cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
balajiarun
What's DOS?
Views: 1,829
Message 21 of 120

Re: Lenovo P52 bricked by selecting BIOS thunderbolt support for Linux as suggested in the BIOS help

I got a P52 today and changed the graphics BIOS setting to "discrete". Now, my computer doesn't boot and shows a blank screen. Has anyone got a replacement and tested again?

I see there is a BIOS firmware update released few days ago, but I only started searching after the issue popped.

https://support.lenovo.com/bg/en/downloads/ds504024

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,812
Message 22 of 120

Re: Lenovo P52 bricked by selecting BIOS thunderbolt support for Linux as suggested in the BIOS help

Just got my P52 today.

I switched the graphics from hybrid to integrated in the BIOS and entered the familiar bricked state that everyone else has mentioned.

Like others, is there *anything* I can do to unbrick it?

jetownsend
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,803
Message 23 of 120

No, there's apparently nothing you can do to fix it.  My "brick" is in engineering and they have been unable to restore the BIOS or boot the system.  I think the problem is related to the security module and the entry point to the bug is Thunderbolt configuration setttings.

Michael405
Paper Tape
Views: 1,783
Message 24 of 120

So this exact issue just happened to me with a brand new ThinkPad T580. This is an AUD $2,500 computer, and simply changing a single BIOS option bricks the entire device. This is pretty poor.

didierw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,640
Message 25 of 120

Hi,

This bios brick ... is scandalous and Lenovo does nothing about it or what?

I was planning to buy a P1 (to dual boot between Linux and Windows) but after reading those BIOS brick issues all around the web, hearing from coil-whining, random freezes at boot etc etc .... it is really unacceptable .

You are expected to pay/invest around 3-5000 Euro/Dollars to get a buggy thinkpad P1  at that price tag? What are they thinking honestly, that is not what Lenovo stand for a few years ago.

I really like Thinkpad P1 specs, offering top hardware  ... that gets bricked by changing BIOS settings .... really, is that what you  are paying for?

The aston martin advertisement doesn't change anything, Seriously Lenovo fix those BIOS-es and do quality instead of quantity!

OmbreDuZ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,608
Message 26 of 120

I wish I had read this thread before unfortunately modifying this setting right before installing ubuntu in dual boot. I spent quite some time looking for potential issues, hardware and linux related, with the P52. Being pretty convinced with what I read, I bought one... and will probably not be able to use it at all for almost a month just because an option in the BIOS was obviously not even tested before release or new chip/hardware not tested with current BIOS release.

A very negative down point for Lenovo and the thinkpad brand. I have bought thinkpads for 20 years now with ZERO issue (my T20 from the early 2000 is still running) and I am quite disgusted with this happening to such a high price tag machine.

Finally, I would ask Lenovo to release a statement at one moment, explicitely guaranteeing that enabling Thunderbold assist in the BIOS is not harmful anymore. Otherwise we are stuck with a laptop unable to exploit such a great tech except from worth-nothing-except-for-Office-suite Windows.

leonderooij
Paper Tape
Views: 1,575
Message 27 of 120

Well, I have to say thank you guys. I have a P1 and was going through the bios recently, also before installing Linux and was tempted to change that particular setting. I did not do it as I have no thunderbolt devices, but am now really happy I didn't. I'm still on bios 1.12, hope a newer version will fix the issue!

jetownsend
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,558
Message 28 of 120

I received my replacement a couple of days ago and before doing anything else installed all the Lenovo updates/drivers.

I'm now at:

UEFI BIOS Version N2CET (1.14)

UEFI BIOS Date 2018-10-24

Embedded Controller Version N2CHT20W (1.10)

I'm not going to test the Thunderbolt settings -- I'm replacing my Apple monitor with a Dell 4K -- but it looks like something has changed in the past few days.

Michael405
Paper Tape
Views: 1,516
Message 29 of 120

Yes, it's pretty sub-standard when you think about how much you pay for the product.

As another negative, I spoke to two customer service representatives (I paid for "premier" support), and both were unaware of the issue (despite providing excellent support in general).

Michael405
Paper Tape
Views: 1,514
Message 30 of 120

I agree that a public statement from Lenovo would be appreciated. Just acknowledging the manufacturing error - even if there is no fix available - would go a long way in reassuring people that they're aware of the issue and are working to resolve it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors