Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 899
Message 31 of 69

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga P40 - Review

Maybe not,....that link is already 404. Dead.

Maybe here: Bamboo 2 in 1

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 885
Message 32 of 69

It comes and goes... it was 404 a minute ago and then popped back up. It continually shows in the listing, but the actual product page is intermittently available. It seems to be working as I write this but... yeah. 

It is never simple is it? Smiley Very Happy

dcarlton
Fanfold Paper
Views: 853
Message 33 of 69

Hmmm, if you try to add it to your shopping cart, an error pops up. Doesn't seem to be available.

Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 851
Message 34 of 69

Welcome to the world of Wacom. The madness of it all.

It's what happens when you have had a monoploy on the market for so long.

doherrick
Punch Card
Views: 568
Message 35 of 69

Excellent review. How about a 1+ year follow-up?
Any issues with the OneLink+ dock?
I have been waiting for a p41 with, hopefully, a TB3 port but I found a p40 (same configuration as yours) with the dock for $2000 and may just go ahead and purchase it.
Thanks

tjok
Punch Card
Views: 541
Message 36 of 69

Instead of a future p41 (which maybe will never come), the yoga 720 could be considered a follow up. Instead of 2 cores, it has a quad core. And a nice leap forward with the graphics card. But maybe not a choice if you need the quadro of the p40.

doherrick
Punch Card
Views: 536
Message 37 of 69

Thanks
I like the KB more on the p40 and I have to have the stick and 3 button track pad. Also, I like the 14" form. The 720 is definitely a good value. I really don't need any integrated graphics. I looked at the Yoga 460 but once you add 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD, the cost is the same as the p40. Lenovo has way too many Yoga models (and ThinkPad).
Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 533
Message 38 of 69

Too bad I returned my P40 just a week after buying it,....it was loaded to the max and I would have sold it you for well under 2k.  For my application as a graphic artist and cartoonist,....that thing was a dog! Horrible pen performance.                     The 720 looks so much better, but after my last experience with the P40,....I just can't trust it.  Best of luck.

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 523
Message 39 of 69

Sorry to hear your bad experience. coudl you share the name of the application?

During the first days I often found the touch/pen driver eating up about 30% of the CPU or more on idle. if my memory serves me well, there was a solution to roll back the driver. do you think that coudl have been an issue?

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 444
Message 40 of 69

Hey, thank you. Yeah, a 1+ year follow up is a good idea because the P40 Yoga is still a very relevant. I will do it.

It is still the best mobile computing solution for illustrators, engineers, and designers. There isn't going to be a P41 Yoga (I'm relatively certain), and the X1 Yoga 2nd Generation didn't end up getting a premium graphics option this year.

I've had mine for fifteen months, and it still runs like new. No issues with the OneLink+ Dock. I use it every day to charge the P40 and connect to periphrials. 

I have looked at other Lenovo products, the Surface Pro, Wacom Mobile Workstation, the HP Spectre and haven't found anything that measures up to the P40 in terms of features, warranty, and price. I usually buy a new device in March, updating my rig yearly, but I'm going to keep my P40 Yoga because there is nothing to buy right now, and probably won't be until after CES next year. 

Wacom's new Bamboo Ink Smart Stylus works great with the P40 Yoga, and with the very light activation force of that pen, it transformed my experience when I sketch from good, to awesome. Highly recommend that stylus with your P40.

The X1 Yoga Second Gen does have two TB3 ports, but again, no premium graphics option. If it had gotten Intel Iris Plus graphics, I would have given it consideration as replacement (OLED screen!) as many folks claim it has slightly better pen latancy than Quadro. That said, I wouldn't choose an NVIDIA gaming/consumer GPU over Quadro, or Integrated Intel Graphics. 

Given my experience with various manufacturers on service, including Microsoft, I would buy nothing you plan to use for serious work and computing that doesn't say THINKPAD on the case.

Also, if you plan to go Linux there are reliable drivers for the P40 Yoga and the Quadro GPU as of about August last year, and I know a couple of designers that already went with Ubuntu Studio. Just as an option. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors