cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rvsjimbo
Paper Tape
Views: 3,298
Message 111 of 120

Re: Lenovo P52 bricked by selecting BIOS thunderbolt support for Linux as suggested in the BIOS help

Finally got back to my ship, after returning from leave to find the P52 back having had a motherboard swap. Interestingly it was still at BIOS version 1.04. Decided to continue in Windows until I had the time and motivation to look at downloading and installing the new BIOS V1.17, but then yesterday it automatically did it, so I'm looking forward to getting things the way I want them now :-)

Anyway, this is really just a warning that just because your system has had a motherboard swap, does NOT mean it has had the BIOS updated to the latest one whilst at Lenovo - even though, given whats happened, that would be the sensible thing to do...

Gandalforce
SCSI Port
Views: 2,973
Message 112 of 120

Re: Lenovo P52 bricked by selecting BIOS thunderbolt support for Linux as suggested in the BIOS help

X1 Extreme custom built.

I just enabled the “Support in Pre-Boot Enviroment” under Thunderbolt 3 settings.

this also soft bricks.

Already made eTicket.

im a doofus and this royally sucks.

AlbertoPatino
Paper Tape
Views: 2,964
Message 113 of 120

Took my P52 to local support in my country. According to them, waiting for a replacement part. They didn't mention to me what spare part they are going to replace...

ManuelStalder
Paper Tape
Views: 2,789
Message 114 of 120

There is another BIOS version (1.18): (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system will black screen in OS environment. I have installed it, but did not change anything in the bios....

cbed14
What's DOS?
Views: 2,570
Message 115 of 120

I have updated P52 to latest 1.18 BIOS and have successfully changed display from hybrid to discrete without bricking the devices. Machine is now up to date with all drivers from System update tool. However when booting the laptop while connected to Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Workstation dock the laptop will restart or power up to a Black screen initially and hang there for about 45 seconds before the Lenovo splash screen appears then Windows 10 loads. If I disconnect the dock the machine boots up to splash screen immediately. I have the most up to date dock firmware (V1.50_0921) and driver (thinkpad_thunderbolt3_dock_gen2_and_workstation_dock_driver_v10011) installed. If i change the display setting back to hybrid the restarts and power ups return to normal speed, no 45 second delay. Am I missing something?

Mr_Tang
What's DOS?
Views: 2,516
Message 116 of 120

I updated BIOS to 1.18 and changed display to discrete card and it boots normally too as cbed14' post.

lukatem
Paper Tape
Views: 2,290
Message 117 of 120

Hi all!

I received my P52 laptop with 128 GB RAM on 20 Dec. On 19 Dec BIOS 1.18 update was released.

So the BIOS was updated to 1.18, support for Thunderbolt enabled, switched to Discrete graphics,

BIOS boot diagnostics on, Virtualization support on.

Today Fedora 29 Workstation was installed.

Seems not to brick, finally... (otherwise I would use my right as a customer to send a BrickPad back to Lenovo for full refund).

Lenovo deifinetely has to apologize before all frustrated customers...

Hope to be satisfied with this purchase...

Thank you, the Community, for sharing this severe issue. Sad for those who experienced it Smiley Sad

Happy New Year!

Michael

Gandalforce
SCSI Port
Views: 2,056
Message 118 of 120

Is there 1.18 for X1?
Or only P52.

I have 1.17
njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 1,967
Message 119 of 120

wrote:
Is there 1.18 for X1?
Or only P52.

I have 1.17

X1E and P1 are on BIOS version 1.17.

wanderinguser
Fanfold Paper
Views: 703
Message 120 of 120

Same issue here.  Obviously bad QA testing on Lenovo's end but I understand mistakes happen.  However, it's been over a month since I sent my laptop for repair & they still don't have an ETA of when they'll have a motherboard for it!  Totally unacceptable for a top tier business class workstation to have support this poor especially for a problem Lenovo knew they had since mid last year!  What's really frustrating is I know I could've fixed it myself without a motherboard replacement by using an external programmer to flash the BIOS but I opted to send it in thinking I'd have it back in a week or so since it's covered under warranty.  Definitely should've spent the extra $300 & just bought the similarly spec'd Dell mobile workstation instead, lesson learned.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors