Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vahid-dan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,178
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Thinkpad P1 Gen 2 and P53 Loud Fan Noise and Thermal Issue

Hi.

I bought a Thinkpad P1 Gen 2 a few weeks ago, and the fan is super noisy, and it gets very hot. The fan noise is so loud that it is embarrassing if anybody is near you. So I decided to return it and get a P53 which is not compact at all and supposed to have better thermal performance. I just received the new laptop and it turned out to be as bad as the other one. I wanted to know if these problems are ever gonna be resolved or I should simply give up on Lenovo.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,157
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad P1 Gen 2 and P53 Loud Fan Noise and Thermal Issue

I haven't used either, but I would expect the P53 to be a little quieter due to the larger case.  What applications are you running?  Both machines have 45-watt, high-power CPUs and I wouldn.t expect eiher to be as quiet as a machine ith a 15-watt processor like a T590 or a P53s

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
vahid-dan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,065
Message 3 of 9

Hi Rich. Thanks for the response.

It can be super noisy running nothing or just a browser with a few regular tabs open. It happens in both Windows and Ubuntu. I'm not sure if it is the case with all the high-end laptops in the market or just Lenovo.

I need to test my new P53 for a longer while but I think P1 Gen 2 has more serious issues. The battery drains very fast and it gets very hot even if it is in standby mode! That can't be normal. I'm almost sure I want to return the P1 Gen 2 and keep testing this new P53 for a few weeks.

On the P53, the SSD is a little noisy. It is not something that bothers me but I don't expect to experience these things on a $1.5K new flagship laptop. Also it is uneven when I put it on my desk!

I really want to stick to Lenovo since I had a great experience with my old T520 laptop and I love the thoghness and excellent keyboard on Thinkpad.

Guru
Views: 1,059
Message 4 of 9

Make sure to check support.lenovo.com or Lenovo Vantage that all your drivers, firmware and BIOS are up-to-date.

If the problems persist, you could attempt to replace the thermal paste yourself, there are plenty of guides online. If there is too much or not enough thermal paste, then the processor could run hotter than the machine was designed. Hence the fan noise.

But the fan noise should be normal under load.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

iGudi
What's DOS?
Views: 688
Message 5 of 9

Any update on your experience. I also started to look at the P1 Gen2 when the specs came out, but need more horsepower - and hope the P53 is the one for me. Hope it has been fixed with bios updated, new drivers and firmware upgrades?
Alex238
Punch Card
Views: 661
Message 6 of 9

Isn't the thermal paste optimally updated at the factory, I found that hard to believe that they build a fancy machine like this and they mess up the thermal paste application. I am not convinced. Maybe is the quality of the paste that makes a difference. Also, can we see a benchmark/temperature chart (XTU) and understand what temperatures we are seeing in these new machines?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 653
Message 7 of 9

Regardless of stories you read, quality and application of thermal paste at the factory is fine.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
bobbie424242
802.11n
Views: 635
Message 8 of 9

The first thing to do when the fans are kicking and you think they should not is to check if there is a process that is using a lot of CPU.

Lenovo ThinkPad P72 - i7-8850H / 16GB DDR4-2400 / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / 1TB HDD / 17.3" UHD / Intel UHD 630 / Quadro P600 / 99W Battery / Linux distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed
vahid-dan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 514
Message 9 of 9

Hi.

After a few weeks of using my new P53 laptop, I can say the thermal problem and excessive fane noise in low (<10%) CPU usage is pretty much gone. It happened several times in the first day and not anymore. The original Bios version was 1.06 and now it is upgraded to 1.10. I'm satisfied overall and want to keep my laptop. :-)

Bests,

Vahid

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors