cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilippeElie
Punch Card
Views: 1,175
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo P51 benchmark with Intel XTU - never getting more than 800 Marks ??

Hello all, I received my P51 one week ago, with Xeon 1535M, 16G SSD and 4K display. I just tried to run Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to learn more about the CPU internal tuning options and assess the performance of my system. 
Surprisingly, when running Intel XTU benchmark, the system has shown repeated current limit throttling, while showing very limited thermal throttling. Net result gets never above 800-820 Marks while I expected a much higher number (several thousands?) according to other threads here regarding P51 thermal throttling issues. 

I ran the benchmark in the following conditions : AC power, BIOS set with SpeedStep and max performance enabled, windows power profile on max perforamce, I disabled kaspresky antivirus just in case, grapchics in discrete mode (ie. Nvidia enabled as default). 
below the screenshot of XTU : 

[URL=https://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=556305P51IntelXTU.jpg][IMG]https://img15.hostingpics....

I would appreciate your thoughts there : are all those numbers normal (800 Marks for such a system) ? did I miss something regarding my system setup to ensure it's working at ful throttle ? I would like t oavoid returning it to Lenovo if it appears something is wrong with my CPU. 
Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Philippe

Guru
Views: 1,117
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo P51 benchmark with Intel XTU - never getting more than 800 Marks ??

It does seem a little low. Can you see if Lenovo Cool Mode is enabled (somewhere in Lenovo's settings program I think)?

A lot of the overclocked profiles on HWBOT seem to increase Turbo Boost Power Max to prevent the current limit throttling as seen on your screenshot.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
PhilippeElie
Punch Card
Views: 1,082
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your feedback Colonel. I could not find any CoolMode feature in the BIOS but I did play with several parms in Intel XTU including Turbo Boost Power Max, Max ICC etc. Never could go above 820 Marks, even if I tried to disable the anti virus - we never know - and changed the BIOS Intel SpeedStep settings, put power mode to max performance, ran the test on AC power, etc. Interestingly I ran XTU on my Mac Pro mid 2009 (Xeon 2.6 GHz 4 cores) in Bootcamp windows 10 mode and got nearly 300 Marks, so I guess the 800 I am getting with my P51 are OK, but looking that some folks get 1000-1100, I have no clue as to how to achieve  that....Anyway, no big deal as I am happy overalll with my P51, but I really would like to figure out where this gap comes from.....

Cheers, Philippe

Guru
Views: 1,056
Message 4 of 7

Hi PhilippeElie,

Cool mode is not in BIOS; its in Lenovo Vantage under hardware settings.  Then Intelligent Cooling.  Set it to high performance and turn off intelligent cooling.  Otherwise it will "intelligentlly" switch between high performance and cool mode.  You will have to decide whats right for your use scenario.

hard.JPGcooling.JPG

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

PhilippeElie
Punch Card
Views: 1,051
Message 5 of 7

thanks. Actually I already set those parameters as you mentioned. I tried to turn intelligent fan on and back off, but I still get around 800 Marks. .. weird. I did try to play with current thresholds in XTU but the best I could get was around 820, so no big deal. May be I got a lazy Xeon 1535M-V6 ?? 

Guru
Views: 1,040
Message 6 of 7

You turned intelligent cooling off and manually switched to high performance?  I noticed on my TP25 if intelligent cooling was on the processor throttled anytime there was movement or on my lap.  It only stayed on high performance if it was on a desk.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

PhilippeElie
Punch Card
Views: 999
Message 7 of 7

thanks for your feedback. yes, intelligent cooling is off/high perf, PC is on my desk on AC. Even after tuning the XTU parms, especially to prevent current throttling, and using some profiles gathered on the web that alowed similarly configured P51 to achieve around 1100 marks, max I could get was 825... Interestingly, I ran PCMark7 and compared the results on those documented in the P51 review by notebookcheck.com : I got 5700 vs 6400, a ratio similar the gap in the XTU Mark results.
I noticed something that may be worth investigating : in the notebookcheck review, some CPU-Z screenshots are included, I did not notice any discrepancy withe what I am getting (despite the CPU is a 1505) but the SPD timing values are different, timings look longer for my config,despite the CPU and memory have higher clock rates

Notebookcheck results (Xeon 1505 CPU, DDR4-2400 RAM) :

CaptureNBC.JPG

my config (XEon 1535 CPU, DDR4-2666 RAM) :

Capture1.JPG 

Woudl that explain the difference ? Since I do not think the SPD values can be modified, there is probably nothing to do about it then.

thanks in advance for your thoughts..
Philippe

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors