Thanks for the info - very helpful.

- Drew

Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 899
Message 22 of 69

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga P40 - Review

Soge,

I didn't even bother with tech support as the last experience I had with them proved to be useless and basically accounted for an hour of my life I'll never get back.  I messed with the drivers trying to see if anything might help and changed software settings in the 3 programs that I tried and nothing seemed to have any effect. 

I have a great source of reference in my old Motion LE1700 that uses the traditional Wacom pen (batteryless) has ZERO issues with the same programs. I have 4 different Wacom pens that naturally all work with the Motion tablet equally well.

When drawing a "U" shape in any of these programs,....it's immediately apparent that a slight wobble occures on the curves with the Lenovo.... and yet..... is as smooth as drawn and intended on the Motion tablet.  I cannot stress to you how frustrating that is to me as I really wanted to love this Lenovo. The P40 had everything else that I wanted in a tablet PC,...so returning it really hurts.

My last ditch effort to resolve it will occur today or tomorrow when the screen protector is due to arrive that Arthur highly recommended. If perhaps the matte surface somehow prevents the pen tip from slipping on the glass while drawing curves solves the problem, I might be inclined to keep it.

Also,...another test I conducted really casts a bright light on the issue.  When drawing a diagonal line SLOWLY in Sketchbook Pro using the Lenovo,....it's a wobbly mess. 

Same line, same speed on the Motion,......quite the opposite result; smooth and as straight as I actually drew it.

I'm beginning to see the VAIO Z Canvas in my very near future.

Soge,..if you want to try Lenovo support,.....maybe you'll get lucky. I honestly hope you do,...and if so,.....maybe you can report your findings and solution here in case others have the same issues,

SogeMoge
Paper Tape
Views: 888
Message 23 of 69

I certainly will tell everybody the result. Tech support already has taken an hour of my life redirecting me from one US department to another, instead of Canadian one as I ask. 

Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 869
Message 24 of 69

Soge,

My condolences. Best of luck with tech support.  

I honestly think it's either a driver issue or the horrible "stock" pen that comes with it.

Arthur,....that just got me thinking,....have you had a battery go weak yet with any of your pens?  I wonder if a weaker battery could cause any wobbly line issues?

td

Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 854
Message 25 of 69

Let me clarify that I do know that the pen that comes with the Lenovo is rechargeable per say,..but just wondered if it still could be faulty with a bad rechargeable battery built in....also wondered if anyone with the ProPen or Bamboo Smart has had one of the AAAA batteries go on the them and if so,...what were the obvious symptoms,... if any.

Update: tried the it3 screen protector. No improvement. My work is done here.Over and out.

dcarlton
Fanfold Paper
Views: 815
Message 26 of 69

Togotooner,

Just curious, are you using Windows 10? I had horrible pen performance using Windows 7. (We still use Windows 7 at work, and I was trying to keep my personal system as close to our work systems as possible, so I had purchased the P40 with the downgrade.)

Also, I've attached an image showing some quick lines using the pencil tool in Sketchbook. This is the best performance I've been able to get from the built-in pen.

In any case, sorry to hear that this has been a bad experience, and that the it3 protector didn't help.

- Drew

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 801
Message 27 of 69

It's possible that a weak battery could effect performance, but that hasn't been my experience. When a pen gets low enough on power, it just stops working. Working, then boom, not working. 

That's with the included silo stylus, though. I haven't managed to burn up the batteries on either the Lenovo Thinkpad Pen Pro or the Wacom Bamboo, yet. If I have a different experience with either of those, I'll post it here. 

Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 798
Message 28 of 69

Drew,

Your lines shown in your example are far better than what I'm seeing on mine.  I just can't understand it. I'm using Windows 10.

I did a factory reset last night and then begrudgingly packed it back up and sealed the box. Truly a sad story that will cost me dearly with the lousy restocking fee that Lenovo charges in the end. 

Listen,...I DO understand a restocking fee is put in place by the manufacturer to recoup their losses incurred by no longer being able to sell the returned item as new,....but there's already a huge markup on these things,....so they really still come out ahead even without a restocking fee and selling them as refurbs. In addition to that, 30% borders on pure greed. 10% isn't great,...but I could probably live with that.

Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 792
Message 29 of 69

Arthur,

Thanks for the info. and sharing your findings.

Td

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 727
Message 30 of 69

Oh hey, it looks never, might be now?

https://us-store.wacom.com/Product/Bamboo%20Smart-version-for-select-tablets-and-2-in-1-convertible-...

It it looks like you can order that Wacom pen in the states now! Smiley Happy 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors