cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeniorGuru
Views: 990
Message 81 of 91

Re: Latest NVidia Graphics drivers with 1.3.37 HD Audio driver: no NVidia HD Audio device gets insta

You need to right-click on the desktop and select nVidia Control Panel from the pop-up menu.

Then select "configure multiple displays" on the left and check your laptop display to activate it as well as your external monitor .

Then ok and close. Then right click on desktop again and select "display resolution". Then configure for either extended desktop or identical output from the dropdown. Ok, confirm change, and close.

You should now have output on both screens, both managed by your nVidia GPU because of "discrete graphics" .

chrisday
Punch Card
Views: 938
Message 82 of 91

Re: Latest NVidia Graphics drivers with 1.3.37 HD Audio driver: no NVidia HD Audio device gets insta

The laptop display remains blank even though the display shows as active in the nVidia Control Panel.
SeniorGuru
Views: 933
Message 83 of 91

@chrisday wrote:
The laptop display remains blank even though the display shows as active in the nVidia Control Panel.

What do you show for Desktop properties, "display settings"? Might it "show desktop only on 1" (or 2, depending on which display isthe external monitor) as it shouldn't?  Or does it show "extend these displays" as it should?

SeniorGuru
Views: 928
Message 84 of 91

@DSperber wrote:

Whatever the underlying facts regarding what nVidia actually did, and what Lenovo will soon be releasing in the next BIOS version, let's hope it all gets sorted out to everybody's satisfaction and that we continue to have working HDMI audio once again. I'm guessing that when I return home and get to apply the 430.39 driver update to my W530, that I also will once again have working HDMI audio... again without any Lenovo BIOS update required.

Well, turns out the latest driver for the W530 (K1000m) is only 425.31, not yet 430.39.

Since I already know the problem was still present in 425.31 there's no point in applying it.  I will simply remain at 392.00 on my W530 until 430.39 (or newer) gets released for it.

chrisday
Punch Card
Views: 872
Message 85 of 91

It shows extend.

I've raised this with support under 408CH76, so if anyone is having the same issue then they can do a meToo. (Admittedly I've had better support from the forum !)
chrisday
Punch Card
Views: 829
Message 86 of 91

Update, as support don't seem to believe the discussion on the forum or follow @DSperber's insights.

Apparently, they don't have this problem, so it doesn't exist. Suggestions on reverting to a pre-install image and trying.

I've asked them for the BIOS and nfo information from their test machine but still waiting on a response.
SeniorGuru
Views: 779
Message 87 of 91

Update on this story.

There is a new thread reporting a similar problem on the P52 (with P2000 on one machine, and P3200 on a second P52), even running with the newest nVidia graphics driver and even running with "hybrid graphics" rather than "discrete graphics".  The wrinkle in this new story is that while HDMI audio is present freshly after re-boot and continues operating normally for a while, if the P52 ever goes to sleep (or gets back to the lock-screen), when it returns from sleep (or out of the lock-screen) the HDMI audio device has DISAPPEARED FROM DEVICE MANAGER!

So this new symptom is very much like our original symptom where the HDMI audio device simply was NEVER present after driver install  and re-boot, when the HDMI cable connection was in place.  It had disappeared, but would "return" to Device Manager if you disconnected the HDMI cable and re-booted. And it seemed to be "cured" by running "hybrid graphics".

Whereas the 430.39 and newer nVidia driver seemed to resolve this problem, I never let my P70 go to sleep.  So I don't actually know if the same "disappearing HDMI audio device AFTER RETURNING FROM SLEEP" symptom actually IS also present with my P70 and I just never knew it until now.  I am going to experiment with this today.

I did see that just yesterday 5/28 Lenovo has finally released an updated BIOS 2.30 for the P70 which contains the following fix:

[Problem fixes]
- Fixed an issue where the display audio feature on the HDMI monitor might not work
  when the "Graphics Device" setting was [Discrete Graphics] in Thinkpad Setup.

This is obviously Lenovo's OEM video team correcting what they believe they found as the explanation for why HDMI audio was disappearing when "discrete graphics" was set. But it's possible there is also this additional "disappearing HDMI audio AFTER RETURNING FROM SLEEP" issue that had never been known until now, which may be present regardless of hybrid or discrete graphics. And this second issue may or may not be fixed (accidentally or on purpose) by this same BIOS fix described as pertaining specifically to discrete graphics.

Anyway, I plan to test today to see if letting my P70 sleep will also lose HDMI audio when it returns from sleep, even though it was present before going to sleep (with 430.39 or newer nVidia driver that had magically fixed the originally reported issue specifically tied to "discrete graphics"). Then I will install the newest 2.30 BIOS, to see if that has any affect on either of the two similar but different problems that have now been reported relating to "disappearing HDMI audio".

chrisday
Punch Card
Views: 759
Message 88 of 91

The BIOS upgrade does not resolve the blank screen issue btw.
SeniorGuru
Views: 753
Message 89 of 91

I've now tried to reproduce with my P70 the symptom described in that other related thread, where HDMI audio device disappears after the P52 comes out of sleep even though HDMI audio was working fine before going to sleep.  I can't.

With the latest nVidia driver (430.86) for my M3000M there doesn't seem to be anything wrong. HDMI audio is still operating normally again (ever since 430.39) before sleep, and after sleep.

So although there's no doubt the HDMI Audio device has disappeared from Device Manager after returning from sleep on the P52 (running hybrid graphics, and with P2000 as well as P3200 on two separate machines, both of which exhibit the symptom), it does seem to be unique to the P52 (and perhaps other similar latest generation machines) and not universal to include the older P70 (at least running with discrete graphics).

I'm about to update BIOS on my P70 to 2.30, although the HDMI audio issue was already corrected by nVidia's 430.39.

SeniorGuru
Views: 709
Message 90 of 91

I've now done my own further experiments regarding this additionally reported (by @chrisday) symptom related to the laptop screen being "blank".  My setup is P70 with latest BIOS 2.30 and latest retail nVidia driver 430.86.  I normally don't have any need or desire to run in "extended desktop" mode, but for the sake of this topic I've now performed much research.

I've tried using both HDMI->HDMI cables as well as miniDP->HDMI cables to connect the laptop directly to external displays. And the external displays I've tried are (a) LG HDTV, supporting digital HDMI audio, (b) Eizo HD2441W monitor, supporting digital HDMI audio, and (c) Eizo CG318-4K monitor, NOT SUPPORTING digital HDMI audio.

I can now report that my experimental findings show that it doesn't matter which type of cable is used, since both are capable of delivering digital HDMI audio to a device capable of receiving it.

However it does now seem true that if the external display does support digital HDMI audio, like (a) and (b), that it is IMPOSSIBLE TO ACTIVATE THE LAPTOP SCREEN IN NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL ("configure multiple displays)". In this situation the first line shown that identifies the laptop screen DOES NOT CONTAIN "#1" AS IT SHOULD, and the checkbox next to that line CANNOT BE CHECKED.  Only the second line which identifies the external display as #2 is usable, and pre-checked (and which cannot be un-checked since at least one monitor must be active).

So since the two screens cannot both be "activated" with CHECKS, it is therefore impossible to run in "extended desktop" mode in Windows, since there's only one monitor active (i.e. the external monitor, #2).  The laptop screen is "blank" or "dark" or whatever you call it because it's actually NOT ACTIVE.  And it cannot be activated, because of this defect in the nVidia driver... when the external display also supports digital HDMI audio.

47_NVCP_430.86_1.3.38.16_2.30_Multiple-displays_discrete_LG_miniDP.jpg

27_NVCP_430.86_1.3.38.16_2.30_Physx_discrete_LG_miniDP.jpg

In contrast, if my (c) monitor is used (which does not contain speakers in it and thus DOES NOT suport digital HDMI audio, but instead forces the laptop's analog Realtek HD audio speakers), well now the laptop screen line DOES SHOW AS #1 IN NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL ("configure multiple displays") with a functioning checkbox to activate it.

And so now it IS POSSIBLE TO CHECK IT, and thus activate it along with the external display which is #2 and is also checked.  Thus we now have two displays active, and Windows can run in "extended desktop" mode, and hence the laptop screen is now being used.

47_NVCP_430.86_1.3.38.16_2.30_Multiple-displays_discrete_Eizo_miniDP.jpg

27_NVCP_430.86_1.3.38.16_2.30_Physx_discrete_Eizo_miniDP.jpg

One final note. In my experiments with (a) and (b), both of which imply the potential ability to send digital HDMI audio to the external display which has speakers and thus can support digital HDMI audio, even if I change Playback Devices to select the analog laptop Realtek HD Audio speakers for active sound, this changes nothing as far as being able to check the laptop screen or not.

In other words the #1 does not suddenly appear and the checkbox become functional just because I'm not actually currently using digital HDMI audio. It appears that because of whatever the bug is (in the nVidia driver, most likely?) that is causing all of this, the mere fact that the external display HAS THE POTENTIAL ABILITY TO RECEIVE DIGITAL HDMI AUDIO is what is preventing the #1 from appearing and preventing the checkbox on that line from being used.  It is what is thus forcing ONLY the use of the external display that potentially supports HDMI, while simultaneously preventing use of the laptop screen for "extended desktop" mode for Windows.

I observe that Lenovo-provided driver package N1CDH75W contains nVidia driver 388.75, so that's older than my own believed critical last-working 392.00 "retail" nVidia-provided driver.  Also, N1CDH78W contains 389.08, which is still older than 392.00. So in my opinion both of these older drivers should still be working perfectly, by which I mean (a) NEVER loses HDMI audio, and (b) supports using the laptop screen along with any external display that supports HDMi audio, in "extended desktop" mode.

I believe it is not until N1CDH79W which is the first Lenovo-provided driver which contains nVidia driver 398.36, i.e. newer than 392.00, that we first now begin to see the "breakage" of everything, including loss of HDMI audio as well as loss of the laptop screen when an external display is also being used that supports HDMI audio.

And with the release of nVidia-provided 430.39 we see the "fix" of the symptom regarding loss of HDM iaudio. However there appears to still be a related "loss of HDMI audio after returning from long periods of sleep" now being reported for P52/P72 even in "hybrid graphics" and using driver versions 430.39 and newer.  There is no original primary loss of HDMi audio for P52/P72 before going to sleep, but after coming out of long sleep periods there IS a "loss of HDMI audio device in Device Manager"... even with latest nVidia drivers.

And now it is determined that WITH ALL DRIVERS NEWER THAN 392.00, including the latest 430.39 and newer, there is the absolute permanent loss of the use of the laptop screen whenever an external monitor that supports potentially receiving digital HDMI audio is connected (regardless of whether or not HDMI audio is actually in effect).

Note that the symptom story for the P70 involves "discrete graphics". The nVidia GPU is supposed to handle all external displays even with "hybrid graphics" in effect.   But for "discrete graphics" the nVidia GPU also has responsibility for the laptop screen, if the laptop screen is being used (either by itself or along with an external display). So there is clearly some bug in the nVidia drivers newer than 392.00 which still is no longer compatible with the Lenovo BIOS support for 'discrete graphics", no matter what the Lenovo engineers believe they have "fixed" in 2.30 and even with drivers 430.39 and newer.

The "loss of HDMI audio" symptom may have been fixed by nVidia in 430.39, even though they claimed they didn't break anything after 392.00 but it miraculously "cured" in 430.39 EVEN WITHOUT APPLYING LENOVO'S BIOS 2.30 FIX!!  To me it is obvious the original breakage (say with 398.36) came from something nVidia did, and the "fix" in 430.39 also came from nVidia... and had nothing to do with Lenovo fixing the BIOS. Sure, it involved "discrete graphics" in the BIOS, but everything had always worked perfectly for the past few years, right up to driver 392.00.  It was only with the drivers newer than 392.00 that we now see some "incompatibility" with "discrete graphics" in the P70 BIOS.

But it's now also clear for absolute sure that the nVidia-caused "breakage" (i.e. exposed incompatibility with "discrete graphics" in the P70 BIOS) affects not only HDMI audio, but also even the basic possibility of using the laptop screen at all under the control of the nVidia GPU while it is also simultaneously handling an external display that potentially could have supported digital HDMI audio.

In other words with ALL drivers newer than 392.00 it is no longer possible to use the laptop screen at the same time as an external display that supports HDMI audio.

==> If you want continued "normal" operation, like it was starting in 2016, for both (a) HDMI audio, and (b) laptop screen alongside external display, running in "extended desktop" mode, YOU MUST USE A DRIVER 392.00 OR OLDER!!!

DO NOT UPDATE BEYOND 392.00, are my words of advice.  Maybe nVidia and/or Lenovo will someday truly figure out what nVidia broke that impacts what Lenvoo has for "discrete graphics" in the P70 that is now incompatible and which disallows simultaneous use of the laptop screen and an external display which supports HDMI audio, and fix it... but for now, forget about it.

Just use 392.00 or older, and sleep well.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors