Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zaiby
What's DOS?
Views: 518
Message 11 of 21

Re: Lenovo P1 Slow and freezing?

Same thing happening to my P1 with and without thunderbolt dock.

Everything updated, BIOS, drivers, windows...

Anaphken
Paper Tape
Views: 444
Message 12 of 21

I just started to have a similar issue as I move to a new office and I am using my P1 kid closed with two external monitors.

I didn’t notice at first as I also upgraded my memory from 16 to 32Gb and accuse it to be the issue.

turn out it may not be the memory but just the fact that the P1 doesn’t cool down properly when the lid is closed. 

I’m down to 16Go waiting for a replacement memory from Lenovo and gave it a try.

lid closed I was able to recreate the slowdown when using intensive CAD sand rendering.

teied again lid open and it is all good.

except I have to deal with 3 screens now and I don’t have room for the laptop on my desk

R32PAT
Paper Tape
Views: 390
Message 13 of 21

Last week i finally bit the bullet and wiped the machine to do a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro (Build 1903).

Then downloaded Lenovo System Update and let it install all the drivers for the hardware.

Since completing that the random freezing is gone, The cooling fans that used to ramp up all the time even when i was doing mundane tasks seems to have reduced dramatically.

All in all i would say this has completely resolved my issues!!

I too use my P1 primarily lid closed on dock with 3 monitors and had considered the heat factor but as i said above it all seems fixed now.

There must be something funky with the factory image perhaps thats making these machines run like crap occasionally.

Thought i would share my succsess with you all!

Cheers

Anaphken
Paper Tape
Views: 379
Message 14 of 21

Thanks @R32PAT.
I also considered to wipe out the laptop but I just have too much work and not enough time to make it happen just now!
Although fixing the issue will make me save a lot of precious time.
Did you reinstall from the Lenovo ghost partition?
What are your specs?
Mine is P1, Intel Core i7-8750H (2.20GHz, 9MB), 15.6 1920x1080, Windows 10 Pro 64, 16.0GB, 1x512GB SSD PCIe, NVIDIA P1000. Waiting for the second 16.0GB identical to the pre-install one. The two Samsung I received didn’t work Made the freeze even work and the laptop unusable as well as were super hot were I took them off after less that 10min of use
R32PAT
Paper Tape
Views: 328
Message 15 of 21

Hey @Anaphken

I didnt use the ghost partition at all i just got a fresh windows 10 pro 64 install from microsoft using their Bootable USB tool.

So i no longer have the factory image or partition at all. No big deal as far as licence keys for windows goes as thats stored UEFI/BIOS now i believe.

As for the specs of mine they are

P1, Intel Core i7-8850H ( 2.6-Ghz, 9Mb)

Windows 10 Pro 64

16GB (2x 8Gb DDR4 Sticks)

1x256Gb SSD PCIe & i added a Samsung 860 Evo 2TB SSD into slot 2.

NVIDIA P2000 4Gb

zaiby
What's DOS?
Views: 317
Message 16 of 21

KarthikSrini
What's DOS?
Views: 266
Message 10 of 16

‎07-01-2019 12:30 PM

I can confirm that when I got my P1 it was lagging a lot. I got the one with 4K screen. I searched a lot on the net, and figured out that intel uhh 630 integrated graphics card is unable to handle 4K. This is terrible especially when you open task view (Win + tab). Sometimes the windows just froze and I had to sit a while to resume things. 

So to fix this, I went to BIOS, under configuration, went to display and chose: ‘Discrete’ for the Graphics option (assuming you have dedicated graphics memory available). It was set to ‘Hybrid’ by default. And voila, after this I haven’t noticed a single lag or stutter on P1. This is by far one the best    Thinkpads I’ve ever used. Hope this helps. 

Well this fixed my issue as well, but now I guess it'll just use more power on battery?

KarthikSrini
What's DOS?
Views: 271
Message 17 of 21

Actually yes and not really according to my observation with my P1. 

Yes -as using Nvidia over integrated graphics certainly drains battery quicker.

not really - when laptop is running on battery power, I observed it runs on a lower clock speed. It never ran past 3 ghz mark. 

When I checked the bios configuration, I came across the intel’s smart sense and thermal options under  ‘Power’ settings are set to ‘Balanced’ in Battery mode. and are set to ‘Maximum Performance’ in AC mode. 

So generally my P1 does run warm and drains power and battery, but haven’t noticed that big of a difference when switched to dedicated graphics.

Anaphken
Paper Tape
Views: 262
Message 18 of 21

I quickly adjust my BIOS setting to Nvidia only and Yes it does make a big difference. I haven’t solicited my computer the same way (not using the same software such as autoCAD, AGI32, Sketchup or Stemotion lately) but I can definitely say that I haven’t experiment 1!freeze since then.

actually one situation in CAD but most likely due to my CAD settings that I need to find out.

may not go through the swipe out just now!

where did you get the USB tool for windows 10? I only find for windows 7

thanks

Anaphken
Paper Tape
Views: 204
Message 19 of 21

Alright - I thought I will share an update.

So updating the BIOS to GPU only really helps.

I now have the 2x16Gb memory and I experience some shutdown yesterday.

I'm monitoring the temp in the body and I realized, that the CPU is Throttled pretty much each time I'm starting a new calculation. no matter how big!

this is disappointing.....

WOuld it be the same on a Desktop? Does Desktop does Throttling as well?

Anaphken
Paper Tape
Views: 193
Message 20 of 21

Ah ah! They change the P1 3nd generation for 16GB memory only.https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p/P1-Gen-2/p/22WS2WPP102?CID=ca:email:sidxum&...
that is probably where my heat issue comes from 32Gb

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors