cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ernstm1
What's DOS?
Views: 8,984
Message 1 of 111

Lenovo P52 bricked by selecting BIOS thunderbolt support for Linux as suggested in the BIOS help!

Relying on the information on the Lenovo website listing "Ubuntu" and "Redhat certified" under "Operating Systems", I chose a Lenovo P52. The device arrived, and I opened BIOS settings to prepare for the Linux installation I had planned. After changing some settings, I chose "change settings and reboot", and the device entered a nonresponsive state: Screen black with the exception of a single white pixel in the left upper edge of the screen. After about 30 minutes, I tried a re-boot; again, the screen stayed black. No Lenovo logo appeared, clicking F1 (or any other function key) did not lead into the BIOS settings. Customer support told me this was a technical defect, and I sent the device back to the dealer.

A week later, the new Lenovo P52 arrived.  This time, trying to set up the BIOS for Linux installation, I always changed but a single setting and chose the "Save and Reboot" option. Things went fine until I chose to "Enable" the "BIOS support for Thunderbolt", a setting suggested by the BIOS help appearing on the right quarter of the BIOS setttings screen for installation of Windows 10 before a certain patch level and for installation of Linux. An Info Box popped op, saying the resetting with take "up to 15 seconds" with this option enabled.  The "Save and Reboot" led to a bricked device, again: Black screen, nothing happened for 45 minutes. A reboot again failed to have the Lenovo logo appear, no reaction on keys F1 to F12, no way to enter BIOS setup, let alone start an operating system. 

In my humble opinion, I came across a major software bug in the BIOS setting. This was my first Lenove experience, and I'm sad to say it is my last: This is a high-end device, and I'm very surprised it comes with a bug like this: Following the suggestion given in the BIOS help text leads to a bricked notebook. Having spent hours in vain, I'll buy a notebook with Linux pre-installed

Best wishes, 

Ernst

mashley
Paper Tape
Views: 8,895
Message 2 of 111

Re: Lenovo P52 bricked by selecting BIOS thunderbolt support for Linux as suggested in the BIOS help

I literally just did this exact same thing. I switched the bios around to legacy boot mode, installed Ubuntu 18.04 no problem. When trying to actually login it just presented me with a purple screen but didn't actually load anything. I knew that there might be something fishy with linux and usb-c/thunderbolt. I jumped back in the bios and noticed this setting so I tried turned it on. It told me it would take about 15 seconds. After about 10 minutes, I turned the machine off and back on and now it's hung. Blank screen doesn't respond to anything. 

Did you ever figure out a way to get back to the bios?

ErnstM
Paper Tape
Views: 8,855
Message 3 of 111

Re: Lenovo P52 bricked by selecting BIOS thunderbolt support for Linux as suggested in the BIOS help

Sadly enough, while I tried each and any suggestion kindly provided in this forum, I have not been successful and failed to arrive at the BIOS settings after switching "BIOS support for Thunderbolt" to "Enabled". Instead, I have sent back the device. With my first Lenovo P52, I had made a number of changes in the BIOS before re-booting. With the device I have kindly been supplied with by the company I had bought the machine, under the suspicion of a singular technical defect, I proceeded more cautiously: In each step, I have changed but a single setting in the BIOS and did a "Save Changes and Reboot" afterwards. It is by this procedure that I am positive in assigning the cause of the catastrophe to the BIOS setting mentioned above. IMHO, this is a major BIOS software fault, and Lenovo should fix it ASAP. I have sent my second P52 back to the seller and hope for a full refund. After all, the device does not live up to its specifications. Too bad, I'll most probably stay away from Lenovo notebooks in the foreseeable future. If I would have postponed the BIOS setting, I might have gone beyond the return-for-refund-without-questions-asked period.

Best wishes, 

Ernst

c3-p0
What's DOS?
Views: 8,793
Message 4 of 111

To be honest, i dont believe its per se a lenovo problem or of that specific model.

i heard about hp desktop pc users with similar experiences.

Of course its lenovos fault to not test it properly on their end, but i think the source of that is intel - wouldnt be the first time they screwed up, as we all know.

non the less, this should be pinned and send to their tech department for further investigation

agoossens
What's DOS?
Views: 8,763
Message 5 of 111

I have the same issue. Enabled thunderbolt bios assist mode and now my P52 is bricked. Lenovo support (Netherlands) said they weren't aware of this issue but will replace my motherboard. They also mentioned that a bios update will be released today that "might" fix the issue.
ErnstM
Paper Tape
Views: 8,739
Message 6 of 111

I'm sorry additional customers have been affected by this issue. Frankly, I'm quite dissatisfied about the BIOS help text leading Linux users into a device-bricking bug in one of the most advanced (and expensive) notebooks Lenovo offers. It would be good news if a BIOS update became available that fixes the bug, but alas, I'm not prepared to be a beta tester on a device you would not normally call cheap. I have been unlucky enough to unintentionally brick two Lenovo P52 devices, ímposing work load and transportation costs on the online shop and wasting quite a bit of my time. Hey, I'm a customer, not an employee at Lenovo's. I chose to give up on the P52 and ordered a P51, hoping that the problem we have come across does not affect the older model. If it does, I'd be really fed up. I learned the specific BIOS option is not available in the older model ;-)

mjoehren
What's DOS?
Views: 8,655
Message 7 of 111

Same here. I cannot believe it.. I ran into this after I successfully installed a centos 7 with the 4.18 kernel and some tweaks to get the Touchpad working again. Unfortunately the hibernate and suspend was not working, screen stayed black after opening the lid. Tried a couple of things and finally went again through the bios, stumbled over the thunderbolt setting and saw the help text. Set it like the help text suggested and afterwards the machine is not coming up again. I can only open the boot selection screen, bios is black and the Lenovo logo is also not visible anymore.
jetownsend
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,626
Message 8 of 111

GAH.  Why didn't I find this thread with all my "thunderbolt lenovo display" searches?

I also have a shiny new brick on my desk.

I have 3 years of Onsite Support (best $109 I spent this year), but since it's less than 30 days since my purchase they are going to hot-swap me a new laptop.

Also good news:  the SSD is considered a "user servicable part" so I can just swap hard drives and sent the brick back with a new drive and not my personal data.

jetownsend
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,590
Message 9 of 111

Also, can anyone find out the release version of the BIOS that has a problem?  I want to compre my replacement's version.

jetownsend
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,580
Message 10 of 111

As far as I could tell, I had all the updates applied as of this morning, 24 Sep.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors