cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveWalker
Paper Tape
Views: 644
Message 1 of 7

Laptop battery will charge when computer is off, but when I boot up, it runs off battery only

This is a bizarre problem I think.  My Lenovo P50 laptop will charge when turned off and plugged in.  But when I turn it on, it's running just off battery and therefore discharges rather rapidly (1-2 hours).  It does NOT say "Plugged in but not charging". It just shows that it's running off battery.  Additionally, there is no light on where plug goes in.  If I power down, sure enough light comes on and if I leave it for a few hours and boot up, it's back to 100%.  But then of course, it slowly discharges.  

What the heck is going on?

Thanks,

Dave

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 641
Message 2 of 7

Re: Laptop battery will charge when computer is off, but when I boot up, it runs off battery only

Check to make sure your laptop is not in Airplane mode, because that would cause that behavior.     Check in two places, one under Windows 10's Action center (Icon to the right of Time in taskbar) and using Lenovo Vantage.     It could also be set in Lenovo Settings if you have that installed as well. 

Lenovo Vantage

https://vantage.lenovo.com/

Lenovo_battery_Vantage.png

Edit:    would uncheck "Enable auto detection" as well.

Cheers, 

spocko
SCSI Port
Views: 607
Message 3 of 7

Re: Laptop battery will charge when computer is off, but when I boot up, it runs off battery only

Or your charger may be faulty. I think a low-output charger may be able to charge the laptop while powered off, but not while powered on.

DaveWalker
Paper Tape
Views: 576
Message 4 of 7

Indeed, it seems to have been the darn airplane mode and the fact that it must be checked in two places.  See:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Laptop-won-t-charge-when-plugged-in-but-...

It does leave the open question though, of why my computer thought it was plugged into an airplane.  If you look at the Vantage app, you'll see that it will stop charging if it detects it's plugged into an airplane outlet.  I assure you, I was at home.  And I tried different outlets.

spocko
SCSI Port
Views: 559
Message 5 of 7

Are you sure it has to be checked in both places? I think the Vantage setting is the only one that affects charging, and the Windows airplane mode just disables all the wireless interfaces (similar to airplane mode on a cell phone).

DaveWalker
Paper Tape
Views: 549
Message 6 of 7

No idea spocko. You may well be correct. I was only recently aware of the Vantage app thanks to this forum. I still don't know why it suddenly started doing this and am very curious!
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 534
Message 7 of 7

It's also possible to have a power plan that is - or includes - airplane charging mode.  I'm not clear on whether the settings in Vantage can modify the power plans, but some members (including yours truly) have had to change their power plans as well as Vantage/Lenovo settings.

Z.

ThinkPad Airplane Mode.PNG

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors