cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 1,715
Message 71 of 91

Re: Latest NVidia Graphics drivers with 1.3.37 HD Audio driver: no NVidia HD Audio device gets insta

NVIDIA_Audio2.JPG

I've got this to work finally on my P70 using the lastest GeForce drivers on the M3000M with the following procedure:

1. Plug in the Samsung TV to the HDMI port (not sure about using DP-HDMI adapter here)

2. Apply the latest GeForce drivers.

3. Fully shutdown the P70 (shift-key + Shutdown)

4. Reboot the P70

5. The sound will now come out of the Samsung TV either with a full shutdown or fast restart now.

NVIDIA_Audio2.JPG

I've tried multiple restarts and shutdown sequences and the sound continues to come out of the TV in all instances.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.22,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
chrisday
Punch Card
Views: 1,708
Message 72 of 91

Re: Latest NVidia Graphics drivers with 1.3.37 HD Audio driver: no NVidia HD Audio device gets insta

Hi Harris - are you using Hybrid or Discrete Graphics mode ?
Guru
Views: 1,704
Message 73 of 91

Discrete.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,694
Message 74 of 91

Fascinating. I note that you are using the very latest graphics driver 430.39.  I, too, was just today offered this driver update from GeForce Experience but have not yet had a chance to apply it.  However now that you show it seemed to solve the problem for your P70 I will absolutely install it today and give my HDTV experiment another test later.

I have heard back from my Lenovo NC contact, and this result of yours actually surprises me.  Not that I deny you've shown it to be successful in finally fixing the problem, only that it seems to be the opposite of what I was told by Lenovo:

"Last I heard is that this issue was escalated to nvidia.  I have asked the team in Japan to check on their progress and give me an update."

"Here is the update I got:  

According to NVIDIA, this isn’t NVIDIA driver issue: “The fix should go to SBIOS to correct the DCB/MXM display output as HDMI instead of Display port.”  The fix for this issue was added in a trial BIOS and was already verified.  Now we're waiting for formal BIOS release which should come in the next few weeks."

To me this clearly states that nVidia declined to address the solution with a driver fix, but rather pushed it back to Lenovo for a BIOS fix relating to "discrete graphics". And it seems that's exactly what has happened over the past few months.  And apparently a BIOS fix was developed, and tested and verified, and seems to now be in the pipeline for some upcoming official BIOS version upgrade in the relatively near future.

If in fact today's nVidia driver update to 430.39 has actually fixed the problem, I hope that there's some explanation that will square away the seemingly conflicing information now available to us. Mostly I hope that if the 430.39 driver already fixes the problem that the rumored supposedly soon-to-be-released BIOS fix is not incompatible.  We shall see, I suppose.

Also, I'm hoping that just as with the Intel Sceptre/Meltdown BIOS fixes that were rolled out for ALL of the affected machines, that there will be a similar BIOS fix for the W530 (where the HDMI audio problem also occurs when using "discrete graphics"), and/or that the 430.39 driver update also fixes the problem there in a way that would not be in conflict with a related BIOS update on the W530 if it is also issued.

Whatever... looks like finally there has been absolute progress and resolution on this issue, either from Lenovo or nVidia or both.  That's great news.

I will try it myself in a little while and report back as to my results with 430.39.

Guru
Views: 1,692
Message 75 of 91

Correcting the SMBIOS is most likely the correct fix. I had commented months ago that I could not reproduce your problem if I used fast startup in Windows 10. That procedure bypasses the enumeration of the hardware devices which use the SMBIOS. Also, you were using a DP->HDMI adapter which also might have confused things rather than the straight HDMI setup that I was using on the P70. My P1 always says HDMI for audio even when only the laptop display is connected, hence the reason that the P1 did not have the issue. As an aside, I don't plan on upgrading my P70 anytime soon. The P1 has become my main goto unit for both speed and weight!

Glad this is finally getting resolved, but the path to resolution should not have taken so long given that it was a hardware bios issue. Oh, and just for added variability, I'm running Windows 10 1903 on all of my systems.

Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,684
Message 76 of 91

Ok. I've now confirmed for myself the results you've reported above, namely that the latest nVidia retail Quadro (notebook) driver released just today 4/23/2019 actuallty DOES SOLVE THE PROBLEM!! In fact, the "disappearing HDMI audio" problem when connecting to an external HDTV via HDMI cable has now seemingly been resolved.  Yes, my particular test is using a miniDP->HDMI cable but I'd also confirmed the original P70 failure with a true HDMI->HDMI cable.  When I get back home I will confirm that the problem's been resolved with a true HDMI->HDMI cable as well.

I report that I did nothing special to achieve a successful test..  I decided just to use the same old standard approach I've been using for the past six years regarding all nVidia Quadro and GeForce graphics hardware and drivers, be it for desktop or laptop.  I simply go to the nVidia site to see "what's the latest driver", and download the driver file for my graphics hardware (and either Win7 or Win10).  I then RUN it to expand and install, and re-boot after it completes.

In the case of my P70, which is (and always has been) running in "discrete graphics" mode, the install itself was run just as-is (i.e. without reverting to "hybrid graphics" first), and also without any externally connected monitor or HDTV. I'm away from home so all I am using right now is the laptop screen. Had I been home I would have had an external monitor connected (miniDP->DP) when running the install. I honestly don't think anything special needs to be considered in terms of doing the driver install to make sure it fixes the problem.

My feeling is that I'm sure it was the driver update from the previous (and still failing) 425.31 to the new (and once again working) 430.39 which is 100% responsible for the solution. I honestly don't think there is any impact of the related HDMI Audio driver update from 1.3.38.13 to the new 1.3.38.16 which is involved. Although I haven't tested it yet (but plan to, just for closure), I suspect that if I do a "driver rollback" for the HDMI audiio driver back to 1.3.38.13 while keeping the new graphics driver at 430.39, that the "disappearing HDMI audio" problem will still be "fixed".

Now, what about the curious mystery regarding the fact that Lenovo Japan said that nVidia had bounced the problem back to the SMBIOS team for fixing, and yet here we install nothing but an nVidia driver update with no BIOS update and yet magically the problem gets fixed??  Was that planned?  Was that a complete accident, from something else that got changed in this graphics driver release totally unrelated to this issue?  It's certainly not clear, although it's for sure that the problem is now resolved with the very same untouched "discrete graphics" BIOS logic in the P70 which failed with 425.31 and now works with 430.39.

The "release notes" for 430.39 states:

What’s New in Version 430 U1

• Added support for Windows 10 May 2019 Update (Version 1903, code name “19H1”)
  • NVIDIA Control Panel -> Set Up Multiple Displays page
  • Added controls for merging two portrait monitors into a third landscape monitor.
  • NVIDIA Control Panel-> Display-> Change Resolution page
  • Added additional Desktop color depth options for 10bpc displays - HDR (64-bit), WCG (64-bit), SDR (30-bit color), and SDR (24-bit color).

Fixed Issues in Version 430 U1

• [NVS 810][Poolmon][Mosaic]: Memory leak is reported when running the application using Mosaic mode. [2498018]

No mention of any fix related to HDMI audio. I suspect I could also test the latest Win7 driver and would also see a fix.

Now if the Lenovo BIOS team is soon going to release whatever changes they've made, I'm hoping those changes won't somehow be incompatible or problematic for whatever nVidia's now done to their graphics driver which appears to have successfully brought back the working HDMI audio implementation which had worked properly and successfully with Lenovo's "discrete graphics" BIOS forever... until just after 392.00.  So they've either now finally located what it was that they changed after 392.00 that was so fatally incompatible with "discrete graphics" that impacted HDMI audio, or they've accidentally touched or added something such that they've unwittingly reverted how their 430.39 works so that it simply once again works just as it did with 392.00 and older with respect to "discrete graphics" and HDMI audio.

Whatever the underlying facts regarding what nVidia actually did, and what Lenovo will soon be releasing in the next BIOS version, let's hope it all gets sorted out to everybody's satisfaction and that we continue to have working HDMI audio once again. I'm guessing that when I return home and get to apply the 430.39 driver update to my W530, that I also will once again have working HDMI audio... again without any Lenovo BIOS update required.

NOTE: way back when I started this thread in early December 2018, I had already called nVidia and opened a ticket with them reporting this issue, which I of course assumed was a driver problem since it had started with the very first released driver after 392.00, in both Win7 and Win10.  They eventually told me that since this was an OEM graphics situation, I should report it to Lenovo and their OEM team, who would then work to get it resolved.  They declined to pursue my ticket any further. So here we are, just over 4 months later, and thanks to something (either Lenovo involvement, or pure coincidence), a solution to the problem has been published that is strictly from an nVidia driver update, i.e. from the same source that broke things in the first place.  Fascinating how things work sometimes.

Guru
Views: 1,681
Message 77 of 91

Yahoo!

chrisday
Punch Card
Views: 1,655
Message 78 of 91

As a side note; I'm still getting the blankscreen at reboot when in discrete mode with the 430 NVidia driver installed., so hopefully a Lenovo fix will resolve this sometime soon.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,640
Message 79 of 91

By this description do you mean a long period of black screen at machine boot, as opposed to after Windows has been initiated and the desktop is being prepared for presentation? And does this black screen eventually produce the normal sequence of regular screens so that you eventually boot to Windows and see the normal desktop?  Or can you simply never see Windows desktop or anything thereafter?  Are you running Win10 or Win7?

Of course once you get to Windows, if you are in "discrete graphics" mode then it is the nVidia graphics driver which writes output to the laptop screen through Windows. If in "hybrid graphics" it would be the Intel HD Graphics driver that writes output to the laptop screen through Windows.  So do you have black screen in "discrete graphics" but normal operation in "hybrid"?

So with "discrete graphics" if you are having problems at machine boot, that's one issue... related to BIOS and some setting.  If you have normal machine boot VGA display but then never see the Windows desktop when in "discrete graphics" that would describe another issue seemingly related to the nVidia driver. And if your issue disappears when operating in "hybrid" mode, that would seem to confirm an issue with nVidia driver and "discrete graphics" on your P70.

Personally, I've never had anything on my P70 like the symptom you're describing.  I did have a problem (not related to "discrete graphics") of a "long black screen at machine boot" which eventually (after 2 minutes or longer) finally produced the normal sequence of screen outputs, seemingly related to the presence or absence of connected USB flash drives or USB external hard drive.  This began happening at BIOS 2.20 and newer, and was never present in BIOS 2.19 and older.

The "solution" was to change the BIOS option in the Startup tab, Startup -> Boot -> UEFI/Legacy Boot.  The default option was set to "Both", and was apparently the trigger... exposing some issue (born with 2.20 I assume) dealing with Legacy vs. UEFI.  I was advised by Lenovo to change "Both" to "UEFI Only" to see if that made any difference.  And sure enough, like magic the 2-minute black screen symptom disappeared.  Screens were now presented instantly, quickly, and normally, using "UEFI only".  So that's how  I now operate.

But I've always had "discrete graphics" set, ever since my P70 arrived in January 2016.  Never had any machine-boot long black screen symptom of any kind until BIOS 2.20.  And that's now been cleared up going to "UEFI only".  Never a black screen in Windows or after desktop appears, no matter what nVidia driver I've used.

chrisday
Punch Card
Views: 1,602
Message 80 of 91

Q.By this description do you mean a long period of black screen at machine boot, as opposed to after Windows has been initiated and the desktop is being prepared for presentation?
A. Windows has been initiated and the desktop is being prepared for presentation?
Q. And does this black screen eventually produce the normal sequence of regular screens so that you eventually boot to Windows and see the normal desktop?
A. No, although the secondary display via the miniDP is active
BIOS is set to UEFI Only
BIOS 2.29
EC 1.18
Model 20ERS00600
ME Firmware 11.8.60.3561

The n1cdh75w.exe driver is the latest I can use successfully and consistently using Discrete Mode and of course, NVidia HD Audio

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors