cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnL
Token Ring
Views: 1,051
Message 21 of 91

Re: Latest NVidia Graphics drivers with 1.3.37 HD Audio driver: no NVidia HD Audio device gets insta

I know that I promised more here ... still coming. One thing that I suspect (but not fully investigated) is that the NVIDIA HD AUDIO driver is not verified (by Microsoft) for release 1809 of Windows 10; it may work OK but won't install in this environment.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,050
Message 22 of 91

Re: Latest NVidia Graphics drivers with 1.3.37 HD Audio driver: no NVidia HD Audio device gets insta

I'm still running Win10 1803 on both my P70 and W530, both of which are have been running problem-free with discrete graphics for years, never having a problem with HDMI audio from any prior installed driver package.  And in fact I have been using retail NVidia packages forever, rather than the back-level version from Lenovo, perhaps not wisely but that's what I've done.  And I've never had any problem at all with audio or video, never.

Only when I happened to install NVidia's 411.95/1.3.37.5 (the most recent WHQL package available from Nvidia) and randomly decided to connect my P70 to my HDTV to watch something that way did I first encounter this digital HDMI audio problem for the very first time. And that's what started this whole saga, which also is what prompted me to try and use the supposedly Lenovo-certified driver packages (even though somewhat back-level graphics version) in an attempt to get past my issues.

I then investigated  what was going on with my W530 which at the time was running 391.25/1.3.36.6, and also delivered HDMI audio just fine.  But as soon as I upgraded to the same 411.95 I lost HDMI audio.  Hmmm..., says I.

Anyway, I'm at 1803.  And it's sure a strong coincidence that both the 398.36 package from Lenovo as well as all 411.xx and newer packages from NVidia, all of which include 1.3.37.x audio drivers, ALL NOW FAIL ON BOTH MY W530 AND P70, with the identical "disappearing HD Audio Device" symptom when connected via HDMI cable to an external HDTV/AVR that should be able to support digital audio via HDMI.  And in contrast, all Lenovo and NVidia packages which still included 1.3.36.6 audio drivers (and somewhat older graphics) DO NOT FAIL AT ALL, ON BOTH W530 AND P70!

Same exact hardware, same exact laptops, same exact external HDTV/AVR and HDMI cable connection, same exact Win10 1803, same discrete graphics for operation and during driver package install, same exact everything... all worked perfectly using 1.3.36.6 driver packages and all fail identically using 1.3.37.x driver packages.

Coincidence I ask you??  Or somehow related to 1.3.37.x?

JohnL
Token Ring
Views: 1,032
Message 23 of 91

I'm not sure about this one, or how this all works, or if it even matters ... but checking C:\DRIVERS\WIN\NvidiaGraphics\Nvidia\HDAudio\nvhda.cat, it appears that the security certificate (digital signature information) is currently expired.

JohnL
Token Ring
Views: 1,000
Message 24 of 91

I don't have an HDMI device to test this with. But I did have the missing/incorrect level NVIDIA components. This is what I did to fix that. (And I hope that I remembered to include everything below.) You will require administrator privilege to do many of these tasks.

Set the BIOS CONFIG/DISPLAY mode to HYBRID GRAPHICS and boot

Download the current LENOVO ThinkPad Video Features

Download the current NVIDIA drivers from www.nvidia.com (416.78-quadro-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql as of this writing)

Disconnect from the internet

In C:\DRIVERS\WIN\NvidiaGraphics\NVidia, there are several ‘.cat’ files located in the various sub-folders. Install ALL of these. These are security certificates. I don’t know if this is really required, but this allowed me to perform the following. Double-click on each ‘.cat’ file, select ‘View Signature’, then select ‘View Certificate’ and then select ‘Install Certificate’. Choose ‘Current User’ for store location if asked.

Uninstall all NVIDIA software packages using the PROGRAMS AND FEATURES in the control panel (usually … there may be others)

NVIDIA HD Audio Driver

NVIDIA WMI

NVIDIA 3D Vision Controller Driver

NVIDIA 3D Vision Driver

NVIDIA Graphics Driver (must go last … will require a re-boot)

Re-boot

Enter DEVICE MANAGER and select the VIEW option “Show hidden devices”

Expand Display adapters

Select your NVIDIA adapter and select “uninstall device” … be sure to check “Delete the driver software for this device” (this should have happened when the NVIDIA software was deleted via PROGRAMS AND FEATURES, but you never know)

(I also deleted the INTEL device and drivers, but this probably is not a requirement.)

Re-boot

Delete the following folders:

C:\DRIVERS\WIN\NvidiaGraphics

C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation

C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation

C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA

C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation

*** note that ProgramData is a hidden folder … you must update your view settings to see this folder

Install the current LENOVO ThinkPad Video Features

Re-boot

Install the current NVIDIA drivers (downloaded from www.nvidia.com)

*** be sure to select CUSTOM install and CLEAN install

Re-boot

Check PROGRAMS AND FEATURES in the control panel to verify that the feature listed above have been successfully installed

Check DEVICE MANAGER to see that your hardware is present and has been successfully installed

Connect to the internet

Download and install the NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL from the Microsoft Store (click on the 3 dots in the upper right-hand corner of the panel and choose “My Library”, then select NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL)

Good luck! If you try this, please report back.

Guru
Views: 991
Message 25 of 91

I saw that the NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device was not installed on my P1 after installing the Lenovo NVIDIA/Intel update through the Vantage application.

• NVIDIA and Intel Video Drivers for Windows 10 (64-bit) (Version 1803) - ThinkPad P1, X1 Extreme
  • 28 Nov 2018

The issue appears to be that the script which is executed did not install the driver. The fix is that you need to do the following:

1. Navigate to Drivers->Win->NVIDIAVIDEO->NVIDIA->setup.exe

2. Execute the program

3. Run the installation again from the already installed files

4. Reboot system

The NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device will now be installed and audio will be available.

Nvidia.JPG

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.22,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
SeniorGuru
Views: 960
Message 26 of 91

That "NVidia Virtual Audio Device (WAVE Extensible) (WDM)" is NOT the "NVidia High Definition Audio" which corresponds to an actual entry in Playback Devices that you can select to activate delivering audio out over HDMI to the TV.  This is the true name I was struggling to remember when I mentioned it in my earlier post as some new unknown mysterious item which appeared for the first time along with the latest 1.3.37.4 Nvdia Audio Driver we have been discussing.  The purpose and significance of this Virftual Audio Device is unknown to me, but it certainly does not correspond to anything of significance in Playback Devices.  What DOES correspond to the Nvidia digital audio devices in Playback Devices is "NVidia High Definition Audio " in Device Manager "sounds".

I note that I first saw this mysterious "WAVE Extensible" (whatever that means) new device while I was running in hybrid graphics mode and installed the latest 398.36/1.3.37.4 Optimus driver package on my P70. This includes an Intel HD Graphics driver version 24.20.100.6344 dated 9/14/2018. I see that the Optimus driver package for your P1, X1 Extreme contains a newer version of the Intel HD Graphics driver, now at version 25.21.14.161628 dated Nov 2018, no doubt to support the newer generation of Intel CPU in the P1.  Correspondlngly newer is also the driver for this mysterious new "WAVE Extensible" thing, which in your P1 package appears to be at 4.11.1.0 dated 8/22/2018.  in contrast, the slightly older version of this same driver in the P70 Optimus package is 4.8.3.0 dated 6/5/2018.

In other words, a version of a driver for this strange new Nvidia Virtual Audio Device is included in both of our Optimus packages, which both include NVidia HD Audio driver 1.3.37.4.  But this new device is NOT related the NVidia HD Audio for delivering audio out over HDMI. That device is still named "NVidia High Definition Audio" and is supported by NVidia High Definition Audio driver version 1.3.37.4.

Bottom line: there should now be THREE devices appearing in a properly configured Device Manager "sounds" with an HDMI cable plugged in and a driver package containing the new 1.3.37.x NVidia audio: (1) Realtek High Definition Audio, (2) NVidia High Definition Audio, and (3) this new mysterious NVidia Virtual Audio Device (WAVE extensible) (WDM).  It is (2) which facilitates NVidia digital audio devices in Playback Devices to select for HDMI audio output, and this also corresponds to an Nvidia High Definition Audio item also appearing earlier in Device Manager in the "audio inputs and outputs" section.

A picture's worth a thousand words, so here are some screenshots that summarize my results on my P70.  As I described previously, when I ran with hybrid graphics enabled, everything worked fine.  Note from the following screenshots taken after the successful install of 398.36/1.3.37.4 (and hybrid graphics in effect) and an HDMI cable installed that everything I have mentioned above is shown is true:

(a) Device Manager "audio inputs and outputs" shows the NVidia High Definiton audio item being present

(b) Device Manager "sounds" shows the three devices, including Realtek, NVidia HD Audio, and NVidia Virtual Audio

(c) Playback Devices shows Realtek speakers along with NVidia digital audio items

Note that hybrid graphics is active, meaning the NVidia Control Panel will only show externally connected monitors or HDTV.  The laptop screen is managed by the Intel HD Graphics, so it doesn't appear in Physx below.  But in fact I am running in hybrid graphics mode with "duplicate these displays" active so that the identical output is being delivered to both laptop screen (1) and either external HDTV (2) or Eizo (2).

HG_NVCP_398.36_Physx_HDMI-out.jpg

HG_Device-Manager_398.36_HDMI-out.jpg

HG_NVCP_398.36_Digital-audio_Sound-settings_HDMI-out.jpg

Just for contrast, with this same hybrid graphics enabled setup, but with no HDMI cable connecting to my external LG TV I instead used a DP cable to connect to my external Eizo monitor... which has no speakers.  So although a DP cable could deliver digital audio to an external monitor (same as delivering digital audio over HDMI cable to an external HDTV), in my Eizo situation there is no such capability possible.  So in this situation (a) there is NO NVidia Digital Audio item in Device Manager "audio inputs and outputs", and (b) there is NO NVidia Digital Audio item in Device Manager "sounds", and (c) there are NO NVidia digital audio items in Playback Devices.  But you do see that the new mysterious "Nvidia Virtual Audio Device" has made its appearance anyway for the first time (somehow now newly a part of 1.3.37.4 audio) with apparently zero relation to anything in Playback Devices.

HG_NVCP_398.36_Physx_Eizo.jpg

HG_Device-Manager_398.36_Eizo.jpg

HG_NVCP_398.36_Digital-audio_Sound-settings_Eizo.jpg

And finally, to illustrate what happened when I then did nothing more than switched from the above results obtained while hybrid graphics was in effect, to running with discrete graphics in effect, here is what happened.  Remember that I've already got 398.36 graphics installed successfully, 1.3.37.4 audio installed successfully, and 4.8.3.0 of the so-called NVidia Virtual Audio Device installed successfully, and have demonstrated successful delivery of HDMI audio to the LG TV if an HDMI cable is connected... with hybrid graphics running.

So here's what happens when simply flipping to discrete graphics (and re-booting twice, to let all new device discover occur and for Windows to stabilize the desktop).  Note that as I mentioned previously, I am now unable to activate the laptop screen.  Note that although the LG TV is shown as connected via HDMI cable, and although NVidia Control Panel believes it SHOULD be available for HDMI audio to be delivered to, there is NO evidence of NVidia digital audio devices in Device Manager or Playback Devices now that I'm running discrete graphics.  They are being seemingly suppressed, although they appeared perfectly when hybrid graphics was in effect for the identical configuration setup.

And there's also that "breakage" of now being unable to activate the laptop screen (1) for use, reverting (without my request) to "display only on 2" even though just a moment ago (while running hybrid graphics) I was in "duplicate these displays" mode.

DG_NVCP_398.36_Physx_HDMI-out.jpg

DG_NVCP_398.36_Multiple-displays_Display-settings_HDMI-out.jpg

DG_NVCP_398.36_Digital-audio_Sound-settings_HDMI-out.jpg

DG_Device-Manager_398.36_HDMI-out.jpg

Guru
Views: 955
Message 27 of 91

You wrote:

"That "NVidia Virtual Audio Device (WAVE Extensible) (WDM)" is NOT the "NVidia High Definition Audio" which corresponds to an actual entry in Playback Devices that you can select to activate delivering audio out over HDMI to the TV"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I posted previously here for my P1, the Virtual Audio Device driver was missing in my original install from Lenovo Vantage. When I connected my Samsung TV to the HDMI port, there was no sound through those speakers. Re-running the installation and finding the NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device restored the audio output on the TV. I am running Windows 1809 so perhaps this is the change that NVIDIA has made to support that service update. I know that my Intel Digital Graphics installation, which I completed yesterday, completely removed all of the drivers from the system and installed a new version that used a different interface for Windows 10 (Modern Drivers). Here's the notice from the Intel support website:

Intel will be supplying Windows DCH Drivers for its products beginning in November. These drivers will be used for
Windows® 10 and Windows* Server 2019 and will replace the existing drivers

In any event, the NVIDIA level on my P70 is the latest one that Lenovo supports for that system. My P1 is at a level greater than the one described you described in your posts.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
JohnL
Token Ring
Views: 946
Message 28 of 91

I don't have an HDMI device to test with. But, I did have the missing NVIDIA HD AUDIO problem and back-level software versions. This is what I did to correct this situation.

You will require administrator privilege to do many of these tasks.

Set the BIOS CONFIG/DISPLAY mode to HYBRID GRAPHICS and boot

Download the current LENOVO ThinkPad Video Features

Download the current NVIDIA drivers from www.nvidia.com (416.78-quadro-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql as of this writing)

Disconnect from the internet (we don't want WINDOWS UPDATE interfering)

In C:\DRIVERS\WIN\NvidiaGraphics\NVidia, there are several ‘.cat’ files located in the various sub-folders. Install ALL of these. These are security certificates. I don’t know if this is really required, but this allowed me to perform the following. Double-click on each ‘.cat’ file, select ‘View Signature’, then select ‘View Certificate’ and then select ‘Install Certificate’. Choose ‘Current User’ for store location if asked.

Uninstall all NVIDIA software packages using the PROGRAMS AND FEATURES in the control panel (usually … there may be others)

NVIDIA HD Audio Driver

NVIDIA WMI

NVIDIA 3D Vision Controller Driver

NVIDIA 3D Vision Driver

NVIDIA Graphics Driver (must go last … will require a re-boot)

Re-boot

Enter DEVICE MANAGER and select the VIEW option “Show hidden devices”

Expand Display adapters

Select your NVIDIA adapter and select “uninstall device” … be sure to check “Delete the driver software for this device” (this should have happened when the NVIDIA software was deleted via PROGRAMS AND FEATURES, but you never know)

(I also deleted the INTEL device and drivers, but this probably is not a requirement.)

Re-boot

Delete the following folders:

C:\DRIVERS\WIN\NvidiaGraphics

C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation

C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation

C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA

C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation

*** note that ProgramData is a hidden folder … you must update your view settings to see this folder

Install the current LENOVO ThinkPad Video Features

Re-boot

Install the current NVIDIA drivers (downloaded from www.nvidia.com)

*** be sure to select CUSTOM install and CLEAN install

Re-boot

Check PROGRAMS AND FEATURES in the control panel to verify that the feature listed above have been successfully installed

Check DEVICE MANAGER to see that your hardware is present and has been successfully installed

Connect to the internet

Download and install the NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL from the Microsoft Store (click on the 3 dots in the upper right-hand corner of the panel and choose “My Library”, then select NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL)

The key to this fix seems to be the cleanup steps, particularly the deletion of the ProgramData folders.

Good luck! Let me know what happens.

Guru
Views: 940
Message 29 of 91

What is the location to download the current "Lenovo Thinkpad Video Features"?

Thanks

JohnL
Token Ring
Views: 933
Message 30 of 91

NVIDIA Optimus Display Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad P50s, P70, T460s, T560 --- https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1cdh81w.exe (the name varies depending on the model)

also https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/139829/en-us is a beta driver ... if this doesn't fit well, there are other versions in the beta section of the NVidia site

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors