cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Philip90
Paper Tape
Views: 2,575
Message 101 of 120

Re: Lenovo P52 bricked by selecting BIOS thunderbolt support for Linux as suggested in the BIOS help

Hi bro,

Do you using virtual machine like hyper-v or vmware. Due to user guide of p52, the setting for intel vt-x and vt-d are disable. So we need to enable them. Is those option enable on your bios.

Thank for your help.Screenshot_20181207-212326_Samsung Internet.jpg

RayCH
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,222
Message 102 of 120

Re: Lenovo P52 bricked by selecting BIOS thunderbolt support for Linux as suggested in the BIOS help

Hi All,

After waiting over one month, lenovo told me I can take my p52 back by the end of this week. Because I already bought a new laptop, I don’t mind to wait for a month again. Therefore, I would like to perform the experiment on this “refurbished” p52. Here is my plan:

1. Update the bios version to 1.17 or the latest one.

2.Change the graphics setting from hybrid to discrete in bios.

3.Enable bios support for thunderbolt.

I will go to live streaming and record every step. 

Hope my p52 will not be bricked again.

Philip90
Paper Tape
Views: 2,195
Message 103 of 120

Hi hero,

I cannot even think that lenovo would make us( customers) to test product for them with very long time waiting to repair. 

You are the star of all p52 users. Hope your streaming.

OmbreDuZ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,075
Message 104 of 120

I am still waiting for my repair... 6 weeks and counting. I think BIOS 1.17 should solve both issues. Thunderbolt should have been OK from 1.15 and discrete graphics should be fine now with 1.17. But still, looking at how things were handled during the past 3 months, I would not like to be the beta tester. Again, a statement by Lenovo would be greatly appreciated. I mean, if BIOS 1.17 was not solving the problem, they should know it by now. They should at least notice the difference in the number of bricked P52 cases.

Philip90
Paper Tape
Views: 2,071
Message 105 of 120

Maybe they see this problem as "features". I will get my p52 soon, but i just need enable Intel Virtualization.

can anyone share experience about update bios through windows? Does it need some config or load default setting in bios beforehand?

Due to many complaints, now event update bios would scare me. >…<

zf2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,834
Message 106 of 120

Hi hero,

You really are a hero - thanks for offering to test those BIOS settings!

I have just received my new P52 and will update the BIOS to the latest version, but still too scared to change those settings and risk bricking it. Let us know when you are streaming!

Thanks

RayCH
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,782
Message 107 of 120

Hi All,

I'm in the lenovo repairing center now and just got my "refurbished" p52.

An idea comes to my mind: why not to perform my experiment here?

There you go.

1.The mainboard is replaced and updated to bios 1.17 by the technician.

2.Change graphics from hybrid to discrete, restart the computer-> boot and enter win10 sucessfully.

3.Change "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode" to ENABLE and "Support in Pre Boot Enviornment" to ENABLE->boot and enter to win10 sucessfully.

Well, hope no more bricked p52 after updating bios to 1.17.

And hope this is my last time to visit to lenovo repairing center.

WikiSteve
Serial Port
Views: 1,711
Message 108 of 120

That's awesome.  Now I look forward to 1.17 coming to the P1 ThinkPad!

OmbreDuZ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,644
Message 109 of 120

@RayCH: Thanks a lot for posting. Finally this story is behind us. Lesson learned.

Highlighted
beauja
What's DOS?
Views: 1,466
Message 110 of 120

I have written the key strokes needed to enable/disable hybrid graphics mode below if you have a black screen but not a bricked motherboard.

Note: You may need to spam F1 to get you into the BIOS menu however this may result in the opening of the BIOS instructions help menu which is mapped to F1. To guarantee you start at the main tab of the BIOS menu, I recommend spamming F1 on startup, press esc twice to take you to the restart tab of the BIOS menu and then hit the right arrow once. After performing this, enter the key strokes below.

Key strokes:

right down down down enter enter down enter F10 enter 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors