cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spencertheg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 842
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Thinkpad W550s Water Spilled on Keyboard, Compatible Replacement Keyboard

Dear Lenovo,

I bought a Lenovo W550s laptop last August, and last week I spilled water on the keyboard. Now, about 8 buttons on the keyboard (at least), don't work. I am curious, will the warranty help me in any way with any thing? 

Also, I am looking for a replacement (internal) keyboard, and am having trouble finding one. I am pretty sure that the keyboard that shipped with my laptop last fall was not backlit, as the keyboard never lit up (unless I didn't know how to turn it on). Anyways, the Parts No.: 0C44952, ID No.: 57P1ZW, FRU No.:04Y2387, Model No. KM BL-105US. 

When I looked up the part on Lenovo's website, it returned nothing: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/partslookup

So, my questions for you are:
1.) Does the Lenovo warranty help me cover my malfunctioning keyboard?

2.) Is the keyboard that I have, Parts No. 0C44952, a backlit keyboard? 

3.) Where can I get a compatible keyboard replacement for this laptop?

Kind regards,
Spencer
Khakiass
Token Ring
Views: 810
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad W550s Water Spilled on Keyboard, Compatible Replacement Keyboard

You can find your system's full part list here.  Based on this and your listed forum profile location of the USA, I would say that the proper non-backlit keyboard FRU for you would be 04Y2348 or 04Y2426.  There will be multiple FRUs that will be compatible with your machine, but 04Y2426 is currently priced at $63.00 direct from the IBM wholesale site, just to give you a price approximation.  

The FRU that you listed, 04Y2387, is backlit.  Where did you find this part number?

Unfortunately, unless your laptop was purchased with Accidental Damage Protection / ThinkPad Protection, your hardware warranty will not cover damage due to a spill / drop / cracked LCD screen.  Were you to have it repaired by Lenovo, they would charge you the cost of the part, plus labor for their technician.   If you are unsure of the coverage for your machine, check its serial number here.

spencertheg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 788
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad W550s Water Spilled on Keyboard, Compatible Replacement Keyboard

Hey Khakiass,

Thanks for the help. So the all those four numbers I mentioned, I found on the little white tag on the back of the keyboard. I have attached an image. I think maybe my keyboard was backlit and I just never knew how to turn it on?

Anyways since my keyboard is: 04Y2387, I think I should get that keyboard replacement don't you? 

On Amazon it is $76:

http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-replacement-Backlit-keyboard-Lenovo/dp/B00JR0ES8Y

On NewEgg it is $50:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3DY3CW6149&ignorebbr=1

One more question, I removed the SSD harddrive and transfered my important documents to another external drive using another laptop. Now, with the SSD back in my Lenovo W550s, most of the files, folders, programs, start menu, ect... say that they are corrupted. Maybe a file permissions issue? 

How do I reinstall the old school OS Windows 7 that came with my system? I tried calling Lenovo and waited 30 minutes and couldn't get ahold of anyone. 

Thanks!

-Spencer

Top Kudoed Authors