cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeCanada
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,569
Message 91 of 111

Re: Lenovo P52 bricked by selecting BIOS thunderbolt support for Linux as suggested in the BIOS help

This happened to me with my brand new X1 Extreme.  Changed the BIOS setting to Discrete graphics and now have the black screen.

Could someone with a working X1 Extreme post the blind instructions to change the BIOS setting back to Hybrid?  Such as right, left, enter, down, or whatever like that.

MasterCore
Paper Tape
Views: 1,523
Message 92 of 111

Re: Lenovo P52 bricked by selecting BIOS thunderbolt support for Linux as suggested in the BIOS help

I upgraded to the BIOS 1.17 without any problem. Didn't changed the settings for the Thunderbolt or discrete.
The system is stable and pretty powerful with a M.2.

I did a GPU stress test with the Hybrid mode. This is not that bad, when the GPU need more power, the quadro kick in.

I put the power state for the intel to maximum power (balanced by default). It kindly use both of them at the same time.

Michael405
Paper Tape
Views: 1,391
Message 93 of 111

I was one of the ones whose laptop (T580) was bricked after enabling "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode".

My new laptop arrived last week, 1 month after the first laptop.

Given that there's two different ways to brick your laptop ("Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode" and "Discrete Graphics") - both of which occur by simplying toggling an option in the BIOS - I'm afraid of changing any settings in the BIOS.

jetownsend
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,372
Message 94 of 111

[edit: On my P52] I've used Discreet Graphics with no problems but I refuse to touch any of the Thunderbolt settings.  Now that I have a Dell monitor I can just use the Display connector like a normal PC.

peos
What's DOS?
Views: 1,271
Message 95 of 111

I always read that it worked to enable discrete graphics before a certain BIOS update. But then Lenovo broke something.

Did anyone try to enable Discrete Graphics on 1.17 for the first time and post his/her experience?

WikiSteve
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 899
Message 96 of 111

Just adding to the stack.  I got my P1 (20MD machine type) and went about adjusting everything in BIOS for Linux and bricked the whole thing in less than an hour. 

starbird70
Paper Tape
Views: 884
Message 97 of 111

I got my P52 back from the repair depot. It came with 1.17 BIOS installed. Changed the grpahics setting to discreet, and was able to install linux ok. Windows won't activate, apparenlty because the laptop has a new screen and mainboard.

I'm not chanigng the thunderbolt settings. There are a number of bios settings I would play around with, but not if there is a chance with bricking it again and another months wait for a repair.

Philip90
Paper Tape
Views: 737
Message 98 of 111

Hi bro, can you try the setting switch fn key and ctrl key in bios, also with f1-f12 can directly hit no need to hold fn key(sorry i dont know how to call that bios setting) because it very useful when i can directly hit f5(refresh on the desktop) no need extra hit fn.

Please help me out these setting safe to edit. I very afraid of black screen issue. Due to my laptop ship from usa to my country. So i can't send to warranty if something went wrong.

Thanks bro!

OmbreDuZ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 651
Message 99 of 111

At that point, can we get a statement by Lenovo? I mean, BIOS 1.17 is supposedly including fixes for Thunderbolt assist mode AND discrete graphics. Does it work now, with certitude? Because it is evident that no one in his own mind is going to try this to end up with P52 bricked again.... and probably months to wait for a repair.

ogjerstad
Paper Tape
Views: 612
Message 100 of 111

I got the motherboard replaced (I think). The BIOS version was back at 1.03 (or something similar), so I installed the latest (1.17), and then tried to change to discrete graphics again. No issues so far. Have not tried thunderbolt.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors