Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blue_screen
Paper Tape
Views: 892
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Fingerprint Manager Pro update (2018-01) REMOVES Userinfo.dll file

Just used Thinkvantage Update and Drivers tool to install the update referenced above.

• When I restarted after installation, Windows gave an error message (not a "blue-screen" stop) that the USERINFO.DLL file could no longer be found.  This message appeared twice during each startup.
  • I have therefore restored my system to its last backup state -- from about two weeks ago -- and the message from the operating system no longer appears.

For the present, I have disabled/hidden this update (even though it is listed as "critical").

If someone at Lenovo could respond to this message, I would like to know how to install this "critical" update without disrupting my (Win 7 64-bit) operating system.

Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 835
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Fingerprint Manager Pro update (2018-01) REMOVES Userinfo.dll file

I have installed that critical update on several ThinkPads here, and have not seen that error.  Also, there is not any userinfo.dll file on my ThinkPads, either before or after the critical update.  Where does this file exist on your PC?  What are the properties of it?  Any idea where it came from?

blue_screen
Paper Tape
Views: 820
Message 3 of 6

Interesting ... 

• A few minutes ago I navigated to the C: directory and looked for the DLL file using the Windows search box-- could not find it either.  (Perhaps I remembered the filename incorrectly -- I should have written it down when I received that warning (duh).)
  • At any rate, I then used the *INFO.DLL wildcard in the search box, The search did return SYSTEMINFO.DLL as one of the files found.

Location:   C:\Program files (x86)\intel\intel (r) update manager\bin

Any chance the update software may have corrupted that?

1. In either case, I would like to know why Windows (7; sp1; 64) reported either USERINFO.DLL OR SYSTEMINFO.DLL missing or corrupt (rectangular information box) during the startup sequence ... and, of course, why this message no longer appeared after I restored my system to a pre-update state.

2. Anyhow, I do not think unhiding the installation package in Lenovo Update and Drivers is a good idea until I get more/better information on this issue.  (It is my understanding that the most recent Lenovo BIOS update -- marked "critical" -- corrected any existing Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities for my processor, an Intel (r) i7-4800MQ.

3. I wonder if you could also tell me what else was "critical" to patch in January/February of 2018 -- especially having to do with the fingerprint manager. Is the fingerprint processor also vulnerable to these vulnerabilities? If so, OMG how stupid.

Any information you could provide on any of these factors (or all!) would of course be appreciated ... 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 807
Message 4 of 6

The critical update about fingerprint is for this issue:  https://support.lenovo.com/ch/en/solutions/len-15999

But I still have no idea about the error message you saw.  If you want to try the update again, get a screenshot of the error message and I'll help find what the problem is.

blue_screen
Paper Tape
Views: 803
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the swift response.

I read the bulletin.

Unless I am mistaken about the nature of "local nonadministrative access," Nobody EVER has such access to this system except me -- that is, I have a power-on system board password set, and scanning my fingerprint or keying my system password (not my Windows password) is the only gateway to starting the system and making Windows accessible.

I am the sole user and Administrator of this system, and there are no Guest users, password protected or otherwise.

Am I mistaken about the definition?  About alternative ways to acquire local access? If so, I'll consider implementing the update (again). Otherwise, I think I'll leave the system in its current status.

Please advise ... 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 796
Message 6 of 6

It is not just about other users.  "Local non-administrative access" could also include malware or a virus running in your user account.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors