cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaronloes_at_tv
Paper Tape
Views: 467
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Docking Station Problems (W series)

I have a W541 Thinkpad supplied by my employer and have had it for less than a year. Since day 1 i've been having issues with the docking station and I am finally fed up to the point of reaching out. Here are the following issues i have had.

• on occasion when docking and the laptop is on, it will power off (hard)
  • when redocking and power is on my secondary monitory will have random pixels "sparkle" white on the screen and then about every 5 minutes the secondary display will shut off for about 10 seconds. Only putting the laptop to sleep and back will fix it.
  • when docking (and regardless if power is off or on) one of either the laptops main display or my secondary monitor will not work. Sometimes redocking about 20 times will bring it back, sometimes not. Sometimes restarting the machine will work, and sometimes it will not.
  • when docked, i have a MS wireless keyboard and mouse plugged into the dock. on occassion, they will loose connection with the computer. Unplugging the dongle and plugging it back in will resume operation but it will eventually cut out again. Only moving the dongle to a usb port on the laptop itself will resolve the issue. This is not a good solution as the dongle is not low profile.

I recieved this laptop with windows 7 and have since upgraded to windows 10. These issues were happening on both versions of windows. No other modifications were made to the machine or its base software.

Please help as i'm frustrated to the point that I'm about to return this machine for a refund and pick up a new laptop from a different company.

jollywombat
Punch Card
Views: 448
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Docking Station Problems (W series)

Your employer is going to let you return their supplied laptop for a refund or replacement from another brand for a unit that I am guessing you have used for more than half a year? o.0

On topic, Do you have any issues with the laptop itself when it is undocked?  From the sounds of it all problems appear to be docking related, so assuming the dock connector/port is free of all detrius that might cause issues, would suggest using the warranty to replace the dock as that certainly sounds to be the focal point of all your issues.

aaronloes_at_tv
Paper Tape
Views: 444
Message 3 of 4

knew someone was going to comment on that Smiley Happy its a startup. we manage our own computers but the company pays for them and owns the product and the warrenty. The point was to show that the request is coming on the behalf of a business entity that will be providing repeat business but that I have the administrative "privilege" of dealing with the problem myself.

but yes, the problems are only with the dock. off the dock, the computer runs as well as expected. we supposedly have another dock in the office. i'll be trying that to determine if its just a defective docking station. Posting was research to see if this was a known issue and if solutions have been identified.

jollywombat
Punch Card
Views: 407
Message 4 of 4

Ahh, makes sense then for a startup.

Make sure the docks are ment for this model as well FYI, at a previous company some older docks were floating around that were not certified for the newer T series laptops and caused issues, but would technically work overall.  Hope you get it resolved!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors