Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Whiskermoon
Paper Tape
Views: 931
Message 11 of 69

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga P40 - Review

Thanks for your review it helped me to decide in favour of the P40.

Have had it for a week now and I'm FINALLY getting it sorted out. Works great in PS and Animate - the pen is excellent (I've used the SB and the SP from MS - I did not like the Ntrig pen over my Wacom EMR on my five year old Elitebook 2460 but the new Wacom Active pen is great!).

Have at last worked out how to calibrate the display properly, and while it's not bad, it's not in the same league as my desktop and Elitebook Dreamcolor 10 bit displays. Still, the P40 a very nice machine.

I really would like to get more accurate color on the display. Have you any special color profiles that you use? Any suggestions on improving the image?

I will use this machine to do all my animation and Photoshop work and could really use some tips!

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 911
Message 12 of 69

I'm so glad you like your P40. I'm really enjoying mine. 

I haven't delved into it much yet. I've had pretty good luck with the default profile, but I'm open to trying new things! What screen option did you go with? I've made connections with some other P40 owners via social media, and if we don't happen to have the same screen, I'll find someone who does to help. Smiley Wink

Also, I've been hunting pens, screen protectors, and other accessories. I'll post about them soon! Smiley Happy

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 879
Message 13 of 69

Hey folks, I compiled a list of all the accessories I've found to use with my P40. Hope this helps. 

Arthur's P40 Accessories List! Smiley Happy

I'll work on custom settings and other tweaks next. Smiley Wink

Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 848
Message 14 of 69

Wow,..isn't it funny how people can have such different experiences with the same equipment? I just received my Yoga P40 2 days ago and put it through its paces with the programs that I use regularly and it was awful!

I used SketchBook Pro and Mischief and the pen was a really poor performer. After tweaking it as much as possible and making adjustments in Mischief, the line quality was just not good enough for professional work. There were strange lines that occurred during the beginning of a curved line attempt and it basically became so annoying that I just gave up. The pen did not respond well to faster strokes and that was a real deal killer.
I then tried Sketchbook Pro and although the straight line error no longer appeared, there was just enough of a lag on faster strokes to be noticeable and annoying as heck.

For $2K,..I expect and demand stellar pen responsiveness and just did not get it. VERY disappointed.

This tablet was loaded too. I opted for the i7 processor and the 16GB RAM as well as the 512SSD.

Lesson learned and now I'm selling it on the Bay for $1800 and taking the hit. Lenovo wants 300 bucks for a restocking fee so THAT it not going to happen.

Lenovo,..if you are listening....that restocking fee is ridiculous!

Arthur,..I'm happy that this works for you,..but I guess you must have the magic touch or a different  drawing style....because my experience was totally the opposite.

Needless to say that I'm very disappointed as I held out high hopes for this tablet. I am glad that it works for you though and should be clear that others may perhaps like it too. I advise people to wait and see if their local store carries it so that you can test it out for yourself BEFORE buying it and possibly getting stuck.

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 839
Message 15 of 69

I've seen the gamut of responses to the P40 hardware, and my review has put in me in contact with people all over the world. Mostly, the outcomes for folks have been positive. I'm surprised about Mischief and Sketchbook Pro having issues for you. Those have been the pretty bullet proof programs from my own experiences, and exposure to others.

I'm sorry to hear you had problems. Smiley Sad

For purposes of troubleshooting, I recommend the following:

1. Try the factory Lenovo drivers first. If they don't work, remove them before installing from Wacom direct.

2. Try the 64 bit version of whatever software you are using first. Make sure it is utilizing the Quadro M500M card. I have the GPU activity monitor visible on the taskbar just to make sure. This greatly influences lag/latency with certain programs.

3. Check the software you are using to see if it has a stylus sensitivity setting. Sketchbook Pro has such a setting, and I did for the first time feel the need to bring it down from maximum to better match my style with the hardware. Active ES pens have some twitch I've had to adjust for here and there. 

4. Make sure the tip in the Stylus is seated properly. I thought one of my stylus was just defective, but gave the tip a gentle push, felt it give a little, and worked fine afterward. 

Sample of my art style, for anyone that's curious about that. UsagaB02_Banner.jpg

Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 831
Message 16 of 69

Arthur,....obviously it has worked out for you and that's fantastic.

I spent the better part of an evening trying to remedy this but to no avail.  I know others have had success  with their P40 setups.

I'll wait now that I have it boxed up and listed on the Bay and see if there is any movement on it. If I get stuck with it after a week,...I may try one last time to see if there is any other tweaks that might fix it. I have tried just about everything. Thank you for taking the time to offer up some possible fixes.

It would be easy for me to really rip this Yoga P40 and refer to it as the great paperweight that it is (for me)....but in all fairness.....that would not be productive to this conversation and it has obviously worked out well for you and others.

My biggest gripe is the ridiculous restocking penalty that Lenovo slaps on you if you return it. 

Your work looks really great and thanks for sharing.

dcarlton
Fanfold Paper
Views: 803
Message 17 of 69

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the list of accessories. I have two questions:

1. Do you know when the Wacom Bamboo Smart for 2-in-1 devices will be available in the U.S.?

2. Are the IT3 screen protectors removable, or are they intended to be permanent?

Thanks again for sharing your tips and compiling the list.

- Drew

Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 799
Message 18 of 69

I reached out to Wacom support last week and their brillant and  conclusive response was

"We have no idea when the stylus will be available in the US."  You will either pay a ridiculous through the Bay,...around $62.00,....or buy the Lenovo Pro Pen.  Either way ou will need to do something because that twig that sits in the silo of the tablet is horrible.

I think the screen protector can be removed....and is recommended to do so every few months,....although typically with all protectors I tend to go a year before I change mine out although. 

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 789
Message 19 of 69

Hey dcarlton,

1. I'm not sure when it will be available.

It might be never in light of recent announcements. But, a much better product is on the way! There is supposed to be a dual-protocol pen that will work on both N-Trig and Wacom Active ES devices, with twice the pressure sensitivity, AND with tilt functionality. Even if you are not able get the Bamboo Stylus, good things are coming. 

2. Yes, you can remove the IT3 screen protector. 

They actually send two in case you mess up your first attempt. I doubt you'll have to replace it, as it is of a sturdier grade of plastic than the nibs. The texture actually shaves the nibs a little, as it should to replicate drawing on paper.

SogeMoge
Paper Tape
Views: 779
Message 20 of 69

Hello Togotrooper, I have the same problem with wobbly lines and it seems to be driver(reinstalling or updating doesn't work) or hardware problem. This zigzags appeare even while trying to move folder window with pen. 

I wonder if you could tell me what answer did you get from technical support regarding this problem?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors