cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Krbalitz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,506
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo P50 - HDMI External Monitor Not Working After Sleep (My Other Laptop of the Same Kind does)

Hello I have been fighting issues with my external monitor not turning back on after sleep. I have it set to hybrid mode, I understand the other fix is to set it to discrete mode but my other laptop of the same type does wake up after moving the mouse in hybrid mode. I tried multiple things. 1.) Updated Intel Management Drivers and Software 2.) Updated Thunderbolt Software 3.) Used Graphic Driver Uninstaller and to no avail.  I also installed every update for Windows 10 on their web site. The other fix is to enable and disable the NVIDIA driver in the and that wakes up the HDMI port it seems, but that should not be the case, I would like it to just turn on with the flick of the mouse or button like my other laptop. Is it a failing graphic card of Nvidia or Intels end? I do notice after the monitor sleeps the NVIDIA drivers control panel settings go missing. I already uninstalled completely and reinstalled the drivers but my computer is still having this problem. Are their any suggestions on Lenovo's end or fixes? I bought this laptop from Amazon and I also joined a 3 year support service from them.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,495
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo P50 - HDMI External Monitor Not Working After Sleep (My Other Laptop of the Same Kind doe

• Have you compared the Power Option settings on the two laptops to see if they match as well?
  • Do the two systems share the same monitor, and if not, how is your monitor configured, does it have an option to set the input source to HDMI vs. automatically detecting the source?
  • When in the mode where the screen does not turn back on, what happens if you press the following key combination Windows Key + Shift + Ctrl + (forces a reset of graphics cards) do you hear a beep and your screen wake up?     That key combination sometimes works to wake the monitors, and while not a solution, it may be a work around until you find a permanent one.

Best of luck,

Krbalitz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,472
Message 3 of 6

Re: Lenovo P50 - HDMI External Monitor Not Working After Sleep (My Other Laptop of the Same Kind doe

Hello thank you for the quick reply. For the first one, yes the power options are similar, I defaulted everything in balanced mode. I also tested the same display monitor with the other, so the hdmi and monitor are not the issue.

And I am not sure about the second question, I think it automatically detects or should, as they both have the same Thunderbolt software and firm ware installed. Right now I will try your last option. I am going to try DDU one more time and I did not realize I could also uninstall the intel drivers so I am on the verge of testing it out. Do you think it might be a hard ware issue or driver issue and should I contact lenovo and have them switch out the Nvidia card?

Krbalitz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,455
Message 4 of 6

Hello forum I know a lot of people had this issue, I seemed to have fixed the problem. I decided to run Display Driver Uninstaller again, I noticed they had an option for Intel, so I completely removed that + all the NVIDIA drivers, so I installed the P50 Video Display drivers from the Lenovo site here: found under Display and graphics and the ThinkPad Video Features (NVIDIA N16S / Quadro N16P) https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

So completely uninstalling all intel and Nvidia hopefully is the fix. Thank you.

Krbalitz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,442
Message 5 of 6

I spoke too soon, still having issues. I waited an hour and the laptop hdmi port still refused to power on. Please lenovo fix this issue.

Krbalitz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,433
Message 6 of 6

These are the current drivers for my laptop

displaysettings.png

Top Kudoed Authors