptop since January, and the overheating started in April/May, i initially thought it was a 64-bit driver problem.  After sending it to the depot, they claim the following

1 - They claimed something had been spilled on the laptop, voiding the warranty

2 - They were going to charge me $950 to repair

3 - For my money they would not send back the replaced parts so I could verify what had happened

I wanted the parts back so I could  a) see if a spill had occurred b) see if someone at a work site had sabotaged it.

They sent my laptop back withyout answering any of my questions.  Starting to wonder if the warranty is worth diddly.

Model is 4062-4JU.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,322
Message 2 of 17

Re: W500 - Lack of Warranty Support

if the depot claims spill damage, they are suppose to contact IBM service and give photographic evidences, which you can request to be sent to your email.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
jcc5169
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,307
Message 3 of 17

Didnt help .... and I wanted to make sure they were telling the truth, as I had not spilled anything on the laptop and it was only in use 3-4 months before this started happening.  I first thought it to be a driver problem ....

The main problem with warranties is that they are like insurance.  We bet that the product will break before warranty ends, manufacturer designs warranty to limit loss by limiting coverage.  I am still not sure how a "foreign substance" got inside the laptop in a 4 month time frame.

I am also unsure as to my options in pursuing why the warranty was not honored.  I love thinkpads, but my love is waning as the quality of product nd support to not justify the premium pricing. 

Guru
Views: 1,288
Message 4 of 17

Re: Lack Of Warranty Support

My Lenovo Warraty was not being honored too
At first, they told me that they are going to deliver the loan set and deliver my set back to IBM for repair by 28 September 2010. But during that day, I didn't received any call from IBM Service Center and Lenovo Care. Then, I call and alert them. Then, the loaner set with HALF of the power supply was delivered at 3pm. (The one connected to the power cord was not delivered) and I have to call them back and I insist that I need that power cord in other for my laptop and that power cord was delivered at 9pm. I have more dissatisfaction, but i just don't want to share out yet.

Views: 1,270
Message 5 of 17

Until you request the actual photographic evidences from the IBM service (Lenovo warranty support), there is no point really get all worked up on this and speculating on the different permutation of events that could lead to the 'damage claim'.

I think you should see the evidence first and see which parts they are claiming to have found the intrusion of foreign substances.
---------------------------

It would be helpful if you could post a link to these pictures, so we can have a look at the evidences presented.
Regards,

Jin Li

jcc5169
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,265
Message 6 of 17

The pictures showed nothing ..... I think they had a manufacturing problem with the W500 and sold the problems off on ebay 

jcc5169
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,264
Message 7 of 17

This was their last communication b4 the laptop showed up at my door.

All Damaged parts are replaced with new parts, the System Board, Memory chip and Palmrest would All be Replaced with New parts.We cannot return the old parts.Cost of repair is $950.00.Please let me know if you would like to continue with repair or have Machine sent back unrepaired.

The other thing is that I had to buy a new laptop for my work, so I bought a W510.  I am going to try to salvage this one so my daughter can use it, so dont tell me not to get worked up when I have a laptop I bought new in January of 2010 that has a 3 year warranty on it that the manufacturer will not honor and that is unusable because it keeps overheating and shutting down.

jcc5169
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,263
Message 8 of 17

I would loved to have seen the evidence, but all I saw was pictures they took which meant nothing to me.  If they had told me that they tested the circuitry and found that it was grounded out by the substance, it would be different.  They used the appearance of something to justify not honoring the warranty.  If the parts were truly bad (not repairable) they should have been willing to ship them back for my inspection.

The other unreasonable thing is that when they yell substance the repair cost doubles from $500+ to $950, they get to gouge the customer instead of earning their money thru the warranty.

Views: 1,251
Message 9 of 17

It would be better if you can post everything in one post, rather than breaking it up.

The pictures should have clear pointers as to what they suspect are the foreign substances.

Do you still have the pictures, can you upload it, so we can have a look at it?
Regards,

Jin Li

jcc5169
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,196
Message 10 of 17

I had a really hard time when they were working on the laptop (or thinking about it).  I was using as borrowed laptop, and the pictures were sent to a non-persistent laptop.  Remember, they kept the laptop so long (3 weeks) that I had to buy a W510 to be able to continue working.  So, to answer your question, I cannot find the pictures.

The pictures did not tell me anything, as it was hard to see the substance they were implying was there.  In my research, it appears that both the W500 and the W510 have heat problems, so I think they are finding innovative ways to get out of fulfilling their obligation to service the warranty.

Model:4062-4JU

Serial:xxxxxxx

Ticket:33P7H3K

edit note:- S/N removed to prevent misuse

Top Kudoed Authors