Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sarz
Paper Tape
Views: 5,477
Message 1 of 6

Laptop won't charge when plugged in but will charge when its off

Hi, I bought Lenovo ThinkPad P51 this year. I have windows 10 installed on it.

The laptop won't charge when it is on. It will only charge when the the laptop is completely off (it will charge to 100%).

I discovered this problem when I was taking an online university exam. After utilizing all the battery, the laptop stopped working even though the battery charger was still plugged in to laptop all this time. The orange light near the power connecter is on when the laptop is off) but goes away when laptop is on. 

Please advise

Thanks!

Sarz
Paper Tape
Views: 5,473
Message 2 of 6

Re: Laptop won't charge when plugged in but will charge when its off

Nothing to do with Airplane Mode... its off

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,448
Message 3 of 6

what is the wattage of your charger?  It needs 170w.  It sounds you are using a charger that is being detected as 90w.  Is it a Lenovo charger or aftermarket?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Sarz
Paper Tape
Views: 5,429
Message 4 of 6

Hi, Thanks for the message.....It is an original Lenovo charger that came with new Lenovo ThinkPad P51. I am presuming that it is 170 Watts. How do I find if its 90 or 170?... It is heavy in weight compared to other laptop adapters that I have used. It can charge 100% when the laptop is off.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,407
Message 5 of 6

If it is big, it is probably 170w.  Start Lenovo Vantage.  Under hardware settings/power, it should show the wattage of an attached adapter.  The wattage is determined in the power circuitry (motherboard) by measuring the resistance between the center pin and ground (rectangular plug outer surface).  90w is 550 ohms; 170w is 1.9k ohms.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Sarz
Paper Tape
Views: 5,383
Message 6 of 6

I manged to find the problem through Lenovo Vantage. It turns out to be Airplane power mode problem afterall.... I just had to uncheck enable autodetection for airplane mode. It was strange because on the bottom right corner, the airplane mode was off, but it was not off in Lenovo Vantage.

Thanks a lot! Cheers!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors