cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 494
Message 11 of 91

Re: Latest NVidia Graphics drivers with 1.3.37 HD Audio driver: no NVidia HD Audio device gets insta

I was able to test on ThinkPad P70 today.  It's running Win10 version 10.0.17134.471

After installing n1cdh81w.exe from support website, I have the following driver versions showing in Device Manager:

Intel HD Graphics P530 - 24.20.100.6344

NVIDIA Quadro M3000M - 24.21.13.9836

NVIDIA High Definition Audio - 1.3.37.4

I'm not having any problem to play audio on the HDMI TV.

From your screenshots, it looks like you are running C:\DRIVERS\WIN\VIDEO\NVIDIA\setup.exe, but this is not the Lenovo-recommended way.  Could you please try running n1cdh81w.exe and then leave the option checked at the end about "install ThinkPad Video Features now".  I don't know if this makes a difference or not.  I'm just telling you what I did and I don't see the problem you are reporting.

I also remembered that you are dual-booting Win7 so there is something else I'd like you to try, in case the above suggestion doesn't work.  In BIOS setup, to allow dual-booting to Win7, Startup -> CSM must be set as Yes.  Please try setting it as No and then see if the Win10 problems are gone.  This will break Win7 but you can set it back to Yes after we are done experimenting.  I've seen cases in the past where the CSM interferes with video driver configuration in a UEFI OS like Win10.

JohnL
Token Ring
Views: 480
Message 12 of 91

Re: Latest NVidia Graphics drivers with 1.3.37 HD Audio driver: no NVidia HD Audio device gets insta

Another suggestion ...

Uninstall the NVIDIA components (ALL of them). See the README for the latest update for uninstall considerations.

Uninstall the REALTEK AUDIO components. You must follow the instructions in the README file; there is no quick way to do this.

Reboot.

Install the appropriate NVIDIA/INTEL GRAPHICS update. These are WINDOWS dependent.

Reboot.

Install the most recent REALTEK update.

Reboot.

In DEVICE MANAGER, select the REALTEK (R) AUDIO entry in 'Sound, video and game controllers'. Select the DRIVER tab and then update the drivers.

SeniorGuru
Views: 469
Message 13 of 91

@someotherguy wrote:

I was able to test on ThinkPad P70 today.  It's running Win10 version 10.0.17134.471

After installing n1cdh81w.exe from support website, I have the following driver versions showing in Device Manager:

Intel HD Graphics P530 - 24.20.100.6344

NVIDIA Quadro M3000M - 24.21.13.9836

NVIDIA High Definition Audio - 1.3.37.4

I'm not having any problem to play audio on the HDMI TV.

From your screenshots, it looks like you are running C:\DRIVERS\WIN\VIDEO\NVIDIA\setup.exe, but this is not the Lenovo-recommended way.  Could you please try running n1cdh81w.exe and then leave the option checked at the end about "install ThinkPad Video Features now".  I don't know if this makes a difference or not.  I'm just telling you what I did and I don't see the problem you are reporting.

I also remembered that you are dual-booting Win7 so there is something else I'd like you to try, in case the above suggestion doesn't work.  In BIOS setup, to allow dual-booting to Win7, Startup -> CSM must be set as Yes.  Please try setting it as No and then see if the Win10 problems are gone.  This will break Win7 but you can set it back to Yes after we are done experimenting.  I've seen cases in the past where the CSM interferes with video driver configuration in a UEFI OS like Win10.

You are correct.  I am running the C:\Drivers\Win\Video\Nvidia\Setup.exe in order to experiment with the two recent Lenovo-provided Nvidia driver versions, 389.08 and 398.36.  I run with BIOS set to "discrete graphics" and don't have an Intel HD Graphics item in Device Manager.  I believe (but may be wrong here) that attempting to auto-install the dual-driver Lenovo package when there is no Intel HD Graphics hardware present but only NVidia hardware causes an install failure.  Anyway, that's the reason I've been manually running the NVidia setup.exe by itself so-called after-the-fact (i.e. after self-expanding the driver package into its separate Intel and Nvidia parts, but then manually running only the NVidia part).  This is how I've been able to manually experiment with any version of Lenovo-provided driver to document this story.

Early on, almost at the beginning, I did reset the BIOS to "hybrid graphics" just so that I could install the latest Lenovo Optimus driver combination package for Intel and Nvidia, and for that situation I did leave the box checked for "Install Thinkpad Video features now" rather than un-checking it.  And that process ran quietly and silently and completely and successfully, thus updating both Intel and Nvidia graphics and HD Audio Drivers to the latest delivered versions.  I checked Device Manager after this install and both Intel and NVidia driver versions appeared to have installed as expected.  Upon completion I reverted the BIOS back to "discrete graphics" which again disappeared the Intel HD Graphics, but presumably was now running with NVidia-only hardware and the appropriate latest 398.36 Lenovo-provided Nvidia driver.

And then I connected the HDMI cable to my HDTV/AVR, re-booted expecting normal digital HD Audio to be available on my HDTV/AVR, and discovered that the NVidia HD Audio device was now no longer present in Device Manager.

And this was one of the early "failure" data points. The true first original "failure" data point came from trying the retail NVidia latest WHQL 411.95 driver package, installed while "discrete graphics" was my BIOS setting (which it always normally is).  I didn't have any expectation of any problems, and in fact had been running with 411.95 installed for at least a month in my normal desktop configuration of using an external Eizo video-only montior (via miniDP->DP cable from the P70) and also using the laptop speakers through analog Realtek audio.  There had been zero problems with this "office" setup.  It was only when I casually connected the P70 to my external HDTV/AVR system that I first noticed I wasn't getting any HDMI audio delivered and began to look further into what was going on.

So after 411.95 from NVidia produced the symptom (of no NVidia HD Audio device in Device Manager, with the resulting corresponding absence of NVidia digital audio devices in Playback Devices) I decided to give the latest 398.36 package from Lenovo a try... installed exactly as recommended with "hybrid graphics" set and letting it auto-install both Intel and Nvidia driver families.  As I said above, this "worked" successfully as far as completing, but when then going to "discrete graphics" again I still didn't have external HDMI audio devices, same as had failed with 411.95 from NVidia.

That's when I begain probing deeper into the parameters of why both 411.95 and 398.36 were failing (as were two other earlier 411.xx versions from NVidia, also installed while "discrete graphics" was still set), and made the discovery that all of the failing versions were using recent driver packages from both Lenovo and Nvidia that included 1.3.37.4/1.3.37.5 of the NVidia HD Audio driver.  It was then that I went back further in the older Lenovo-provided driver packages, and discovered that the most recent Lenovo-provided package which still included the previous 1.3.36.6 NVidia HD Audio driver was the 389.08 version.  So that's what I manually installed (from Setup.exe in the expanded \Drivers folder for NVidia) while still set to "discrete graphics".

And remarkably, THIS WORKED!!!  With the HDMI cable connected to my HDTV/AVR there was no longer a "disappearing" NVidia HD Audio Device in Device Manager, and all four of the digital NVidia audio devices now appeared in Playback Devices as expected (with one of them auto-selected simply by virtue of the boot process with the HDMi cable connected), and sure enough I was now able to play both audio and video through my external HDTV/AVR system.

I had done nothing different in all of these repeated "data point experiments" other than use a different vendor-provided driver package. Almost all of these were installs done with "discrete graphics" in effect, with just one being that early "hybrid graphics" situation (at least in order to run the Lenovo Optimus package with the "proceed automatically" box still checked).  It didn't matter whether I ran the Lenovo-provided NVidia Setup.exe manually from the expanded \Drivers folder or ran an Nvidia-provided retail WHQL driver, what was important was the version of the driver package and whether or not it included 1.3.36.6 (included with older graphics driver versions) or 1.3.37.x (included with newer graphics driver versions) of the NVidia HD Audio driver:

(a)  The 392.00 (from NVidia) and older (i.e. 389.08 from Lenovo, installed manually from \Drivers and Setup.exe) packages ALL WORKED FINE and allowed installation while "discrete graphics" was in effect and also provided the NVidia HD Audio Device in Device Manager.  These all ended up with NVidia HD Audio driver 1.3.36.6 installed.

(b) The three 411.xx versions (from NVidia) along with the 398,36 version from Lenovo ALL FAILED to support HDMI audio, and had "disappearing" NVidia HD Audio Device in Device Manager and nothing from NVidia showing in Playback Devices.  All of these installer packages included NVidia HD Audio driver 1.3.37.x installed.

Note that I had the IDENTICAL RESULTS using my Thinkpad W530 with its K1000m graphics, also running Win10, and also running with "discrete graphics" as the normal situation.  Once again, with either its latest Lenovo-provided G5DN18WW Optimus package (which is NVidia graphics driver 388.75 and the older "working" NVidia HD Audio Driver 1.3.36.6) installed, or 392.00 WHQL from NVidia (which also still contains 1.3.36.6 of NVidia HD Audio driver), HDMI Audio to an external HDTV/AVR works perfectly... with "discrete graphics" still in effect for both driver install as well as Windows operation.  But if I go further, and attempt to use an Nvidia 411.xx WHQL version (note that Lenovo doesn't provide a more recent driver version for the W530) which includes 1.3.37.5 version of NVidia HD Audio driver, now it FAILS to provide HDMI audio... same exact story as with my P70.

What I have actually not experimented with yet (but will, later today) is leaving "hybrid graphics" in effect for both the 398.36 Optimus reinstall as well as then for "operation".  In theory the NVidia M3000M should used for all external monitors with Intel graphics used for the laptop, so I should be able to get HDMI Audio (from NVidia's 1.3.37.4 driver) on my external HDTV/AVR while still in "hybrid graphics" mode.  If this "works" to deliver HDMI audio, but installing and running with "discrete graphics" fails to deliver HDMI audio, well we will have one more "data point" to consider.

But "discrete graphics" is certainly an authorized configuration.  If this somehow contributes to or is responsible for the new symptom of "disappearing HDMI Audio Device in Device Manager" when using the recently available NVidia HD Audio driver 1.3.37.x, then that's simply a new defect that must be chased down and resolved and corrected.

More results later.

SeniorGuru
Views: 467
Message 14 of 91

@JohnL wrote:

Another suggestion ...

Uninstall the NVIDIA components (ALL of them). See the README for the latest update for uninstall considerations.

Uninstall the REALTEK AUDIO components. You must follow the instructions in the README file; there is no quick way to do this.

Reboot.

Install the appropriate NVIDIA/INTEL GRAPHICS update. These are WINDOWS dependent.

Reboot.

Install the most recent REALTEK update.

Reboot.

In DEVICE MANAGER, select the REALTEK (R) AUDIO entry in 'Sound, video and game controllers'. Select the DRIVER tab and then update the drivers.

I'm not wanting to use analog Realtek Audio (i.e. laptop speakers) for my external HDTV/AVR situation.  In fact this is what I'm actually forced to use right now (without any problem), with external video going out via HDMI to my HDTV and sound coming from the analog laptop speakers since that is the only available Playback Device.  There is no HDMI Audio device option appearing in Playback Devices or in Device Manager.

My problem is not a failure of analog Realtek audio from the laptop speakers. My problem is failure to be able to use HDMI Audio through HDMI cable connected to my external HDTV/AVR setup, since there is no digital NVidia audio device in Playback Devices.

And this problem ONLY occurs if I use a recent graphics/HDaudio installer package from either Lenovo or Nvidia which includes the newest NVidia HD Audio driver 1.3.37.x.  The problem DOES NOT OCCUR if I use an older graphcs/HDaudio installer package from either Lenovo or Nvidia which includes the previous NVidia HD Audio driver 1.3.36.6.

Surely this points to a problem with either the functionality in newest NVidia HD Audio driver 1.3.37.x, or more fundamentally a problem with its actual installation in Windows.

I still have an open ticket with NVidia on this. I've been told it's been elevated to 2nd-level engineering for evaluation, and am still awaiting a reply.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 463
Message 15 of 91

I may have misunderstood your point earlier.  I know you normally run in "Discrete" mode and ran into this problem.  But I thought you said you switched to "Hybrid" mode and the same problem still happened.  So that's why I only tested in the default/hybrid configuration.  I will retest in "Discrete" mode.

JohnL
Token Ring
Views: 458
Message 16 of 91

I believe that the REALTEK drivers are preventing the proper installation of the NVIDIA drivers.

BTW ... the uninstall section of the REALTEK is missing an important piece of information. I'll update when I have a bit more time.
SeniorGuru
Views: 453
Message 17 of 91

@JohnL

@JohnL
I believe that the REALTEK drivers are preventing the proper installation of the NVIDIA drivers.

BTW ... the uninstall section of the REALTEK is missing an important piece of information. I'll update when I have a bit more time.

Interesting. If true, this would be a new anomaly affecting only newest NVidia HD Audio driver 1.3.37.x, since it has no impact on the previous 1.3.36.6 which installs just fine along side the already-installed Realtek driver.

Uninstalling/reinstalling Realtek drivers for desktop machines has long been an annoyance, as everything you might have customized (e.g. custom EQ settings) is disappeared when the product is uninstalled, requiring that you manually re-customize all over again.  There is no re-usable INI or CFG file you can save before uninstall and then restore after re-install that will get you everything you might have set up previously.  Even the key (in the Registry) that is used to hold these customizations (e.g. custom EQ settings) changes with the new install, so you have to go hunting for it.

Turns out I only have a few custom EQ settings setups on my desktops, and I've just taken to having the values saved in a TXT file which doesn't take but a few minutes to re-install manually after a new driver upgrade if I'm forced to do it. But it really is one of the unfriendly aspects to the Realtek driver situation.

If the same kind of story holds for Realtek drivers for laptops (which it probably does) it's certainly not something I'd voluntarily want to opt for.  But I think that on the laptop I'm using one of the available presets for speakers/headphones rather than a custom EQ, so maybe it will not be too awful if I do go through with this.  Of course it might just be easier for me to use a "system image" backup of current setup before experimenting, and then just go back to ground zero where I am right now with a 10 minute restore, if your idea doesn't actually work around the NVidia HDMI Audio issue successfully.

Thanks for the idea. I will experiment further including first just going back to "hybrid graphics", upgrading to 398.36/1.3.37.4 from 389.08/1.3.36.6 where I currently am and then leaving the P70 in "hybrid graphics" mode while I connect the external HDTV/AVR via HDMI just to see if the NVidia HD Audio Device remains installed in Device Manager instead of disappearing after re-boot.  If so, then I would switch to "discrete graphics" and see whether the NVidia HD Audio Device for some reason now does still remain present, or if it now suddenly now disappears.

And I can certainly try your Realtek-related workaround recipe idea as well.  I'll just start off with a "system image" backup to make recovery easy after all experimenting is complete.

SeniorGuru
Views: 429
Message 18 of 91

@someotherguy wrote:

I may have misunderstood your point earlier.  I know you normally run in "Discrete" mode and ran into this problem.  But I thought you said you switched to "Hybrid" mode and the same problem still happened.  So that's why I only tested in the default/hybrid configuration.  I will retest in "Discrete" mode.

I have now completed extensive testing.

(1) First I reverted back to "hybrid graphics" and forced the back-level installs of both the 23.20.16.5018 Intel HD Graphics driver and 389.08 NVidia graphics driver contained in the N1CDH78W 389.08/1.3.36.6 package from Lenovo. That was my new starting point, with "hybrid graphics" active.  And with this setup everything worked fine, both with laptop+Eizo (via DP) as well as laptop+LGTV (via HDMI).  In fact the NVidia HD Audio Device did get created in Device Manager "sounds" and the digital NVidia audio devices showed up in Playback Devices.  The LG TV was automatically selected and activated when the P70 was booted from this setup and with the HDMI cable going to my LG TV.

The install method was to run N1CDH78W with the "install" box checked, so that everything happened automatically as Lenovo intended.

Note that this is identical to my own "discrete graphics" results when using any driver package (from either NVidia or Lenovo) at version 392.00 or older, which still includes the older NVidia HD Audio driver 1.3.36.6.

(2) Next, I switched to "discrete graphics" and everything STILL WORKED FINE... both with laptop+Eizo or laptop+LGTV.  No disappearing NVidia HD Audio Device from Device Manager, and digital NVidia HD Audio devices remained visible in Playback Devices.  Again, this is what I would expect since the NVidia driver (which started at 389.08 and magically automatically upgraded itself to 391.74 at sometime during my testing, since it was at 391.74 after I switched to "discrete graphics") was still at a level of 392.00 or older, and the installed NVidia HD Audio driver was still at 1.3.36.6.

So with the 391.74 graphics driver and 1.3.36.6 HD Audio driver now present, and "discrete graphics" in effect, still no problems.  I was able to deliver digital audio via HDMI to my LG TV.  Again , this is what I would have expected since I'm still running with a graphics driver 392.00 or older, and an audio driver of 1.3.36.6.  Works perfectly, both "hybrid graphics" and "discrete graphics", when an HDMi cable goes from P70 to the LG TV.

(3) Next, I reverted back to "hybrid graphics" with the Eizo monitor again connected via DP (i.e. HDMI cable to LG TV removed) in order to now perform the installation of N1CDH81W package from Lenovo using the checkbox "automatic install"  method for this latest 398.36/1.3.37.4 driver package.  Once again the install went fine, and I ended up with the correct latest 398.36 graphics driver installed as shown in Device Manager.  However since my Eizo has no speakers, the NVidia HD Audio Device did not yet show up in Playback Devices.

But when I shutdown, disconnected the Eizo, and connected the LG TV via HDMI cable and re-booted, well now the NVidia HD Audio Device showed up in Device Manager and the digital NVidia audio devices appeared in Playback Devices. And the LG TV was automatically selected as the default audio output device.

So everything is still looking terrific... as long as I'm running "hybrid graphics".

I also note that throughout all of this experimentation so far I was running with Windows Display Settings set to "duplicate these displays" so as to have all output presented on both the laptop screen as well as the external display device, be it either the Eizo monitor or the LG TV.  And right up to this latest setup with "hybrid graphics" and the latest 398.36/1.3.37.4 driver install I continued to see output on both screens, whichever two they were.

(4) Next, I switched to "discrete graphics".  And now the S*** hit the fan.

(a) no more laptop screen output from what was supposed to be "duplicate these displays".  For some reason things had changed to "show only on 2" in Windows Display Settings.  Looking into NVidia Control Panel at "set up multiple displays" the laptop screen was shown as un-checked but there was no (1) next to it, and I was unable to check it back to life. And without NVidia driver activated support for the laptop screen Windows Display Settings would not allow me to set "duplicate these displays".  So I was stuck with video only via HDMI to the LG TV, and no duplicate video output possible on the laptop screen.

(b) The NVidia HD Audio Device had disappeared from Device Manager!  Only the analog Realtek laptop speaker audio device was available, and of course only the Realtek speakers were available in Playback Devices and this device was therefore selected as default.

(c) For some unknown reason, I lost access to the other two desktop machines on my LAN! I can't believe this is related to reverting to "discrete graphics" with 398.36/1.3.37.4 installed, but neither can I explain what happened here. No ethernet cables were touched in any of this, and yet I definitely seemed to have lost access to network computers.

THE PROBLEM IS CLEARLY TIED TO "DISCRETE GRAPHICS" WHILE TRYING TO RUN ANY NEW DRIVER PACKAGE WHICH INCLUDES 1.3.37.x NVIDIA HD AUDIO DRIVER.  This includes 398.36 from Lenovo and any 411.xx from NVidia.  The symptom is the loss of NVidia HDMI Audio Device in Device Manager and Playback Devices, forcing the use of Realtek speakers in the laptop.  Running this problematic new driver combo but with "hybrid graphics" WORKS PERFECTLY!!

Any driver package with graphics driver 392.00 or older still includes 1.3.36.6 NVidia HD Audio driver, and anyt of these these combinations has ZERO problem with "discrete graphics", and so can be used in either "hybrid graphics" or "discrete graphics" mode.  Once available (by HDMI connection to a display/TV with audio capability) the NVidia HD Audio Device is automatically installed in Device Manager and Playback Devices, and DOES NOT EVER DISAPPEAR!  It is always present and visible (if you check "show disconnected devices") as "unplugged" even when using Realtek laptop speakers.

I mention that I have now reverted (through a restore of a "system image" backup taken before all of this latest round of experimenting started) back to where I originally was operating, which was running "discrete graphics" and with 392.00/1.3.36.6 drivers installed. 

And everything is once again "perfect", via Eizo (DP) or LG TV (HDMI). When the LG TV is connected I have digital HDMI audio available in Device Manager and Playback Devices, and thus available through the HDTV/AVR.  And access to my other network computers has returned from that very mysterious temporary loss when I was still running 398.36/1.3.37.4.  I sure would like to try that one again to see if I can duplicate that crazy symptom which seems completely out of the blue and unrelated to video/audio setup.

I don't think it's necessary to post a whole series of screenshots again, as they really are the same as I posted originally when I was initially fooling around with 411.95 from NVidia and then 398.36 from Lenovo and first discovered this anomaly.  Tonight's research clearly points to a direct cause of this problem from "discrete graphics" in both my P70 (M3000M) and W530 (K1000m), somehow malfunctioning with the 1.3.37.4 NVidia HD Audio driver when using an HDMI connection to the HDTV/AVR.  Simply reverting to "hybrid graphics" and leaving everything else untouched (including the very same NVidia video and audio driver versions that just failed with "discrete graphics") to magically cause HDMI audio to the HDTV/AVR to now work perfectly.

Note that this issue appears in Win10 but not Win7 using driver packages from Lenovo, because these packages for Win7 all are older and still use 1.3.36.6 of the audio driver.  It is only in the Win10 versions of these packages that the newer 1.3.37.4 audio driver is included along with a newer graphics driver.  So there's really no way to duplicate this whole research in a Win7 environment, aside from using an Nvidia-provided newer driver package for Win7... which I don't want to do because it would complicate things even more.

Still not clear if this is an NVidia-caused problem with their newest 1.3.37.x audio driver (since 1.3.36.6 works), or a combination of the new audio driver and recent video drivers newer than 392.00, or really a problem with Lenovo laptops (at least P70 and W530) and "discrete graphics" in the BIOS somehow not playing well with the latest 1.3.37.x audio driver.

Guru
Views: 395
Message 19 of 91

I have NO issues with the latest Lenovo supplied NVIDIA drivers which include 1.3.37.4 HD audio driver. I see no useful purpose in installing an untested by Lenovo  NVIDIA release on the P70. The current release works on all my HDMI devices including my Sony 65"TV. BTW, I installed this release with the BIOS setting of Discrete only without any issues so I'm not really understanding why you felt the need to go back to hybrid (Optimus) in order to run the update.

YMMV

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.22,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
SeniorGuru
Views: 387
Message 20 of 91

I only went back to hybrid graphics yesterday to follow the approach documented by @Someotherguy, who had himself been in hybrid graphics mode trying to reproduce my problems.  He wanted me to use the running of the installer package with the "proceed" checkbox checked, rather than running the NVidia-only Setup.exe from the expanded \Drivers\Win\Video\NVidia folder as I had been doing.

Until this latest Lenovo driver package which includes 1.3.37.4 audio (along with 398.36 graphics), all prior packages have included 1.3.36.6 or older audio (along with 389.08 or older graphics).  For installation of all prior driver packages I, like you, have simply kept my P70 in the same discrete graphics setup as I run in 100% of the time.  And I've never before had any problems at all, not with the install, not with vidao, and not with audio, not on laptop scrreen, external Eizo monitor or external HDTV/AVR.  Only with this latest version, which I observe is the first one that includes the newest 1.3.37.x audio driver from NVidia.

I also mention that normally my laptop screen is dark and I run strictly with my Eizo monitor connected via miniDP->DP cable, and that my Eizo monitor does not have speakers.  On the road I revert to laptop screen, but at home I have "send to 2 only" (where monitor 2 is my Eizo).  This means that normally I am using the Realtek laptop speakers audio, for both Eizo monitor (2) as well as when I'm actually using the laptop screen (1).  There is normally no digital NVidia HD Audio device in Playback Devices to select, although it has been present in the past so the all were grayed-out and showed as "unplugged", from when I might have previously connected via to an HDTV with speakers so that I was using the HDTV for both audio and video).  But they didn't just disappear.

However now with 398.36/1.3.37.4 installed and discrete graphics in effect, all of these old digital NVidia HD Audio devices get disappeared.  Again, this is not the way all prior Lenovo driver packages worked, nor in fact the way all prior NVidia driver packages worked (although again, before 411.xx from Nvidia which now includes 1.3.37.5, all prior 39x.xx packages still included 1.3.36.6).

I don't know what's really at fault here, but perhaps you use an external monitor that has speakers, so that you ALWAYS have HD Digital Audio in your setup.  In my case my Eizo monitor has no speakers, so using it would never have been what caused the digital NVidia HD Audio devices to appear in Playback Devices. It was some prior HDMI connection of my P70 to an HDTV/AVR that triggered those devices to be installed in Playback Devices, with their "unplugged ghosts" remaining there forever when not using HDMI... until this 398.36/1.3.37.4 package when the "ghosts" are literally disappeared.

There has to be SOME reason why I'm seeing the symptom I'm seeing, and yet you say you don't.  Must be some other difference in our setups.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors