cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spencertheg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,172
Message 1 of 10

Lenovo Thinkpad W550s Memory upgrade to 16GB and Storage upgrade to 256 (or 512) GB

Hey Lenovo Enthusiasts!

I am about to purchase the Lenovo Thinkpad 550s, and I am tempted to purchase the baseline memory (4GB) and storage (512GB) HDD. 

I want to make sure that I can indeed upgrade the memory to 16GB of RAM and the storage to a 256 (or 512) GB SSD.

In my research earlier on, I noticed that somebody had posted a link to the parts list:

https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/w550s_frubom_20150130.pdf

I don't know what half of this technical jargon is, but from what I gather, I have found an SSD made by Samsung on Amazon, and an 8GB memory made by Data Memory Systems that seem to abide.

SSD:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-256GB-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7KE256BW/dp/B00LMXBOP4

Memory:

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/parts/lenovo/03X6657/

Questions:

1) Could somebody wiser than me please verify that these products will work for the w550s? I was going to purchase them from Crucial, as they say that is is "100% compatible" but I am not sure still.

Crucial: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/thinkpad-w550s

2) In regards to the warranty, does anyone know if I were to mess up the data preloaded on the HDD that is put in the laptop, by trying to transfer it to the SSD, would the warranty cover fixing this?

Kind regards,

Spencer

sbgospe
What's DOS?
Views: 3,982
Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad W550s Memory upgrade to 16GB and Storage upgrade to 256 (or 512) GB

Very disappointing. Yes, I have the same problem (son, since it is your problem!). I note that over 189 people have at least looked at this question you asked before we decided to have you purchase the W550S...and after calling tech support one last time after my son purchased the machine (and was told there should be no issue)-we see BSOD multiple times within an hour.  They happen so quickly that it is hard to even note what the error message is....

I replaced his 512 HD with Samsung SSD 512GB drive. I used a disk duplicator-everything seemed to go great. Then I put in 16GB of RAM-again, everything seemed great. However, the notebook is only now being used frequently as my son is starting school now-and as said above, the BSOD is making me think this has something to do with the SSD or RAM replacement. Yes, obviously, it's fairly easy to replace with the original parts and see if the problem goes away-but he wanted the SSD and more RAM, so even if that fixes the issue-we will likely get rid of the notebook.

BUT:  here is what disappoints me:  absolutely no comment on my son's original questions. I'm guessing I won't get input from Lenovo either....will try to call tomorrow, but we are almost beyond the point where we need to return the SSD/RAM and notebook if we want our money back.

A little guidance from Lenovo would be appreicated before we need to make a decision..

Thanks,

Steve

soymilk69
Punch Card
Views: 3,972
Message 3 of 10

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad W550s Memory upgrade to 16GB and Storage upgrade to 256 (or 512) GB

I believe the use of any non-lenovo parts in the machine will void the warranty.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,947
Message 4 of 10

The last statement is just not true. Memory and disks are considered customer-replaceable. If you buy an aftermarket battery that catches on fire you have a problem. If you break the machine trying to get at the hard drive, the repair is not covered, but changing memory or hard drive will not be a problem. Obviously, the non-Lenovo parts you put in are not warranted by Lenovo.  I don't have a W550s to test with, but there are 16GB DIMMs that will work with 5th generation CPUs, so you can actually get 32GB.  (the 16GB DIMMS are VERY expensive)  You need low-voltage (1.35V) DIMMs.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
dr_glenn
Token Ring
Views: 3,923
Message 5 of 10

My W550s supposedly has one slot occupied with a snigle 8GB DIMM (have not yet opened to confirm). Can I just buy another an insert, or should I be buying in pairs to make up 16 GB total?

Guru
Views: 3,918
Message 6 of 10

Albeit pairs of identical modules is preferred, you can just get another 8GB DDR3L module (1.35v) for the empty slot. You won't notice any perfomance difference.

Cheers!

ThinkPad P1 - i7-8750H/32GB // ThinkPad P70 - Xeon E3-1505M/64GB
ThinkPad W540 (20BG) - i7-4800MQ/32GB // ThinkPad W520 (4282-W4Q) - i7-2720QM/32GB
ThinkPad T450s (20BW) - i7-5600U/12GB // Yoga 900 - i7-6500U/8GB
ThinkPad T61 (7665-CTO) - T7700/4GB // ThinkPad T60p (8741-C2G) - T7400/4GB
spencertheg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,061
Message 7 of 10

Dear AtliJarl, 

Thanks for the previous response.

I bought a Lenovo W550s laptop last August, and last week I spilled water on the keyboard. Now, about 8 buttons on the keyboard (at least), don't work. I am curious, will the warranty help me in any way with any thing? 

Also, I am looking for a replacement (internal) keyboard, and am having trouble finding one. I am pretty sure that the keyboard that shipped with my laptop last fall was not backlit, as the keyboard never lit up (unless I didn't know how to turn it on). Anyways, the Parts No.: 0C44952, ID No.: 57P1ZW, FRU No.:04Y2387, Model No. KM BL-105US. 

When I looked up the part on Lenovo's website, it returned nothing: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/partslookup

So, my questions for you are:
1.) Does the Lenovo warranty help me cover my malfunctioning keyboard?

2.) Is the keyboard that I have, Parts No. 0C44952, a backlit keyboard? 

3.) Where can I get a compatible keyboard replacement for this laptop?

Kind regards,
Spencer
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,051
Message 8 of 10

If you spilled water, the warranty will only cover you if you purchased accidental damage protection.

The part number you list is backlit.  Fn + space turns it on

The link you posted is OK to use

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
spencertheg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,044
Message 9 of 10

Thanks so much Richk!

spencertheg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,028
Message 10 of 10

Hey Richk, 

Sorry to bother you again but one more question:

I removed the SSD harddrive and transfered my important documents to another external drive using another laptop. Now, with the SSD back in my Lenovo W550s, most of the files, folders, programs, start menu, ect... say that they are corrupted. Maybe a file permissions issue? 

How do I reinstall the old school OS Windows 7 that came with my system? I tried calling Lenovo and waited 30 minutes and couldn't get ahold of anyone. 

Thanks!

-Spencer

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors