Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davide3i
Punch Card
Views: 631
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo P71 - BIOS Update 1.25 and Factory NVMe SSD Issue

This morning I've updated the BIOS of my P71 workstation to version 1.25.
After that, the factory Lenovo NVMe SSD (LENSE20512GMSP34MEAT2TA) totally stopped working, while the Samsung one, where I previously had my O/S moved, is still flawlessy working.
My system can't even detect it and a BIOS downgrade to version 1.24 didn't solve the issue.
I had to remove said SSD so that the system could boot.

Is this a known issue?

This is the BIOS changelog. I'm pretty sure the highlighted feature wasted my SSD.

UEFI: 1.25 / ECP: 1.09
- [Important] Update includes a security fix.
- (New) Add NVMe L1 substate support.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system might not boot with Oculus device.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system may not unlock by TPM pin code.

UPDATE:
I've connected the SSD to another P71 workstation and it ain't working. So I can safely say the BIOS update damaged it.
I really hope anyone from Lenovo can do some tests (and reach me up), so that they can find the issue and stop other users to slip into this nasty situation. A couple of my colleagues have my same workstation and I told them to wait and don't update their BIOS.

Admin note: post edited to reflect the exact drive specification installed in the system from factory.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 481
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo P71 - BIOS Update 1.25 and Factory NVMe SSD Issue

Hello Davide3i, welcome to the Community,

Can't say that this is a known issue but am happy to try and reproduce it to see if we can find out what happened. I'd also like a little more information if you don't mind?
When it failed were you presented with an error code or was the system just totally unresponsive, how did you arrive at the conclusion that the drive was "dead"?

Could you also please post your full MTM, will look similar to 20HK0002IT, and also provide any information you can in regard to configuration changes you may have made to hardware or at the BIOS level prior to this happening.

Thanks

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Davide3i
Punch Card
Views: 445
Message 3 of 4

Hi Andy, thank you for your kind reply.

I'm attaching the error code I've got just after the BIOS update. As I can recall, error 2104 regards a hardware failure.

20181112_150306.jpg

I can tell my SSD is dead 'cause I've tried to connect it to a P71 workstation owned by a colleague of mine and it didn't even boot up.
Morever I switched my working SSD (a Samsung 960 Pro SSD), connecting it to the slot where the failed SSD was laying, and the system flawlessly booted up.
I didn't make any big BIOS modification, apart of enabling the Intel Virtualization feature.
My P71 has been shipped with 48 GB of RAM (16 + 32), the factory SSD (512 GB) and a Samsung 960 Pro (1 TB).
My MTM is: 20HK0002IX.

This morning the IBM/Lenovo technical support (I live in Italy) came to my office and replace the failed SSD with a new one.
The technician told me this is a known issue, 'cause it happened to a couple more of people, as far as they know.

Is Lenovo planning some kind of data recovery procedure for the failed SSDs? Unfortunately I just have a month-old backup of my data, so I've lost some of them.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 370
Message 4 of 4

Hi Davide3i,

If you still have the SSD I'm prepared to ask our engineers if they can help, but because of the nature of the exercise I'm not able to make any promises or guarantees. Assuming you still have the drive could you package it up and then send me the following information by private message. Don't make the package too small that it slips through the sorting belts; small box should be good 20x10x5cm ish should be OK

Full Name;
Collection Address:
Telephone No.;
email address;
Package dimensions:

Package weight:

Thanks

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors