Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 1,132
Message 41 of 69

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga P40 - Review

I'm with you on the track point and form factor. Really like. Now, the 15" Yoga 720 is a pretty decent machine for the money. I've recommended it to people, but not for doing illustration, design, or engineering work. Coders and IT people seem to really like it. And yeah, Quad Core processor. <3

Here are the reasons, I (personally for my own usage) wouldn't choose the 720 over a P40 Yoga:

Pen usage feels like an after thought relative to design of the 720. It doens't have a 6.5 mm stylus built into the chassis as a back up if my 9.5mm AES pen runs out of batteries suddenly. The P40 Yoga was announced and set out for demonstration at an Autodesk event, with pen input being a key focus of the design. 

I like my docking options with the P40 better. 

I like my warranty options with the P40 better. I have killed both a Thinkpad and a consumer Lenovo Laptop. In both cases Lenovo handled it, and either repaired or replaced my device. With the Thinkpad, it was handled with white gloves and was far more convienent.

Aforementioned form factor and the Trackpoint and three button trackpad.

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 1,187
Message 42 of 69

Hey, thanks! Smiley Happy I should do a 1+ year follow up review. The P40 Yoga is still a very relevant mobile computing option for illustrators, designers, and engineers. I usually update my mobile rig in March, or therabouts, but I'm keeping my P40 Yoga for another year. There's nothing really to buy right now. 

No issues with the OneLink+ dock. Just make sure you update the drivers and firmware when you get one. 

I doubt there will be a P41 Yoga. The X1 Yoga 2nd Gen has two TB3 ports, but it doesn't have a premium graphics option this year. Would have been nice with that OLED screen! 

I can't recommend the P40 enough, it's really the best combination of features, service, and options. 

Definitely check out Wacom's new Bamboo Ink Smart Stylus. It works really well with the P40 and the low activation of the pen makes sketching nicer. 

Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,185
Message 43 of 69

It was just one of those things that I chalk up as a lesson learned. First mistake on my part was to base my purchase decision off of reviews from other people. Everyone has different expectations, tolerances and requiments.

I spent the first few days just trying to get the line quality to a level that I could accept for my illustration work and it just failed miserablely every time.  I called Lenovo and we rolled back drivers and I danced as much as I could through their c level tech support attempts, but then the real battle began when I told them I wanted a full refund.

After explaining for several hours that this was NOT a case of "buyer's remorse" and was a case of their equipment not being able to meet my professional expectations, I finally had to take matters into my own hands and contacted the CEO of Lenovo.

Only then,..did they agree to take it back. What a nightmare experience all the way around. No wonder IBM took them over.

Now rant aside,.....the 720 just looks to be a much more robust and powerful tablet than its weaker cousin the P40. It can't be denied that more adaptability via updated connection options, a more robust graphics card (on the higher end model) and a better sceen makes for a much more pleasant experience.  Keep in mind that software keeps getting more advanced and equally demanding on the hardware....not the converse of that.

At the end of the day though,....how does the pen respond? That is a biggie.

Now that our local Best Buy has the 720 in the high end version on display,...I will actually be able to bring my stylus's to the store and test them out. I have several of which two are guaranteed to work on that tablet.

You obviously have to make up your own mind on what to get,...and my advice would be to try the exact model and config that you want.   I know that is easier said than done, but what is your money and time worth? The time and hassle of dealing with a $2k let down,....vs. some time and maybe gas to find a location that has what you want on display.  Don't be a fool like I was the first time. I should have driven 200 miles to test the P40 before buying it from Lenovo online. Nobody to blame but me.

You may like the P40...who knows. It may suit all of you needs.

Good luck.

Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,183
Message 44 of 69

Oh....and as for the applications that I tested the pen with; Mischief, Clip Paint Studio, ArtRage and Sketchbook Pro. It was choppy on all curves during a fast stroke, and at the end of many of the straight line strokes, the line would do a weird bend. I tried re-installing the drivers, rolling back drivers, adding different drivers and nothing improved. My old Motion LE17 Tablet PC had none of these issues and that thing was around 8 years old. Strange.
ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 1,178
Message 45 of 69

Could have been a bad rig.

The P40, like all mobile computing devices with built in pen input, has a learning curve. There's a certain degree of acquired kinesthesia that comes with every device. It took about 120 hours to learn to use my first Wacom Intuos drawing tablet back in the day. When the first Surface Pro came out, it felt like I had to learn how to draw all over again, because I was back to drawing directly on the media via the screen.

Since that time I've used Surface Pros, Thinkpads, and a Lenovo Miix Tablet long enough to be able to fluently render my things with the pens. Each time, I had to adjust for sensor density, pen activation, and make adjustments to drivers, and the settings in my drawing programs. That said, I have gotten bad devices, had to jump through the hoops to return them, and had varying experiences in that regard. 

These are the risks and burden of use if you want to have a mobile computing option that takes pen input. It doesn't matter what you buy. 

Heey, you talked to YY? Super nice guy. I got to meet him at CES last year. I'm the derpy guy with long hair, fifth from the left. Smiley Very Happy

YY2016CES.jpgGood luck with the 720. I've tried drawing and rendering with GeForce graphics, and wasn't impressed. It is possible this current generation will provide better rendering accuracy. Let us know what kind of outcome you get!

Definitely, if you can try before you buy, that's always better. I flew to Vegas and got to try the P40 Yoga at CES 2016. I'm not sure I would have had the confidence to buy if I hadn't been able to try one out first.

@Togotooner wrote:
Oh....and as for the applications that I tested the pen with; Mischief, Clip Paint Studio, ArtRage and Sketchbook Pro. It was choppy on all curves during a fast stroke, and at the end of many of the straight line strokes, the line would do a weird bend. I tried re-installing the drivers, rolling back drivers, adding different drivers and nothing improved. My old Motion LE17 Tablet PC had none of these issues and that thing was around 8 years old. Strange.

We have some overlap then. I use Mischief (to ink) and Sketchbook Pro (to paint/render/thumbnail) quite a bit these days, and find the outcome I get on my P40 is good for what I do. The picture below is a sample of what I'm working on right now. For web/digital, and small print items, I don't have to step off my P40 Yoga at all, I can get it all done on that form factor. 

I do a little finish work on my desktop for anything that's going to print specifically, and especially if it's going to be anything larger than a 6x9 book cover. For my wife's poster presentations at conferences, I will sometimes use my desktop to make fine adjustments. For big, 300 DPI stuff I have to step in and shave lines, drop the blur brush around in Photoshop, and so forth, but I don't fault the P40 for that, nor would I for any other similar device. 

Definitely consider the output media you are attempting to produce in that regard. I feel like I'm writing that 1+ year review already. Smiley LOL

EamonSample.jpg

tjok
Punch Card
Views: 1,167
Message 46 of 69

I'm surprised to see people having bad experience with the pen on the lenovo's.

I have experienced the wacom pen on the Surface Pro, the consumer yoga and the p40 yoga.

And all of them have windows settings as default enabled with touch and flicks for the hand/fingers.

Those settings interfere with the wacom pen. Once you disable all those touch/flicks settings, the Wacom pen is super precise. Otherwise you can't draw a straight line.

When the settings are right, they are amazing machines to draw on.

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 1,159
Message 47 of 69

Interesting comparison. Would you say p40's pen is equally good to surface products?
ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 1,160
Message 48 of 69

@tjok wrote:

Those settings interfere with the wacom pen. Once you disable all those touch/flicks settings, the Wacom pen is super precise. Otherwise you can't draw a straight line.

Seriously? I don't think I have those turned off. I've probably just trained myself to work around them. I wonder if that would fix some of the issues I've had with my Thinkpad 10 2nd Gen. I have to try this now! Thank you. Smiley Happy 

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 1,155
Message 49 of 69

@jdrodrig wrote:
Interesting comparison. Would you say p40's pen is equally good to surface products?

Yeah, I think the MPP is comparible to Wacom Active ES, and has been easier to get nibs for MMP in the past... but that might change. Maybe. Smiley Tongue

The new Surface Pen only went up for pre-order this week, and the new Surface shortly before. It might be worth waiting to see how they are if a Surface Pro is interesting to you. It does have Iris Plus graphics, and the pen is supposed to be amazing. Not crazy about how Microsoft chose to release the device, or how they prevaricated with consumers about the new Surface Pen.

I'm a Princess about that sort of thing though. Smiley Wink 

The brand new Bamboo Ink Smart Stylus I'm using on my P40 is actualy dual-channel. It can be set to work on both Wacom ES and MMP stuffs like Surface Pro, and probably the HP Spectre as well. That said, the stylus is mysterious. No idea what the specs are because Microsoft and Wacom did their usual terrible job marketing it. *sigh*

All I can say is that it is super nice to use, and feels great in the hand. 

Surface Pro Artist has a really keen write up about all this: here.

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 1,144
Message 50 of 69

Oh my God, haha. 

Pulled out my Thinkpad 10 2nd Gen that I haven't been as happy with. Even after I updated the drivers to test the Bamboo Ink, input wasn't as nice as my P40 Yoga or X1 Tablet 2nd Gen. It had been relegated to just note-taking and browsing as the sketching experience wasn't that keen.

Turned off flicks, rebooted, and it's like a different device. 0_0 I'm trying this on my X1 and P40 now. 

Thank you! <3 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors